Chit Chat
Options

Is this tattoo...conceited?

Hey everyone:)
I have been wanting to get a tattoo, but trying to decide where to put it.  But I lnow what I want it to say: "Beautifully Made" which means a lot to me as I've endured a lot of through major weight & self-esteem issues, and some childhood battles. 

My hang up now- a friend recently told me that she thinks the phrase "Beautifully Made" sounds conceited.  Even after explaining to her that it was more of a reminder to me of what I've been through and not about anything shallow, she insisted it would seem conceited to anyone who saw it.
Well, now I'm kind of bummed.

Re: Is this tattoo...conceited?

• Options
    Oh geez. It's going on your body, which means you should get whatever you want, wherever you want it, and the hell with what everybody else thinks. When you set out to please other people, you will fail every time. There will always be at least one person who does not agree with your choices.

That said, if criticism bothers you that much, then get the tattoo you want in a place that's not highly visible. But don't let other people's opinion dictate what you chose to put on your body. You will have to live with a tat for the rest of your life. Friends come and go, as sad as that is to say.
  • Options
    @welches79
    I know what you mean- it is my body and who is she to dictate.  And overall, I don't think other's opinion matters that much to me.  I mean, half my family would view a tattoo as hell-bound behavior, yet I don't think twice.  Just seems like none of their business.
    But somehow to seem "conceited" - that would be ... well, it would piss me off.  I practically pride myself on being kind, down-to-earth and as someone who believes that beauty is far more than skin-deep.
    You're right though. 
    Just curious, what would the average passer-by think?!
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    If I didn't know the backstory, I might think it was conceited -- but to be honest, I'm not really in the habit of reading or examining other people's tatoos.    And MY opinion shouldn't matter to you.   If you were my friend, I might ask about the meaning, and I would be very touched by your response.

DSC_9275
  • Options
    I'm going to be honest, the location/size/design of the tattoo would matter in how I view the words.  If you're getting it blazed across the front of your chest or your back in ornate lettering in 14 different colors, I'm going to think "wow, conceited."  If you're talking something small and simple on your forearm or your hip or something, I'd probably be more inclined to think that the intention behind the wording was something personal and not conceited.

Yes, it's your body and it's really not anyone's business, no matter where you get it, how big it is, or what it looks like, but the fact is, if you get a tattoo like this in a highly visible location, you very likely will leave the average passer-by wtih the wrong impression of you.  That completely sucks, but I think, by and large, the average passer-by is a judgmental asssssshole, at least to complete strangers.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Most people are super judgemental, and might view it as conceited- but "beautifully made" is less conceited than something like "gorgeous" or even just "beautiful'. So that being said, it already has a tendency towards built in meaning more than other phrases. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FinallytheSunFinallytheSun member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    @StephBean
    you very likely will leave the average passer-by wtih the wrong impression of you.  That completely sucks, but I think, by and large, the average passer-by is a judgmental asssssshole, at least to complete strangers.

hilarious & true- Love it!!!

@ all the ladies, thank you- I agree, the location of the tattoo will matter some in how others "judge" it's meaning but it doesn't really matter what others might or might not think.  It's a tattoo with personal significance, what other's think shouldn't weigh in.
    =)
  • Options
    I really can't decide. Like Steph said, I think I'd need to see the actual tattoo to know how I felt. If if was big and obnoxious and in a very obvious location-yeah, I'd probably think "conceited". But if it were subtle and in a "secret place" (Hip, inside the wrist), I'd probably think "That's nice. You go, girl"

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    Tattoos are EXTREMELY personal in my opinion.  Meaning, you get it for yourself and not for other people.  (True some people get tattos of names/pictures of other people, but it's still FOR them).  It should mean something to you and make you feel good when you look at it ar think about it (if it's in a place you can't readily see :)  If you like the saying, it makes you feel confident or proud of yourself, then do it girl. 

I have two tattoos and I got them in discreet(ish) places so that I myself could look at them, but also cover them up if I wanted.  I most recently got an anchor on my wrist and my artist tried to persuade me to position it the other way so that "people can see it right side up while your arms are down", and I said Why?  It's for me and what I want should be the most important.  Most people that might see yours and 'judge' you'll never see again anyway. 

And I'm going to be selfish right now and say that if you end up getting it, post photos!  I love seeing tattoo pictures :)

Here are mine:

This shading has since worn off....grrr...be warned if you're getting it on your feet or somewhere with thin skin.  Or maybe my artist was just crappy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I think it might depend on the place, if it was a " tramp stamp" ( lower back above your pant line, and don't get me wrong I have a tattoo there lol, mine is a design my dad drew and my sisters and my parents and I all have it, it's just what everyone I know calls them) Then I think you might have some people thinking you were "conceited". I really like the inside of forearms for pretty personal sctipt. But its really about what you want, you are putting it on Your body.
    My next tatt is going to be a flowy tribal horse head made of my horse's name. Everyone I have shown the rough draft goes 'oh pretty' till I tell them what it actually is and they they tell me its stupid to brand myself with my horses name. I'm still getting it lol.

• Options
    Like other people said - it depends where you put it.  Put it in a discrete place and it won't be staring people in the face for them to pass judgment.

FI has a written tattoo on his left inner forearm that goes from his elbow down to his wrist, and he can't ever wear a short sleave shirt without someone asking him "So what's your tattoo say?!" and then, out of politeness, he needs to show them his arm and recite that the meaning behind it is that it was the blessing from his father's funeral. Every cashier at the store, etc. And while he loves his tattoo, it can be very annoying and burdensome constantly having it in view with everyone curious about it... you know what I mean?  Just something to think about.
  • Options
    I think that as a passer by I would admire the tattoo (personally)
     It would show you have confidence!

I admire the thought and meaning you have put behind it and think you should celebrate your acomplishments!
     I love your tattoo idea, so if you love it-- to hell with everyone else!
  • Options
    I agree with PPs that the placement and look of the tattoo matter. I think a small font script would be beautiful. I also always assume someone's tattoo has meaning and don't judge it too harshly, but thats just me personally.

I have two tattoos. One is very small and pretty discrete, but when people see it they always ask about it and then have a less then impressed reaction. My second one is for a family member that passed away that I was very close to. It is what their nick name was for me, and is a pretty cliche saying. I get a lot of mehhh reactions to that one too. But I LOVE both of them. I never got them for other people. I got them for myself, and no matter what other people say I still love them. 

Point is... get something that you love. That no matter what anyone else says or feels about it you will be able to support it and still feel confident in it. That is all that matters. Post pictures if you get any drawings done up!
  • Options
    id012id012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I could see how it could seem concided.. but I think if you put it in a place where the world wasn't looking at it a million times it would come off concided you know? Like..  on the inside of your foot or something.. not right across your collar bone lol. 
    I like it none the less. I like that it means something to you and honestly you dont get a tattoo for someone else you get it for you and for what it means to you. and thats it. your not trying to impress anyone with it.
    go fooor it!
  • Options
    I personally never judge anyone else's tats.
  • Options
    Get what you want, it doesn't matter what anybody will think of it.  I like that it's personal and means something to you.  I know somebody who got a "Live, Laugh, Love" tattoo.  Such a trendy term right now, I doubt it meant anything personal to her and she will probably regret it in a year or two.
  • Options
    Something very important that you need to understand, it is YOUR body and YOUR story. Tattoos are meant to be a story. And anyone who isn't dumb enough to simply get a butterfly tramp stamp deserves a pat on the back. It does not seem conceited to me. I love to know the story behind other peoples tattoos. I believe tattoos are meant to be about you. To be about something you care about. And who cares if people think it is conceited. Those are probably the same people who think tattoos are against the bible. I say go for it. My boyfriend has a Mandalorian proverb on both his arms. People can't understand them. But he can, and that is all that counts. I will be getting a black lily with Est Sudanus Oth Nikkas around it. People are not going to know what it means, but I don't care because I do know. Anyway, I say go for it.
  • Options
    Reminds me kinda of Psalms 139:14
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

I like it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I don't think it's conceited at all.  If the phrase means something to you, go to town with it.  I'm sure people have looked at some of my tattoos and wondered why I got them.. . . . . . . who cares, it's your body!
    I admit though, I do judge some tattoos. . . . those that are very poorly done and/or those with spelling mistakes.  Go to a good artist!!!
  • Options
     If it's important to you who cares what another person thinking. If you look at it and it brings you joy and reminds you of everything you've over come You don't have to please others.
  • Options
    The thing u really need to think about isn't so much what others will think but what u will think in 20 years or 50 years from now. In 50 years will u still want a tattoo on ur body that says beautifully made? It is something permanent so u really need to think how u will feel about it later in life. This is the reason I don't have any tattoos. The only time I would get a tattoo was if like my parents or sister passed away or something. Everyone gets tattoos for different reasons the only person it needs to mean something to is u. People are judgmental but u shouldn't care what others think. GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards