Chit Chat

Planning a wedding at a hotel that's not open yet....

There's a hotel in Miami that's set to open July 2010. Judging by the photos online it's exactly what I want for my wedding. It's a Mariott hotel. If I am looking for an October or November wedding, is it just crazy to book this place that won't be open for months?

Re: Planning a wedding at a hotel that's not open yet....

• I'd be a bit wary of that.  Hotel openings are generally notorious for being late.  Even if they are open in time, there are no guarantees all the landscaping etc will be finished if things run behind. Up to you, but it could add an extra stress-factor that you probably don't need right before the wedding.
  • That's cutting it really, really close.  I don't think I'd schedule something like a wedding at a hotel within six months of the scheduled opening, just to give them a chance to work out the kinks.  Plus, it may not actually look exactly like the concept photos.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I generally agree with the previous posters, but Mariott is generally very reputable with the hotel business.  Talk to the managers of the new site, and even see if you can talk to the construction foreman or a rep from the construction company.

I would still give it a little time before finalizing anything though.  Maybe sign a contract but withold the deposit until it is finished - have a clause that either party can void the contract before the deposit is paid, and that the deposit is due on X date.
    That way, if they need to back out, they can without you losinng any money, and you can back out if it gets too stressful and find another place.
  • Honestly I would not do it. If you do I agree with pp who said have them add a clause into the contract "Maybe sign a contract but withold the deposit until it is finished - have a clause that either party can void the contract before the deposit is paid, and that the deposit is due on X date."

• Well, if you're going to book unseen, Marriott is probably a decent choice.

It's the Miami part that would concern me more.  Have you any way of finding out the housing completion data for the past 6 months or so?  That was crunch time and if they came through okay, my worries would calm down
  • I wouldn't do it. Cutting it too close in my opinion.  And even if you did somethng with the contract clause, will you be able to find a new location 6 months out? Or 3? Or 1?
    Crosswalk
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards