Chit Chat
Options

Would love some advice...

Hi girls! I'm having some trouble with making some big decisions and I would really appreciate any advice you have to share. 
Lately I've been feeling pretty apathetic about my wedding planning. Which is a terrible thing, I know. The more and more I try to plan things, the less and less I get excited. I started out wanting a big wedding, lots of dancing, all the usual things. But the more I get into the details, the more I think about just running off to vegas with my fiance, ya know? 
I've got a girly side, so I definitely dreamed about my perfect day, the usual. But when it actually comes down to it, my minimalistic do things striaghtforward side keeps kicking in. 
I'm easily stressed, and an introvert. So I have a hard time planning something this big in general. 
I'm just lost. 

We've considered doing a bigger wedding, 170 people or so. Dancing, dessert, lawn games, all that good stuff.
But recently I considered doing a smaller wedding; family, very close friends, and the wedding party. About 50 people? And just doing a nice dinner out with everyone to celebrate. I think I'm more excited about that idea. More laid back, and more time to enjoy family, etc. (Possibly even more money conscious?)
We also thought we could do just a get together/game night to see other friends a week or so after our honeymoon. Not specifically related to the wedding.

I'd just love some outsider opinions and advice on how to get excited! Have any of you dealt with this feeling? Will I later regret doing something smaller, since I dreamed about a big one when I was a little girl? Haha, I don't know. I feel ridiculous. 

Thank you in advance!

Re: Would love some advice...

• Options
    You and your FI should sit down together and figure out what you are both willing and interested in doing to further the planning of this wedding, then make your plans accordingly.  If you don't feel excited about or interested in planning a 170 person shindig with lawn games and such, don't plan it.  Stop worrying about what you thought you wanted when you were five, and start figuring out what you want to do now, as an adult.

Seriously.  What did you want to do as a career when you were five?  Are you doing that?  Do you regret not following through with whatever cockamamie career plan your five year old self came up with?  I don't get why women are under the delusion that our weddings need to be whatever we thought of when we were little kids.  That's an absurd way to make life decisions.  
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-love-some-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:302eb12b-b6c5-4ee9-9259-fe40367cdd87Post:814dd708-8c7a-431c-9446-9a5bff215c6d">Re: Would love some advice...</a>:
    [QUOTE]You and your FI should sit down together and figure out what you are both willing and interested in doing to further the planning of this wedding, then make your plans accordingly.  If you don't feel excited about or interested in planning a 170 person shindig with lawn games and such, don't plan it.  Stop worrying about what you thought you wanted when you were five, and start figuring out what you want to do now, as an adult. Seriously.  What did you want to do as a career when you were five?  Are you doing that?  Do you regret not following through with whatever cockamamie career plan your five year old self came up with?  I don't get why women are under the delusion that our weddings need to be whatever we thought of when we were little kids.  That's an absurd way to make life decisions.  
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you for that. I needed a reminder! I agree with you, just because I said so when I was five, doesn't mean I have to do it. The difference is, I still thought I'd like something like that even a month or so after I became engaged. So I'm just a little hesatant to throw it out the window, just because I've become stressed. Or if I truly would enjoy something more intimate. I've never done this before, you see. ;) And I don't plan on getting married again!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_would-love-some-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:302eb12b-b6c5-4ee9-9259-fe40367cdd87Post:9d6be37b-b80c-4561-ad61-bff0dd0cb508">Re: Would love some advice...</a>:
    [QUOTE]What does your FI want? It's his day too. See where you can compromise. Say he wants the big 170 person wedding and you want the 50 person wedding. Maybe compromise at 100 people and a more casual reception. If you have awhile, think about it and talk to your FI.
    Posted by laurelrenee1[/QUOTE]

This!  And don't feel pressured by anyone/thing (wedding magazines, parents, whatever) to do anything you really don't want to do.  
    Also, there's an article on OffBeatBride about being a more shy/introverted bride that I liked.
    <a href="http://offbeatbride.com/2009/03/weddings-for-shy-people" rel="nofollow">http://offbeatbride.com/2009/03/weddings-for-shy-people</a>

And, if your schedule allows it, can you take a couple weeks off active wedding planning?  Not looking at magazines or pinterest or talking about it might take it off the forefront of your mind so maybe your subconscious can process what it really wants.
  • Options
    OP- I'm an introvert who is also easily overwhelmed.  I am actually planning a "big" wedding with 176 people invited.  I didn't have any wedding fantasies when I was a little girl.  I used to pretend I was in college or living in the very distant past.  I was a strange kid.  Lol 

I feel comfortable with what we have planned in part because I was in my sister's wedding and it was about 200 people.  The fact that I survived that AND had a good time helped me know I could handle it for my own wedding.  Most of the people on our guest list are family as well, and I couldn't imagine not having them there.  Knowing how I am, my mom actually said to me, "Are you having a big wedding because you think you are supposed to, or because you want to?"  It at least gave me another chance to think about it, and it IS what I want.  (It should be noted that everytime I ask FI his opinion, he just says, "whatever you want is fine".  I do know from experience that if he REALLY has an opinion it makes its way out, but normally he is pretty carefree.)

I agree with dtbluv.  Take some time off from everything wedding.  If you are like me and you overthink everything, it might help to step back from it for a while.  And small is just as great as big!  I know someone who just got married and they had 24 guests in all.  It was perfect, just what the B&G wanted, and everyone had a great time.  
  • Options
    I remember times during planning when I felt like I wanted to just run off and elope or have a destination wedding. Sometimes it is good to just take a step back and leave planning on the back burner for a week or so just to have some stress free time for yourself with FI. 
  • Options
    Thank you all for the helpful advice. I am planning on taking a step a back from it all. Also, I talked to my FI and he said whatever makes me most excited. He's wonderful. 

We have a cooking class together tonight! I'm looking forward to it and I plan to avoid thinking about the wedding. :)

• Options
    I think you've gotten some good ideas and have the right idea so far.  I just want to add that you shouldn't feel terrible or think it's a terrible thing to feel apathetic or less than overjoyed when planning your wedding.  Some people love planning events, but other people just don't enjoy it.  Don't feel like something is wrong with you or that you are apathetic about your marriage just because you aren't excited about planning the wedding itself.  

Unless you're planning something very soon, you have plenty of time to take a step back from the planning.  If you want to put it aside and tell yourself you'll get back to it after the holidays, that's fine.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards