Chit Chat
Options

My sister is being a brat, how do I handle it?

I'm only going to have my best friend (MoH), my two sisters (BMs), and my fiance's daughter (Jr. BM) in my lineup.
My 27 year old sister told me that she doesn't want to stand anywhere near my MoH because she doesn't like her and never has.
I told her that she's nearly 30, a mother of 2, and she just needed to suck it up. It's my day, and I can put her anywhere I want.
She got all huffy and hasn't talked to me in a week. (when we usually talk everyday)
Do I really have to bow to her snotty request, or can I just keep the same order that I had before?

Re: My sister is being a brat, how do I handle it?

• Options
    edited April 2010
    She's your sister. Try extra hard to be nice to her. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thats a tuff call. I wish I had an answer. good luck
  • Options
    I would keep your order, she doesn't have to talk to the girl just stand next to her for you. Just explain to her why its important to you. I highly doubt she will make an issue of it when the day comes.
  • Options
    Is there a reason why you want them to be next to each other, rather than having your other sister standing between them? If that seems "acceptable" to her, that seems like it would be an easy compromise to keep everyone happy.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sister-being-brat-handle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:3824a1b4-d839-44d1-b3ae-2c1154453d35Post:0016c40c-4d50-4721-905a-de842b3226ad">Re: My sister is being a brat, how do I handle it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there a reason why you want them to be next to each other, rather than having your other sister standing between them? If that seems "acceptable" to her, that seems like it would be an easy compromise to keep everyone happy.
    Posted by PixieChinchilla[/QUOTE]

<div><span style="color:#000000;font-family:Times;font-size:medium;line-height:normal;" class="Apple-style-span"><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-repeat:initial;background-attachment:initial;-webkit-background-clip:initial;-webkit-background-origin:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;">She wants to be on the end. Farthest away as possible. My Jr. BM is only 6. So it would look really awkward to have a 'grown up' on the end. </div></span></div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sister-being-brat-handle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:3824a1b4-d839-44d1-b3ae-2c1154453d35Post:ab1692df-ae2b-4e1d-bbc6-fe66eee3b397">My sister is being a brat, how do I handle it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm only going to have my best friend (MoH), my two sisters (BMs), and my fiance's daughter (Jr. BM) in my lineup. My 27 year old sister told me that she doesn't want to stand anywhere near my MoH because she doesn't like her and never has. I told her that she's nearly 30, a mother of 2, and she just needed to suck it up. <strong>It's my day, and I can put her anywhere I want.</strong> She got all huffy and hasn't talked to me in a week. (when we usually talk everyday) Do I really have to bow to her snotty request, or can I just keep the same order that I had before?
    Posted by Skooter26[/QUOTE]
    This is where you screwed up. She's being petty, but so are you. If it makes your sister uncomfortable, don't make her stand next to the MOH. It's not ONLY about you.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I'd bump the 6 year old to flower girl, which is much more age appropriate, and have your sister on the end.   That's just me, though.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    I'd tell her that you haven't worked it out yet, and not to worry about it.  Then at the rehearsal, I'd tell them to go figure out their order.  She can stand on the end if she wants.  Who cares?  

She'll most likely have forgotten about it by then.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sister-being-brat-handle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:3824a1b4-d839-44d1-b3ae-2c1154453d35Post:bad02352-1c75-4d58-b964-a9edb13c858e">Re: My sister is being a brat, how do I handle it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My sister is being a brat, how do I handle it? : She wants to be on the end. Farthest away as possible. My Jr. BM is only 6. So it would look really awkward to have a 'grown up' on the end. 
    Posted by Skooter26[/QUOTE]

Well, then you might consider offering her the compromise of putting your other sister between them, rather than putting her all the way at the end. You're both being overly stubborn about it, so explain why you don't want her all the way at the very end, and hope that she sees your side and takes the compromise so everyone can be comfortable.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm curious why the 6 year old is a jr. bridesmaid and not a flower girl? Personally, I've never heard of a jr. bridesmaid being 6 years old but more along the lines of their early-mid teens. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I can't stick the Jr. BM as a flower girl, I've already got 2. My stubborn sister's daughters.

You guys have good insight. You're right. I bet she'll forget about it by then. And if not, I doubt she'll make a scene in front of my mom...probably.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_sister-being-brat-handle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:3824a1b4-d839-44d1-b3ae-2c1154453d35Post:5664737c-95e0-41bc-a65e-346a34e2c1bd">Re: My sister is being a brat, how do I handle it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm curious why the 6 year old is a jr. bridesmaid and not a flower girl? 
    Posted by eav2c[/QUOTE]

<div><span style="color:#000000;font-family:Times;font-size:medium;line-height:normal;" class="Apple-style-span"><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-repeat:initial;background-attachment:initial;-webkit-background-clip:initial;-webkit-background-origin:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;">It's because she's my fiance's daughter & I wanted to include her more than my two flower girl nieces that are 6 & 3.</div></span></div>
  • Options
    To be honest I probably would have reacted the same way you did Skooter - just shut up and stand in the bloody line-up. I'm asking you to stand next to her, not give her a kidney!

Some people eh?

Ignore it. Nod and smile and then on the day, just let them at it themselves. She'll either forget all about it, stand next to your MOH just to save face or...well...cause a scene. If she causes a scene, she's showing herself up, not you. And, you know, if she DOES cause a scene that gives you carte blanche to smack the face off her. THEN she'll know who's boss, right?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards