Chit Chat
Options

Last Name

I can't decide if when we get married if I want to replace my middle name with my maiden name or just drop my maiden name. What's everyone else doing or going to do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Last Name

• Options
    I'm going the traditional route and taking my FH last name. It goes very nicely with my name and I am excited to take it.
  • Options
    I'm going to not decide for a while and spend a few months trying everything out to see what feels right before making a final decision.  It's not like you can ONLY change your name when you get married -- you could wait months or YEARS to change it.  I figure that as long as I'm decided by the time we have kids, I'm good.
  • Options
    im going to be rocking the hyphenated name.
  • Options
    Taking FH's last name.
  • Options
    I'm keeping my last name.  FI was surprisingly cool with it.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about becoming First Maiden Married too - haven't completely decided, FI thinks my middle name sounds better with his last name (my last name is VERY last name-y, if that makes sense). Still trying to decide. Good luck!
  • Options
    i dropped my middle name and I'm now Firstname Maidenname HisLastname

Technically, my maiden name is my middle name now
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I thought about hyphenating the names, but my last name is 9 letters and his is 11. That just seems way too long. Since Imost of my family uses my first and middle name as if its one word, I think I'm just going to drop my last name and take FIs.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
  • Options
    I'm going to take my FH last name. I'm excited to be Mrs. HisLastName
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I think maybe I confused some with my question. I'm taking his last name. No question about that one. I just didn't know if I wanted to be 1stname middlename hislastname or 1stname maidenname hislastname. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm ditching my maiden name, because my middle name has meaning to me. Plus, my maiden name really doesn't work as a middle name. I did consider making my maiden name my new middle name, but I quickly decided that wasn't an option I liked, so the only thing changing is my last name. :]
  • Options
    We're both just keeping all of our names as-is. No changing at all.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I haven't decided yet.  i want to keep my last name because it has been a part of me for so long.  But I also want to take his last name.  I don't want to drop my middle name because it was given to me in honor of my grandmother.  I may end up using my first, middle, maiden amd his last name.  Yeah it's a bit long, but I want to hold on to my names for sentimental reasons.
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • Options
    I'm taking his last name...I feel that's the "right" thing to do (yes I know there's no "right")  but I couldn't imagine not taking his.  That's one of the big things about getting married for me, having his name :)  Plus, I think it's an awesome last name and my initials won't change! lol
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    It's going to be hard to give my name up. It's going to take some getting used to when my students call me by my married name. Plus I like my last name much better. Oh well.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm now First Middle Married.
    My First and Middle came from my mom, who I'm very close with, so I kept it.
    My Maiden came from my father, who I was never close with, so I dropped it.

I teach at a college where the average age is 29, so everyone is getting married - or it seems that way.  Here's how I see the name game:

50% = First Maiden Married
    40% = First Middle Married
    5% = First Middle Maiden (not changing the name at all)
    4% = First Middle Maiden-Married
    1% = First Middle Maiden Married (yeah, all four names as the new legal name)
  • Options
    I'm just adding "de Hislastname" on the end of mine. He threw a fit, tears and all when I mentioned not changing my last name. I'm hispanic and have no family left so keeping that part of me and passing it onto our children was really important to me. After that idea bombed, I suggested hyphenating, a fit was thrown about that as well. I told him the farthest I would go was adding his last name to mine with the "de" and our children would have to be "de Hislastname" as well and surprisingly he's okay with that but his mother on the other hand... not so much.
    Visit Vineyard.weddings.com
  • Options
    You could always use your maiden last name as your kids middle name. That way your passing it on and they have his last name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I kept my name.  We're even discussing having our children having my last name, instead of his.  (Mine is interesting and kind of great.  His is not.)
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    This is the one thing that means a lot to my future husband: taking his last name.  I just wanted to hyphen it but I'm going go my first middle hislastname.  It doesn't really flow though.  Whatever, I'll get used to it!!!
    September 2011 August Siggy Challenge- Drag Queens!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Dropping my last name and taking his...call me a traditionalist, but I want the world to know I'm his.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm keeping my middle name. I love my middle name. I am taking his last name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards