Chit Chat
Options

overwhelmed

its not that i dont want to get married.. i just don't want to plan the wedding. i'm not really excited about it. i'm not really a frilly kinda gal. i don't want people to go out of their way. i don't want to spend money on things that will get used once. it's in two months. i should probably start figuring something out. i'm just so stressed out with life right now that this stupid wedding is the last thing on my mind... it's just one more thing to get stressed out about. but everyone is expecting it to happen then. i don't even know where to begin. this is supposed to be happy. i'm supposed to be excited. i'm almost dreading it.

Re: overwhelmed

• Options
    There are a lot of ways to have a wedding that are low-stress and low-budget.  Have you considered:

- Getting married at the court-house with a few close friends/family, then taking them out to dinner afterward?

- Getting married at home or in a pretty park or garden with a few close friends/family, then taking them out to dinner afterward?

- Eloping?

- Having a small destination wedding?

- Having a larger wedding in a very casual environment (think backyard barbecue)?

There are a lot of options for weddings from big and fancy to small and casual and absolutely everything in between.   There is no one right way to have a wedding.  Also, I think weddings are trending to the smaller, more intimate, less formal, and certainly less expensive as people have smaller budgets now.   

Sit down with your fiance and think about what kind of "feel" you both envision.  Big/small?  Formal/casual?  Religious/secular?  Indoor/outdoor?  Traditional/nontraditional?   First you should consider what the TWO OF YOU want for your wedding, not what would please others.  Once you figure it out, you can start thinking of ways to make it happen:-)  We would all be glad to help you come up with ideas.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Check out this website...

It has all kinds of different wedding ideas from elopements, to DIY, to the big shebang.  Also, lots of writings and photos of different ways people have celebrated their marraige.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    One of my friends was supposed to get married in September, and in July, the only thing she had was the dress. She just was not into it. The next thing I knew, she and her fiance were in Vegas eloping. When they came back, they invited a bunch of friends over for a BBQ.

One of my bridesmaids got married very quickly and planned her wedding in about 2 weeks. She has a friend who is a judge who married them in her backyard under a $20 arch from Michaels. Afterward, we had cake, champagne/wine/beer and fruits/cheese/veggies. I had never been to a wedding like that before, but I loved it. 

Whenever I got a little overwhelmed in my planning, I always reminded myself I had those perfectly simple, perfectly lovely options. 

Good luck!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Figure out what is important to you now. If I were you, I would buy a great dress off the rack and invite my 20 closest friends and family to witness your marriage and then treat them to a fabulous dinner afterwards. It doesn't have to cost a ton.

For only two months out, the idea of planning a 150 person all out dinner/dancing party sounds very stressful and not fun.
  • Options
    Ask who you're wanting to please. It sounds like you are terrified of the idea of a big fancy wedding, but you already have a date. Does that mean that you're FI or family has put the idea of a "real" or large wedding into your head, or is that something that you just assumed had to happen because of the wedding industry, movies, or just a general preconception? 

I agree with PPs, there are plenty of low-key options for getting married. But you need to figure out where you stand, and where your FI stands. If it's him that wants a larger wedding, then you are going to have to compromise on some aspects. If it's family that is going to be an issue, then you may need to compromise or work on budget issues (depending on who's paying). Whatever you do, figure out what you want first, and don't let anyone steamroll you into being miserable. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards