Chit Chat
Options

the knot vendors, got scammed

i got scammed by a vendor that i chose and i looked him up and he only had about 3 reviews and i figured he was just starting out so i talked to him and emailed back and forth and he was reasonably priced so i put a deposit of $500 down..  he was on the local vendors on the knot and i booked him may 15, he seemed sketchy in my last email (last week) so i googled him and on june 30th nbc did a hank investigates on him about how he has scammed all these brides and what not... why was this guy even on the knot??!?!?!?! how could they have allowed it, dont they check these types of things? Especially because he was scamming people from a different business than the one i booked. I luckily found a vendor that has offered to do it for what i owed this guy... but i really dont know where to go from here as in what to say to him, if i'll ever get any money back, do i contact the knot etc etc etc... just really stressed.. .i obviously take full responsibility for booking this guy but if i did not find him on the knot i would not have picked him, thought this was a reliable website :/ very disappointed

Re: the knot vendors, got scammed

• Options
    TK cannot possible investigate every vendor on here.  I would let them know what is going on and then I'd file a claim in small claims court against the vendor to get your money back.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    While it 100% sucks that this happened to you, being on TK doesn't make someone legit and you still need to do your own research, talk to their references, etc.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    i did my research just sucks, didnt know whether or not the knot looked into the vendors.. he had two businesses and used his same name so thats how they could've known if they did look.. he is not on the vendor list anymore so i assume that someone else must've reported him. My dad wants me to try and get some money back from him but come on i know that wont happen!! just such a shitty situation to deal with 5 weeks before the wedding :( g
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_the-knot-vendors-got-scammed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:702f7166-8e8b-4402-b832-1ef61c98f4faPost:324b6d53-c939-44ad-b3bb-d9f727dc41c4">Re: the knot vendors, got scammed</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: the knot vendors, got scammed : <strong>Then how did you miss it in your research?</strong> You should try to get some of your money back but if you don't want to bother, I guess you shouldn't? 
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

And more importantly, if you did do your research ahead of time why on earth would you still have booked with them?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm sorry you got scammed, that really blows.  However, TK vendors PAY to be on here.  They are not backed by this site at all, as long as a vendor pays them, they really don't give a crap how they do business.  Hopefully you can get your deposit back, but I also recommend leaving reviews where you can to warn other brides, since clearly his paid advertising won't do that.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Sorry you got scammed.

I agree with what the others have said.  Just because someone's business is on here, doesn't mean that TK is endorsing their business.  It just means that TK happily took their money for advertising.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    i dont blame TK .. i stated earlier that it 100% my fault, just annoyign that they dont try to research for the people who use this site. like i said also before i did do my research and again i booked may 17th the story broke on nbc end of june and many times after that, there was a few reviews saying he was great and blah blah and i spoke with him. there was not one negative thi ng about this guy anywhere on the internet. so i missed it. im not trying to get anything from TK or do anything to them i just had no clue how vendors got on this website. im more of less complaining about getting scammed ... thanks ladies.
  • Options
    just annoyign that they dont try to research for the people who use this site.

TK is a free site.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_the-knot-vendors-got-scammed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:702f7166-8e8b-4402-b832-1ef61c98f4faPost:13c54f82-b6bb-4468-affd-b5012b69674a">Re: the knot vendors, got scammed</a>:
    [QUOTE]just annoyign that they dont try to research for the people who use this site. <strong>TK is a free site.
    </strong>Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If they won't put the money into buying a development server (which is why the boards are frequently messed up) then they certainly aren't going to pay their staff to sit around and research/vet the vendors that pay to advertise on the site.

OP - it totally sucks that this happened to you, but TK is not responsible for it. We're all responsible for the choices we make and your time would be better spent filling out the paperwork to take this company to small claims court then whining to us.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    That sucks, but ditto PP vendors pay to be on TK.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards