Chit Chat
Options

Alternative guestbook idea.. Pass or fail?

I have a fairly modernist house and the decor is full of natural textures - stones, plants, grasses, etc.

I don't like the idea of a traditional guestbook, because it will just sit in a closet somewhere. But what if we had a table with lots of flat unpolished river rocks and had guests sign their names and maybe a short note on them? I'm thinking I could find some fast-drying silver paint pens. Then I could display the rocks in a nice vase in my home.

Is this a totally stupid idea? I'm a little concerned that our theme is kind of a winter wonderland thing, and river stones really don't fit, but I'm hoping that some snowy decor on the rock table would make it mesh a little better..

What do you guys think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alternative guestbook idea.. Pass or fail?

• Options
    I think its cute, but I would probably be a little confused if I were a guest. . .with that said though, Im all for unique ideas:)

What if you used mini ornaments or something? Michaels sales these. . . and they're pretty cheap too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    totally cool idea... but maybe to be more organized, instead of little stones, have you thought about modern/naturalistic looking tiles. You could get varrying colors and glue them together. This could maybe be a stepping "mat" of some kind out of your back or front door or something. I hope you can picture what I mean. I'm not too articulate with words.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is not all that unusual an idea.  A number of brides have posted this, and a number have actually done it.  As a guest I'd probably sign one, but I don't think I'd take the time to write a pithy message......but that's just me.  I hate to be put on the spot to write something clever or witty.

Go for it.

As for the "going with the theme"~that's something that guests really don't care all that much about.  I mean, no one is going to run from the room clutching their pearls because you're having people sign river rocks while your "theme" is winter wonderland.

Remember:  a little theme=good.  Too much theme=kids' birthday party or junior prom.

Use the rocks and don't worry so much about everything matching the "theme".
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I have to admit. . I LOVE the tile idea . . We might just need to go that route. . maybe frame it or something :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thats a cute idea but isn't it pretty much the same thing as storing your guestbook in the closet.  I mean if they are in a vase you can't read all of them.  What about a coffee table book or something.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback.. I like the tile idea, that might be a good way to go..

I guess the idea with the vase is that they're out in the open and visible, so anyone could just pick through them and see what people said. It's a small wedding (about 60 people) so with a wide vase they would all be pretty accessible. I was worried about the paint rubbing off though when the stones rub together, so the tiles are appealing. I think it would be too heavy to frame for the wall though, unless you did a bunch of smaller frames..

Regarding the theme, no worries, I'm definitely not going all out. The 'theme' basically consists of white, silver, ice blue, and chocolate brown colours. Beyond the colours it's just whatever I like..

I like the ornament idea as well, but I would feel like I could only display them around the holidays.. That's why I liked the stones - they're much more neutral..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My DD made a book on snapfish of she, her DH, their dogs, their friends, etc.....snapshots that were special to them.

Then they had that at their reception, and had people sign it "yearbook style".  People enjoyed looking at the book, and it was fun after the wedding for DH and SIL to look at what people had written.

I'd recommend looking into something like that.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    At the moment, we're going to have guests sign a board game, and we'll either frame it or keep it around so we can see all the signatures when we take it out to play.

I wanted some sort of poster for everyone to sign, but I haven't found anything I like.  I'm still looking.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I think it's a cool idea.  Just put a sign up so the guests know what they are supposed to do.
  • Options

Knottie Scoetto did this. Check out her bio and Page her on the Etiquette board if you have questions.

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We got and awesome guestbook, it is so cool! It holds a picture of me and my FI and you actually engrave into the silver plate going around the frame! Check it out at www.idoengravables.com . This one you can have out year round and really enjoy instead of throwing in a box. We just love ours and the quality is really nice!
  • Options
    I am all for unique ideas!  I like the idea of the tiles.  If you use smaller squares you could use them on a frame around your wedding photo.  I agree about the book being stored away.  We are doing a quilt for our room.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love that tile idea!  I was thinking if you did do that, you could take the tiles and do a mosaic style coffee table or end table or something...soemthing people can see and enjoy.  Maybe put some sort of finish or even have guests use glaze to paint their thoughts, and take them to a local pottery place to fire them...then do the mosaic thing.  I actually love that idea...I might have to steal it! 
  • Options
    I think it's a nice idea, but maybe you should make a sign describing what to do with the rocks? Sounds nice though.
  • Options

To me the idea of normal guestbooks are like yearbooks, you only look at them when you're cleaning out a closet and stumble upon them or every ten years or so...
    I love the idea of anything to make a guestbook into art that will be apealing to display in your home.
    Otherwise I'd just scrap the idea all together.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Options
    We're thinking of going the yearbook style idea - then it can turn into a coffee table book later as well.
  • Options
    I think it's cute.  We did something similar at our wedding.  Not all the guests participated in it though, since it was such a new concept to them, even with the framed instructions we had next to the "guestbook" area.  Everyone thought it was super-cool after H and I personally explained it to them.  So if you want people to participate, I would recommend explaining to everyone what the rocks are all about while you are visiting with your guests. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards