Chit Chat
Options

Please help!

Hi everyone! So I have a big favor to ask...I recently went to a bridal show here in Ohio and entered into a contest with "Story of Your Life" (this great new company here - I woud encourage everyone to check it out!) for a chance to win mine and my fiance's love story written and designed like the front page of a newspaper for free. It's such an awesome idea and I think it would make a great addition to our wedding day to be able to showcase our story for our friends and family. We have been long distance for over 3 years now, and in May when he graduates we will finally be together. I would love to be able to share our story in this way. 
So anyway, five finalists were chosen, and I am one of them! Would you all please vote for me and Mike (my fiance) to win?? 
Here's how:  Go to the Story of Your Life fan page on Facebook (facebook.com/tellmystory), LIKE their fan page, then also go to their "bridal show giveaway" album and LIKE the photo of my name (Amanda) - you have to do both for the votes to qualify. I would really, really appreciate your support! Thanks fellow brides!! :)

Re: Please help!

• Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2012

I'd hurry up and delete this post if I were you.  Most people who see this will go vote for someone else. I voted for Jessica, she seems really sweet and isn't spamming the  boards with posts like this.  These posts are against the rules here as well, and I don't want you to get banned for it, even though you probably will because everyone will report you.  If you want something like this, you need to pay for it yourself or get your friends and family to vote for you.  Stop bothering a bunch of strangers with this.

• Options
    So apparenty asking for support from fellow brides is against the rules? Haven't you asked for support before from fellow brides, aka "strangers" to you. If we're all strangers, then we don't really have any right asking each other for anything then, whether it's advice or to vote for a contest related to our weddings, according to you. 

By the way, I also thought it'd be nice for fellow brides to know about Story of Your Life since I had never heard about them before and I think it's a cool idea for a wedding day. Honestly, whether you choose to vote for me, that's totally fine, I still think it's a cool idea worth checking it. I really didn't intend this as spam, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

And if you want to spite me for posting this by voting for someone else, that's fine too, it's your choice. I just have to question your whole argument then when you talk about strangers voting for me, then you go vote for some girl you don't even know. Again, that's your perogative though. 

Lastly, I don't think you should speak for the entire community. But thanks for your input. 
  • Options
    My apologies. Guess my thought process was off on this one. I appreciate the feedback. I don't know how to delete my post though?
  • Options
    The mods deleted it for you.

In the future, when you go into a forum with which you are not familar, take the time to read posts (especially the FAQ at the top of the page) before you start asking people what they can do for you.  
  • Options
    You don't have to worry about deleting - the mods took care of that for you.  ;)  I really appreciate the apology for how you spoke to me as well.  Trust me, I DO speak on behalf of the majority here.  Try posting the contest thing on Etiquette and see how nice they are about it. 
  • Options
    Definitely not trying to make enemies here. I can certainly admit when I made a mistake - Didn't mean to offend/annoy anyone. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-29?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:64e8864e-c7c0-4feb-9547-6ac47a1ce9ffPost:ff95913f-65de-4ead-8e9c-d8536081b524">Re: Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Definitely not trying to make enemies here. I can certainly admit when I made a mistake - Didn't mean to offend/annoy anyone. 
    Posted by amandamarie21[/QUOTE]

Then next time I suggest <u>reading</u> the rules, FAQs, and the Stickies at the top of the boards you're posting on. Reading will take you far in life. .
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Don't worry about it OP, just lurk a little more and read the sticky's, it'll help you get accustomed for the flow of the board.

The 'vote for me' posts don't go over well here because if we voted for these types of posts, that's all the boards would be...a bunch of random strangers creating an account just to get votes from people they don't know, and then any legitimate posts would be burried in a sea of people wanting to win free stuff.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @jemmini6, I appreciate it - thanks for the constructive criticism.
  • Options
    By the way, I love your bio sites!
  • Options
    I am not sure of your original post..something about voting for you in a contest... bla bla... 

... but these girls are being harsh... I find a lot of fellow brides are harsh on these boards... i think it has to do with the safety of being behind their computers... you made an honest mistake.... and puh-lease... no one sits there and reads the FAQs for each thread.... you have got to be kidding me. You found a cool thing and you were reaching out... you're not wrong for that.... It was an honest non-malicious mistake.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-29?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:64e8864e-c7c0-4feb-9547-6ac47a1ce9ffPost:4763649a-5f79-4585-ab86-d136062e13cd">Re: Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]@jemmini6, I appreciate it - thanks for the constructive criticism.

You're welcome.  I'd also keep in mind though that the other posters were trying to be helpful too.  I'm sure you'll understand that since we typically do see such a high volume of these posts, that most peole have a 'standard' quick response of how to let you know that they aren't appreciated here.  It's nothing personal, but this won't be the only board you'll see very direct answers, so just a heads up that sometimes you need thick skin and a grain of salt, but the help is there nonetheless.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @sexilex - thanks for the support!

@jemmini6, I definitely appreciate the feedback. Not to draw it out, but I just thought NcsuPsych's post about my reading abilities was unnecessary and more personally insulting than anything...I'm an avid reader and just don't appreciate the way she told me that reading will take me far in life.
  • Options
    I can see how that might have come off a little offensive at first if you aren't familiar with the boards.  But she did have a point in that the stickies are there for a reason, but most people don't read them.  Again...grain of salt. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    By looking at OPs post history, she only posted here. That =/= spam. The post is gone becasue so many people reported.
    While these posts aren't recieved well around here, posting it on one board is not in violation of the TOS.

That being said I don't think that any of the other posters were super harsh.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-29?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:64e8864e-c7c0-4feb-9547-6ac47a1ce9ffPost:b2b81154-403b-40bf-babc-044ed4b0fd03">Re: Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]@sexilex - thanks for the support! @jemmini6, I definitely appreciate the feedback. Not to draw it out, but I<strong> just thought NcsuPsych's post about my reading abilities was unnecessary and more personally insulting than anything.</strong>..I'm an avid reader and just don't appreciate the way she told me that reading will take me far in life.

Seriously? I never said 'You can't read'. I said to try reading the rules and stickies (etc.) first before posting. It honest to goodness will take you far. It'll also help you in future situations. If that hurt your feelings, I seriously suggest lurking on the boards for a while and getting some thicker skin. Taking something as simple as being told to read the rules as 'personally insulting' is taking it too personal and too serious. Good grief.

Sexilex. . you want use a few more '. . . ' and '. . . ' ? Running in to play the hero isn't needed. The ladies here aren't harsh or mean or big bad wolves. They (including myself) will give you honest opinions. If you don't like it, don't read it. However, realize you're posting on an internet forum and that people will answer how they like. I also would make a bit bet that most of the ladies & gentlemen on these boards would answer you the same way in person as they do on the boards (again, myself included).

The boards take thick skin. You've got to take things with a grain of salt and not take things so freaking personal. OP, coming onto a board that you've never posted on before and expecting us to vote for you was a risk and a bad one at that. I've been around for a while and I still wouldn't post about a contest because I know how they're viewed.

The 'Vote for me' posts are not against the rules, however spamming the boards with these posts are against the rules. The 'vote for me' posts are also very highly frowned upon as PP's have already informed you of.
  • Options
    @crash2729 - This is not the first time I have posted. I asked for advice before on MOH trouble. Just FYI.
  • Options
    sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-29?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:64e8864e-c7c0-4feb-9547-6ac47a1ce9ffPost:e636d9fa-4a2f-4f1c-bfdf-e0009941a0c0">Re: Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not sure of your original post..something about voting for you in a contest... bla bla...  ... but these girls are being harsh... I find a lot of fellow brides are harsh on these boards... i think it has to do with the safety of being behind their computers... you made an honest mistake.... and puh-lease... no one sits there and reads the FAQs for each thread.... you have got to be kidding me. You found a cool thing and you were reaching out... you're not wrong for that.... It was an honest non-malicious mistake.
    Posted by sexilex[/QUOTE]

Not really they were being rather nice about it. Ellipses =/= end a sentence. It sucks trying to read your post when there are just... yes...and... I mean... seriously? Just use a period.

People do read the FAQs on the pages or at least they should. If they did then there would be a lot fewer basic questions like
    "How do I put a ticker in my sig?"
    "What are all the acronyms?"

OP Ncsupsych suggested that reading will take you far b/c it does and obviously you did not read the FAQs. It was a suggestion, and one I think you would benefit from taking.

ETA: CC (<- this board) is probably one of the more subdued boards and people don't need strangers coming around solicting them for their votes. Ask your friends and family to vote for you.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I already apologized and said I made a mistake. There's seriously no need to rub it in. You want brutal honesty? Get over it and move on. 
  • Options
    OH, and @NcsuPsych, in regards to:  "The 'Vote for me' posts are not against the rules, however spamming the boards with these posts are against the rules."

I did not spam the boards with these posts. I made ONE post on ONE board about it. Obviously, if I was spamming the whole place, I would have placed this post all over the site.

And when I realized these types of posts are frowned upon and not taken well, I admitted it. Obviously that doesn't count for anything here though. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-29?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:64e8864e-c7c0-4feb-9547-6ac47a1ce9ffPost:5cc8b971-cb88-4b3b-830b-1522a5bafdcf">Re: Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]@crash2729 - <strong>This is not the first time I have posted.</strong> I asked for advice before on MOH trouble. Just FYI.
    I know. I looked at your posting history. I said this was the only post where you asked for votes. Which =/= spamming. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-29?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:64e8864e-c7c0-4feb-9547-6ac47a1ce9ffPost:b0593a2f-83ad-4bfe-b5e8-9340238a763c">Re: Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]OH, and @NcsuPsych, in regards to:  " The 'Vote for me' posts are not against the rules, however spamming the boards with these posts are against the rules." I did not spam the boards with these posts.<strong> I made ONE post on ONE board about it. Obviously, if I was spamming the whole place, I would have placed this post all over the site.</strong> And when I realized these types of posts are frowned upon and not taken well, I admitted it. Obviously that doesn't count for anything here though. 

Honey. . .please realize that I wasn't the one that said you spammed the board. I was simply stating the rules in regards to the 'Vote for Me' contest posts.

Take your own advice, and get over it. You're really the one that's dragging this out.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_please-29?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:64e8864e-c7c0-4feb-9547-6ac47a1ce9ffPost:b0593a2f-83ad-4bfe-b5e8-9340238a763c">Re: Please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]OH, and @NcsuPsych, in regards to:  " The 'Vote for me' posts are not against the rules, however spamming the boards with these posts are against the rules." I did not spam the boards with these posts. I made ONE post on ONE board about it. Obviously, if I was spamming the whole place, I would have placed this post all over the site. And when I realized these types of posts are frowned upon and not taken well, I admitted it. Obviously that doesn't count for anything here though. 
    <div>
    </div><div>You are being ridiculous IMO. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think you need to get over this and move on.</div>
  • Options
    OP - this really isn't a big deal.  You didn't know you shouldn't post it, people told you, you apologized, it's all good.  Just move on from it and enjoy the rest of what the board has to offer.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards