Chit Chat

Marriage License/Certificate?

Not sure about marriage license rules... Do we apply for the marriage license/certificate in DC (where we live and pay taxes) or in Northern Virginia (where we are having the ceremony and reception)?

Re: Marriage License/Certificate?

  • Options
    All states have different rules.  I live in Utah and am getting married in NY...we HAVE to get our license in NY.  Call your local City Hall and the City Hall in the town you are getting married in and they will tell you all the rules. Good Luck :)
  • Options
    Typically you get your license in the state where you are getting married, not where you live.  Call the clerk of the Virginia county and find out what you'd have to do to apply for a license.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that you have to get it in the county where the wedding will take place.  We live in California but the wedding is in Las Vegas, and we have to get the license through Clark County, NV.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

    Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm going to ditto everybody so far, because I'm pretty sure wherever you're getting married is where you need the license from.

    If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

    "Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I think it's where you are getting married, not where you live. Check with local/state offices though just to make sure.
  • Options
    I live in VA and county doesn't matter but you need a VA licence to get married here.  You get it the day you apply and you can get married that day if you want to so you'll just have to stop by a clerks office when you're in VA.  They're good for 60 days so you could do it 2 months ahead of time or the day of, whatever works for you.
  • Options
    oh, forgot to mention,
    you might want to check with different clerks offices about their procedures.  If you don't live nearby make sure they do send copies of your marriage certificate in the mail.  Our office does not and we didn't know that.  We had to go back and buy copies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards