Chit Chat

tattos showing or no tattos showing

Iv'e been back and forth on this situation i have a few tattos on my back that you can see when im wearing my dress and im just wondering if i should cover them. i mean everyone know i have them and there nothing distasteful there not like skulls or anything like that. im just worried if i get them covered and start to sweat that the stuff is going to get on my dress and the person who would be covering them said it was a possibility because one of the tattos gets cut off half way by the dress so yeah just looking for some suggestions..... i feel like awkward because im going into a catholic church and im not catholic and not very churchy person but my fiance mom is hence the reason why we are getting married in her church and she doesn't like tattos or piercing but deals with the fact that i  have them so i dont know.......and if anything in this is confusing i apologize sometimes i type with out thinking how i put things in words.........

Re: tattos showing or no tattos showing

• Stacy:  my son and DIL were married in a Catholic Church.  She was a baptized, confirmed Catholic.  He was a baptized, confirmed Presbyterian.  They had no problem.

Is your FI interested in being married in a Catholic church, or are you both caving for his mother?  IMO, if you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to make your own decisions about where/how you get married.

What are you going to do when/if children arrive?  Will you raise them in the Catholic church?  Do you intend to attend church after you're married?

I'm far more concerned about you getting married in a church that you don't care about than I am about your tattoos, which you, I assume got because you like them.  If you like them, why try to hide them?  They are a part of who you are.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_tattos-showing-tattos-showing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:4be62949-a2d4-4532-946c-469f760c7630Post:6a521b33-d2c4-402b-99a6-046a7ad2bfe5">Re: tattos showing or no tattos showing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I am confused as to how you are not Catholic and you are getting married in a Catholic church. I was told I could not marry in a Catholic church unless I converted to Catholicism. I guess I will have to look into it more.
    Posted by StacyAV[/QUOTE]

Only one of you has to be Catholic. 
  • @StacyAV

As long as your FI is Catholic you can get married in the Catholic Church.

You just need to meet with the Priest and ask for dispensation.  You will also need to do the other Catholic requirements (Pre Cana, etc.)

HTH.

• I say as long as you don't not mind seeing them in pictures for years to come then go for it! I have tattoos and I know that they mean something so I do not mind them showing.

As for your FMIL, as you said, it will upset her sicnce she "puts up with it," but at the same time, it is your wedding. Then again, you might have to deal with some snarky comments from it later. Maybe ask for FI and see what he thinks she may say?
  • I am totally letting my tats show. they will look lovely with my dress- actually :)
     i haven't even thought of the piercings.. i have my nose piereced and i will probably leave that in too.
  • i guess it depends on your priest, we asked if i had to convert and he said no hes a pretty layedback kinda of guy...... i do know that if you have any kids they have to be catholic which is cool wih me i want my kids to have some religion just they will probably go with there grandma im not really a church going girl i have my faith but just well u know....lol
  • Laughingthank you ladies for your comments !!!!
  • I have a tattoo on my back and it's part of me so I'm not covering it. However, I have long hair and I'm doing a half up/half down hairdo. That way, it will be covered when my back is to the guests.
  • You can get married if your fiance is confirmed Catholic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards