Chit Chat

Bridal Shower Help!!!!

I am throwing 2 seperate showers one for me (the bride) which will consist of females and one for the groom which will consist of the males. We are having them on the same time and date but different places. We will be having the parties in Febuary and we live in the Ft.Worth Tx area. We are doing the "female" party at the brides mothers house and are going to be doing girly stuff. But we have a problem for the males party my father just recently got hurt and will be in a wheel chair/walker for about 2 years (wedding is June 2010 he wont be better until 2011) at first I figured they could go bowling, paintballing or something of that nature before my father got hurt now I need a new idea for them I want them to have fun but I dont want my dad to feel left out. What could they do??? Our place is way too small to host a party so it has to be at a specific place. We also need something thats not real expensive either.

Re: Bridal Shower Help!!!!

• I can't help.
    I don't understand your post at all.

The bridal shower is thrown by the MOH, assisted by the bridesmaids.  It's never thrown by the bride, and never hosted by the bride's mother - because that would be a total gift grab as if the shower were all about scoring some great gifts.

If you want to get a bunch of friends together to enjoy "girlie stuff," that's fine.  But it's certainly not a shower.

And if your DH wants to get a bunch of his friends together  - that's fine.  But it's certainly not coordinated by the bride-to-be, and it's certainly not a shower.

Oh, here.  I can help with this part.  How about if your DH plans a Superbowl party, with tailgate food, etc.?  You said February, and the Super Bowl is on Feb. 7, 2010.  Your dad can certainly enjoy that, and he won't feel stupid being in a CHAIR, because everyone attending the party will be sitting in chairs. 
  • You shouldn't plan your own showers, so really, none of this is your problem.

I have no idea what your F being in a wheelchair has anything to do with showers.  At showers, everyone sits and watches the bride or bride and groom unwrap gifts.  Do you mean bachelor party?  There doesn't have to be a bachelor party.  You have no business planning one; that's the best man's job.  There are plenty of things your F can do in a wheel chair.  They can go out to eat, they can have a party at someone's house.  He's in a wheel chair, not a coma. 
  • You do not, I repeat, DO NOT plan your own shower.  Can you say "tacky"? Showers are about getting gifts, and you should never, never plan your own gift-giving event. 

Second, I've never actually seen a "shower" for the groom IRL. If you are just looking for something for the men in the family to do while you're with the girls, just call it a party (NOT a shower).   Also, have them watch sports or movies.  They could also have a poker night. 
  • I agree about not throwing your own shower.  If you think the guys will want to get together while the women are at a shower, as your FI what he thinks.  Maybe they could all go to a sports bar together and watch a basketball game or something else that is on at that time.  I wouldn't worry about planning something though.  They won't expect it.
  • oo poker night.  I'd like to do that!

Anyway, I think what you really mean to be talkng about is an engagement party.  Or bach party.  Either way, the key word is PARTY.  As pp have said, you do not host your own shower!  I also have not heard of a shower for the groom anyway.  A joint shower, sure, but that's not what you're talking about.
  • The bride does not plan the showers.
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2009
    The bride (and groom) planning showers is the definition of rude.  You shouldn't have anything to do with this.

If someone OFFERS to throw your groom a shower for the guys, that person will decide what to do for entertainment.  But given how rare guy only showers are, this is probably not going to happen, and if it does, it isn't your fault.

EDIT: If it does, it isn't your problem.
  • You don't plan your own bridal shower or bachelorette party.  I think that the idea that mom can't throw one has gone sort of by the wayside as showers have become more standard, but it's still very rude to throw yourself a party that serves no purpose other than for people to bring you gifts.  If your FI wants to do a guy's day while you're having your shower (that someone else will throw, mind), that's his call entirely, and not yours to plan.

If your wedding isn't until June, showers won't be on any of your attendants' radars for at least another three months or so at the earliest.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I disagree with Kristin. Most ppl I know have had their moms, aunts, FMIL or grandparents throw the showers, not the bridal party In my group of friends, we are all recent college grads, we can''t afford to throw all of our friends showers. But mostly, it is anyone who offers.

But neveer throw your own, it's rude and makes it look like you are grubbing for gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with the above. You do see more Mom's, etc. throwing the showers, but you shouldn't throw your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards