Chit Chat
Options

Anyone getting a second job?

I guess this is somewhat of a get-it-off-my-chest post.

I work full time and make a pretty good salary, not to mention I'm super-happy with my office.  FI is still sort of trying to find his place in the career world. He's motivated and always interviewing and trying, but his employment and paychecks are well... unsteady.  We've never had any trouble paying our bills or anything and we're always able to maintain our lifestyle, but we haven't been able to get ahead either to pay off some of the small debts we have and save for the wedding.

Therefore, we're probably looking at a 3-4 year engagement (having already been engaged for one year) because we are paying for the wedding ourselves.

While I can't fault FI because I can clearly see that he is motivated to get himself in a better place, I also don't feel like waiting any longer to generate more income for us so we can achieve our savings and debt-paying goals in a more efficient manner. So today, after work, I'm going to interview for a part time waitressing position at an italian restaurant down the street from my office. I figure a few good nights a week would bring in an amount enough to really make a difference.

I'm just sick of not being able to set a wedding date because I don't know when we'll be able to afford it. I get SO DEPRESSED when people keep asking me "so how's wedding planning coming" and "when's your date" and I have to awkwardly deflect it because there ARE no wedding plans and this IS no wedding date.

Did anyone else get a second job in order to help finance their wedding?

Re: Anyone getting a second job?

• Options
    rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    I did. I became a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant. I was able to make a good chunk of money. I obviously had to slow down for the weeks right before my wedding, but now I'm doing it again. I'm trying to save up for some nicer furniture. 
  • Options
    DH and I are both teachers. We got summer jobs to help pay for the wedding.  He also did an after school program during a week and I did Saturday events at the school for extra cash.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also started a Mary Kay Business. But it was more to supplement the income I'd be using on the complicated way my full time job reimburses me for the masters program I'm enrolled in.  (they add my tuition in as part of my salary...so I get taxed on basical 2x as much as I acutally make...which breaks down to an extra $400 a month taken out!)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just got a part time job yesterday in addition to my full time job. Not looking forward to it but it needs to be done!
  • Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Neither of us got second jobs, but we cut back a lot on our social activities.  Our group of friends tends to pick more expensive restaurants and bars whenever we hang out as a group.  We still go every once in a while, but not as often as we normally would have.  We also cut out any and all trips - no concerts, no weekend trips, no vacations.  

On top of that, we also cut a lot of things out of our wedding.  We went with a venue that was all inclusive and it also happens to be one of the less expensive ones in our area.  We're not doing chair covers, flowers, a cake topper, and various other things that we personally thought were unnecessary.  We chose an up an up and coming photographer that was much less expensive that most photographers in our area (and it turns out that she's pretty amazing!).  There are so many things you can do to cut costs.

Good luck!  I hope you're able to set a date soon!

21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    We're cutting back and I just picked up a second job on the weekends.  My fiance picks up bartending shifts at a friend's restaurant, when available, in addition to his regular job.  Hopefully he gets more as the summer progresses, we could use the money!
  • Options
    At my job, we are required to work weekends. I'm always taking extra weekends! It's crazy because when I work a weekend it's 12 days straight with no break! Now granted, weekend work can be light and if I'm done by 12, I can leave. Sundays on the other hand can be crazy!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm currently searching for a second job to help save for the wedding.  It's not exactly something I really wanted to do during my last summer vacation before graduation, but you do what you have to do.  Hopefully I find something soon so I can really start saving money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    Makes me happy to know that I'm not the only one!!! Phew!

I fully anticipate it to suck, but I totally believe it'll be worth it.
    FI is not happy about it at all, but I think he'll get over it.
  • Options
    I've been working 2 jobs since we got engaged. After I got hired full time I decided to keep my part time job because it allowed me to put away more money for the wedding. FI also works 2 jobs, though his second is only during the summer. We've been engaged over 2 years already.
  • Options
    I just got a second job working at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.  The extra pay will likely go to our honeymoon fund.  
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've had two jobs, and am going to school, and planning a wedding, and coaching JV Cheerleading, and I'm 18. 

Britt1893 is now FutureHutto!
  • Options
    I am looking for a job (outside the home... I'm a sahm).  Just to help with wedding expenses.  Not havng any luck yet as I am looking for work from home type of jobs or ones with flexible scheduling.  We'll see.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_anyone-getting-a-second-job?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:527ab4d5-caa5-42ef-ab06-9232d85e225aPost:a580da2d-ee72-4792-a5c3-8b0b0232e334">Re: Anyone getting a second job?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Makes me happy to know that I'm not the only one!!! Phew! I fully anticipate it to suck, but I totally believe it'll be worth it. FI is not happy about it at all, but I think he'll get over it.
    Posted by goobersinlove[/QUOTE]

<div>My FI isn't thrilled since it'll limit the already short amount of time we get together in the summer.  But he understands and is supportive.  Your FI will realize it's not forever and it's worth it.  And it may suck, or you may actually enjoy the second job.  I hated my (single) job at first, but now I love it.  </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    Yes I've had 2 jobs for close to 2 years. My Full time job was done away with, but I was able to stay on part time, so ive been part time there and then had 2 different full time jobs both while still staying on there part time time. It sucks because on weekends I work 32 hours in a 41 hour time period. I work 16 hours on both and then agian sunday. We are considering taking out a loan, what is the difference if im working 2 jobs before or after the wedding to pay for the wedding. if we took out a loan i would still have both jobs but i could afford to say take a weekend off, every other month? or only work a 16 hour day on saturday OR sunday, but not both!
  • Options
    I'm working tons of overtime at work. Sucks but it's almost over!
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards