Chit Chat

Middle name on plane ticket?

So I booked our plane tickets for San Diego the other day. I just realized I didn't include my middle name or initial. Does it really matter? My DL has the initial. I tried googleing it but some say yes, some say no. I hope I don't have to try to call and change it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Middle name on plane ticket?

• Sometimes I remember to put mine, and sometimes I don't. I've never had an issue either way, and both my DL and Passport have my middle initial/name on them.
  • I've never had an issue with this.  I wouldn't stress over it.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_middle-name-on-plane-ticket?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:63d51f9c-f727-4f9f-81c5-22adbf920be2Post:ac86097f-8531-4ed9-82a2-08860becc864">Re: Middle name on plane ticket?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never had an issue with this.  I wouldn't stress over it.  
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was so focused on trying to get my airline credits to go through (which were issued under my maiden name) I totally forgot about it since I never use it.

• I never put mine and haven't ever had a problem. Neither has H.

I had a co worker that put her middle name, but it wasn't on her license and she had problems.

If you are really concerned, call the airline. I know you don't want to, but it should be simple for them to add it for you if they feel it is absolutely necessary.

• I don't have don't middle name, so obviously I never put a middle initial and I have always been fine. Of course, my name matches my DL, but I think you will be ok.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've never used my middle name on tickets, but it's on my passport and DL.  Never a question.  You should be good, but call the airline as PP's said if you're really concerned

• Maybe it's different depending on the airline or whether you're flying domestically or internationally, but I've always put my full name (first middle last) on airline tickets since that's what I have in my passport. I've never wanted to risk not having the names match. I do a lot of international travel though, so like I said it might be different.
  • My maiden name was so long that depending on the airline my full first name wouldn't appear on the printed ticket, just a the first three or four letters.  I never had an issue with security - flying domestically or internationally - with the names not being an exact match between my identification and my ticket.  Definitely call your airline if you are concerned.
    Anniversary

•  I've seen people held up because their ticket did not match their ID exactly.  Some TSA agents do not mess around.  DH and I never complete booking a ticket until we both agree that every single letter matches what is on our IDs.  Can you call the airline and see if they will adjust the name on the ticket for you?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    So I called united and they said it shouldn't matter but they added it anyway.  So everything should be fine now.  Thanks for your help.

• It should be fine for this time, I wouldn't worry.

But in the future, especially for out of the country travel, it's best to use it in full.  The more specific you can be with your name, the less likely your name will accidentally match with a similar one that may or may not be on the 'no fly' list. Which unfortunately happens to people all the time.

Fortunately, it's especially useful for people like me, who had mothers who were extremely drugged up on painkillers when trying to spell my middle name on the birth certificate, and spelled it wrong.  :P
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I've never had a problem with not including it. But when flying out of crounty be sure that you put your name so it matches what is on your passport.
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    Hoboken, you are fine as long as your first and last name on the ticket match what is on your government issued ID.  Because nothing is done electronically at the checkpoint, the Agent is verifying that your name listed on your ID matches that on your plane ticket (and your photo and other identifying info, of course).  When you book a ticket, you also put in information to be sent to Secure Flight for watch list vetting.  That same name (first and last) goes on your plane ticket; hence, the need for your government issued ID to match your plane ticket.  

Edit: I do agree with Peles though particularly for international travel, since other countries may not have the same SOPs as the TSA.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards