Chit Chat
Options

Signing New Name

Hey everyone!

So I tried changing my signature to fit my fiancé's last name and it's so hard! Although we've had some fun together watching me try lol. For those of you who are married, how did you make the switch? Has this been difficult for anyone else?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Signing New Name

• Options
    I've had my "new" last name for about 6 months. I have no regrets about changing my name, but for some reason, signing the new name still trips me up a bit. 90% of the time when I sign for my card at a store, I just sign my old name, without even thinking about it, it's just a reflex for me.

I've signed my name the exact same way pretty much since I learned cursive in third grade ... a habit that's almost 20 years old is hard to break, lol. As I get more used to my "new" name, I'm hoping signing it becomes more natural to me.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I've been having the same problem.  I'm actually still mostly signing my new name because I haven't changed it with my bank yet.  (Doing that today.)  I think it will just take a while to retrain yourself, muscle memory is a powerful thing.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I've been married a year and I still sign my old last name. Old habbits are hard to break.
    Crystal Bolos-Steiniger www.sportsthemedweddings.com info@sportsthemedweddings.com
  • Options
    I've been doing it for a week and have only done it correctly once.  I hope that once everything is all legal I'll get used to it. 

Practice is key I think.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You can't read my name anyways and FI name is the same amount of Letters so after many failed attempts FI said just keep it the same. So thats my plan :-)
  • Options
    Oddly enough, I haven't had any problems at all remembering which name to sign. The first few weeks were a bit confusing, trying to remember which place had me with which name, but as they all get switched over its the easiest thing in the world for me to remember. My old last name was a little long and cumbersome, and I was really looking forward to switching it, so maybe that helps.
  • Options
    I think it is completely normal. I still have to think before I sign anything. I still have one bank acct that is just in my name, so I really have to think when I am using my check cards.

Be patient, you will get used to it eventually. I agree, old habits are hard to break.
  • Options
    i can't even imagine trying to sign a new name after so many years.  i'd feel like someone in witness protection!!

i kept my name in my past marriage and plan to do the same thing this time. :)
  • Options
    The other day I had to sign my old name on something and couldn't do it.  I automatically signed my married name.  I told DH I was official.  I can't even sign my old name without consciously thinking about it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It's been almost two months and there has only been one time I can think of when I signed my maiden name, and unluckily it was when I was signing our rent check last month! I do mentally remind myself every time I go to sign something, though. haha. My problem, more often than when I'm signing, is when someone asks me my name. I still have to pause between saying my first and last name to remind myself that it's different now.
  • Options
    I've been practicing early because I know it will be tricky to get used to. I sign my full first and last name in cursive, and FI's last name has a z in it! I hate the cursive z! It's like whoever invented cursive just got tired of it towards the end and said, "you know what? Screw it. It's just going to be some random squiggle." I have a feeling it will take a long, long time to figure out how I like it. Heck, I might just end up printing my name for a while.
    April 2011 November Siggy: Venue Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards