Chit Chat
Options

Rant

I just need to vent somewhere, so sorry in advance.

I currently have a roommate (who is a guy), and FI and I take turns staying at each other's place. I love my roommate to death, and he's my best guy friend, but OMG. I HATE HIM AS A ROOMMATE. Before August, I lived with FI and his 3 other roommates who never cleaned after themselves. I was the only one who cleaned or did the dishes out of 5 people. It was awful. My current roommate was aware of this, and sounded just as appalled as I was, and assured me that he wasn't like that.

Well, wouldn't you know it, I'm the only one who has cleaned our new apartment or did any dishes since we've moved in. It's so annoying. I'm not even here half of the time, and I still end up cleaning. He can't even be bothered to put his things away, or switch out the trash bag when it is clearly full. He'll leave his work ties and hat in the kitchen. Why wouldn't he just take it with him to his room?! It's ridiculous. 

The other day, it had been a while since I had cleaned, and he was home, so I figured he'd help out once he saw me cleaning, but NOPE. He left almost as soon as he saw me start to clean, saying he was going to get food. A few minutes later, he posted on Facebook saying, "Walking around Wal-Mart always helps when you're bored and have nothing to do." REALLY?! How about helping your roommate clean your aparment for once? Ugh. It just makes me so irritated. 

I tried to bring it up to him, but he just got really defensive and said that it wasn't true.

Re: Rant

• Options
    haha. StageManager14's post made me lol. that sounds like it'll do the trick.

• Options
    HAHAHA. I love that idea. I mean, I do that with his things that he leaves around the house, but I love the idea of putting everything else on his bed. 

I just can't wait until December/January when FI and I finally get our own apartment with NO ROOMMATES. I don't mind cleaning after FI. As a FI/wife, I realize that I'm going to have to do it at some point, so it doesn't bother me. But I owe nothing to my roommate, and he's a grown man. He can clean after himself. I'm not his maid.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_rant-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:489e21a5-6b83-40de-a51d-c47a3d0b3844Post:6a859c69-ad2a-4d86-9aa3-dcf23c1dfa5b">Re: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]HAHAHA. I love that idea. I mean, I do that with his things that he leaves around the house, but I love the idea of putting everything else on his bed.  I just can't wait until December/January when FI and I finally get our own apartment with NO ROOMMATES. I don't mind cleaning after FI. As a FI/wife, I realize that I'm going to have to do it at some point, so it doesn't bother me. But I owe nothing to my roommate, and he's a grown man. He can clean after himself. I'm not his maid.
    Posted by sonya+adam[/QUOTE]

I feel ya on that. Used to live with Sister and she was the biggest slob. She asked me why I never complain about cleaning up after FI, and I told her its diffrent to clean up after my future Husband. Not to mention he actually cleans too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My sister had a male roommate who was the same way. After complaining about it to my parents, my dad suggested she continue to clean ONLY if her roommate paid her. From that point on she got a weekly check for "maid" services.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_rant-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:489e21a5-6b83-40de-a51d-c47a3d0b3844Post:6965a8ce-1ed5-47c8-8b0f-4a98aa9b17f8">Re:Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister had a male roommate who was the same way. After complaining about it to my parents, my dad suggested she continue to clean ONLY if her roommate paid her. From that point on she got a weekly check for "maid" services.
    Posted by GardenMaven[/QUOTE]

<div>WOW. That's a little ridiculous. I am so tempted to just stop cleaning after him and let his stuff just pile up, only do my dishes, etc., but I don't know if I can just let my apartment go like that.</div>
  • Options
    I don't like picking up after my husband because he's a 31 year old man, and I'm not his mommy. But he's really not so bad. My only gripe is he leaves socks everywhere. That makes me pretty lucky. He even does dishes! 

But in college, I had two back-to-back horrible roommates. The first one, her FI lived with us, but we still divided bills in half, not thirds. They split her half of the bills. So after talking to them didn't work, I stopped paying them altogether, except the electric, which was in my name. They never cleaned. I had to stuff all of their trash and dirty dishes in the microwave to get them to clean up, because they lived out of the microwave. Her FI would sit in the living room all day watching cartoons on my TV on my satellite dish, and never offered to let me watch something I'd like to watch. Her hair clogged up the pipes, but she always made me be the one to call and pay for a plumber. She used Clorox wipes to clean my dog. I'd come home from church and start cleaning, she went to her room and wouldn't come out until she heard the vacuum shut off. Then she'd come out and ask if I wanted help. Vacuuming was the last thing I did, and she knew that. I'd be scrubbing the shower, or scrubbing baseboards, and she'd come up behind me and ask "whatchya doin?" Ugh. After she Cloroxed my dog, I told her I'd had enough and I was leaving when our lease was up. She retaliated by shutting off our water the next day. I already had a new place. She didn't. She lived in her car for a week until she found a couch to crash on rather than stay in the house she had two more months on. And she called me immature.

The next roomate was a sorority sister, and she was even worse. She had a cat, but never cleaned the catbox. And it was right next to her bed. Her room stunk so badly that I had to keep her door closed or I'd gag. Her floor was covered in stuff, you couldn't ever see the carpet. You just walked on piles of clothes and trash and dirty dishes. She picked her nose and threw the boogers on the floor. She'd eat my healthy, organic food, my leftovers, anything. And when I confronted her, she'd just laugh and shrug. She never cleaned either, and would leave food in containers until it rotted before throwing it out, which she usually didn't, I did. If I went away for a weekend, I'd come home to both sides of the sink full of dirty dishes, dirty underwear all over the living room, and cat litter tracked into the hallway. 

Living on your own, or with someone who isn't nasty, is awesome. The husband is a slob and a packrat, but he's not filthy, and he makes a huge effort to appease my neat freakness. I can deal with socks on the floor. Crappy roomies kind of put the little things into perspective.  
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_rant-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:489e21a5-6b83-40de-a51d-c47a3d0b3844Post:aff089b6-9054-4596-b5ef-dcfbdf760f98">Re: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's a real easy fix for this.  Just start piling everything in the middle of his bed.  Clothes left all over the house?  On the bed.  Dishes left on the counter or in the sink unwashed?  On the bed.  Garbage not taken out on his turn?  Put a clean bag in the garbage can, tie up the old one, and toss it on his bed with his hats and ties and dirty dishes.   Give it a week, maybe 2, and your problem will be solved.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

We did this one time. There were 3 couples living in a 3 bedroom and we'd rotate which couple cleaned which community area each week. One week, the ones in the master bedroom kept leaving when it was their turn to do the kitchen. They'd lock their door and just stay in there all day to avoid doing it, too. They'd smoke out the window too to avoid having to cme in to the common area and be asked to do their job. So we (and the other couple) piled all the garbage, dirty dishes, etc in front of their door. When they opened it the next morning to go to work, the mess spilled in to their room. Huge fallout. I was so done with it before then and my boyfriend at the time and i were moving out that weekend.

I'm not sure if it improved their cleaning habits or not. But it certainly got our message across.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sonya+adamsonya+adam member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_rant-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:489e21a5-6b83-40de-a51d-c47a3d0b3844Post:da1c78b4-ab3f-4b87-9639-1c023a41c8ff">Re: Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rant : We did this one time. There were 3 couples living in a 3 bedroom and we'd rotate which couple cleaned which community area each week. One week, the ones in the master bedroom kept leaving when it was their turn to do the kitchen. They'd lock their door and just stay in there all day to avoid doing it, too. They'd smoke out the window too to avoid having to cme in to the common area and be asked to do their job. So we (and the other couple) piled all the garbage, dirty dishes, etc in front of their door. When they opened it the next morning to go to work, the mess spilled in to their room. Huge fallout. I was so done with it before then and my boyfriend at the time and i were moving out that weekend. I'm not sure if it improved their cleaning habits or not. But it certainly got our message across.
    Posted by danielleper03[/QUOTE]

<div>I want to try that out: having a schedule as to who cleans what. I'm wondering if that would work with him.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards