Chit Chat

hurricane sandy

I was supposed to get married on november 10 . had to reschedule for  march 9. my apartment in long beach ny still has no heat or hot water. so grateful to be safe but still feeling sad.   any ideas on how to have a fall wedding in march??   How do i word the new invites?

Re: hurricane sandy

• I'd send out a postcard type announcement ASAP letting people know the new date (Something like "Manganhl and FI's wedding has been rescheduled for March 9, 2013.  Please save the date!"), then would send regular invitations two months before the March date, worded the same way as a "regular" invitation.

Also, side note, I'm in LB too and I feel your pain.  I hope you have heat and hot water back soon!
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hurricane-sandy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:8c892f56-c7fb-4e88-98b1-1193e299297bPost:47049fa9-8b76-42dd-85e5-0696646358db">Re: hurricane sandy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd send out a postcard type announcement ASAP letting people know the new date (Something like "Manganhl and FI's wedding has been rescheduled for March 9, 2013.  Please save the date!"), then would send regular invitations two months before the March date, worded the same way as a "regular" invitation. Also, side note, I'm in LB too and I feel your pain.  I hope you have heat and hot water back soon!
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]
    Thank you so much. I'm glad you are well.  Lets hope LB comes back stronger!
  • I like Steph's advice.

My MIL lives in Rockville Ctr, they were pretty good.  But a lot of DH's friends and family live in Long Beach, Oceanside, Freeport and the Rockaways and are in bad shape, some lost everything. 

I hope you get your heat back soon.  I'm sure LB comes back stronger

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hurricane-sandy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:8c892f56-c7fb-4e88-98b1-1193e299297bPost:5d97b58b-7cde-459e-bd9c-7fe81569ab6d">hurricane sandy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was supposed to get married on november 10 . had to reschedule for  march 9. my apartment in long beach ny still has no heat or hot water. so grateful to be safe but still feeling sad.   any ideas on how to have a fall wedding in march??   How do i word the new invites?
    Posted by manganhl[/QUOTE]

So sorry you're doing through this. We got hit pretty hard too. Good luck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with Steph's advice.  I am glad you were able to move the date too!

Sorry you have to deal with this.  I have relatives in NJ and on Long Island, NY.  My dad grew up out there.  Most of them just lost power for a while and were able to stay with others for a few weeks.  I was most worried about my cousin who is a police officer and had to cut his vacation short to make it back to NJ BEFORE the storm hit!  I wish the media would remind people that the storm is over, but the devastation is still very much alive for many people.  

Hoping you get your heat and hot water back very soon!
  • Garden, being related to law enforcement is so hard during stuff like this.  My brother is a police officer in the Rockaways.  I will let you guess how much sleep I got the nights he worked during and immediately after the hurricane.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hurricane-sandy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:8c892f56-c7fb-4e88-98b1-1193e299297bPost:c72ae84d-0048-45d7-b12e-81a96fa88c3f">Re: hurricane sandy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Garden, being related to law enforcement is so hard during stuff like this.  My brother is a police officer in the Rockaways.  I will let you guess how much sleep I got the nights he worked during and immediately after the hurricane.

<div>I'm guessing very little!  I think the worst part was he was visiting his parents when he had to return to NJ.  They are in TN now.  I know having to let him go was really difficult for my aunt.  One of those hug you so tight you can't breathe kind of moments! </div>
  • I'm so sorry, but I'm glad you're spirits are high and that you're safe! Steph's invitation idea is good. As far as the "fall" part, do you already have your centerpieces and decorations made/ready? What is the color scheme? Regardless, your guest will know the situation. Even if you have bright red, orange, and yellow flowers and pumpkins everywhere, I can't imagine a soul who would judge you. However, if there is still time and it's in the budget for you to make small adjustments to make it more of a winter or spring wedding, go for it. Honestly, though, I wouldn't worry about that if it's a stressor for you. There's plenty more to worry about, unfortunately. :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • To build on what Ali, said, because I forgot about the "fall" part when I was responding, you could always keep your "fall" colors and ask the florist if s/he can substitute in more spring-like flowers in the same colors to adjust a little bit (this might also be cheaper since flowers are often more expensive when they're "out of season").  Also, early March around here is still quite cold (not much warmer at all than November, actually) so I don't think your BM dresses or any of the other "colder weather" clothing you might be planning to incorporate will look out of place.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
  • Thank you all for your well wishes
    my bridesmaid dresses are chocolate and all my favors were already ordered with the date on them. Pretty much eveything was done. It's like starting all over but I have to say all my vendors are amazing. They have all moved everything for me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hurricane-sandy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:8c892f56-c7fb-4e88-98b1-1193e299297bPost:c72ae84d-0048-45d7-b12e-81a96fa88c3f">Re: hurricane sandy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Garden, being related to law enforcement is so hard during stuff like this.  <strong>My brother is a police officer in the Rockaways.</strong>  I will let you guess how much sleep I got the nights he worked during and immediately after the hurricane.

Kudos to your brother! 

My sisters FIL lives in Far Rockaway,  he said the police officers have been incredible!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hurricane-sandy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:8c892f56-c7fb-4e88-98b1-1193e299297bPost:587e4d20-6791-4435-8502-db87eefa67c6">Re: hurricane sandy</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: hurricane sandy : Kudos to your brother!  My sisters FIL lives in Far Rockaway,  he said the police officers have been incredible!
    Posted by LiLe422[/QUOTE]

Thank you! He has been working his tail off, I could not be more proud of him.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_hurricane-sandy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:8c892f56-c7fb-4e88-98b1-1193e299297bPost:5d97b58b-7cde-459e-bd9c-7fe81569ab6d">hurricane sandy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was supposed to get married on november 10 . had to reschedule for  march 9. my apartment in long beach ny still has no heat or hot water. so grateful to be safe but still feeling sad.   any ideas on how to have a fall wedding in march??   How do i word the new invites?
    Posted by manganhl[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the apartment, I'm in LB too. I didn't lose anything thankfully but it has been real rough for everyone.

All I can say is hang in, it will get better. You will have an amazing wedding and you will be a gorgeous bride. Marxh 9th will be here before you know it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards