Chit Chat
Options

As a guest, what do you most value in a wedding reception?

As brides, we always have unique priorities.  We get overwhelmed by all the details our guests never see.  What do you appreciate most as a guest?
Photobucket

Re: As a guest, what do you most value in a wedding reception?

• Options
    As a guest, I like to have dinner, drink and dance. I honestly don't pay much attention to centerpieces unless they're very unique and the cake I don't care much for. I enjoy open bars and dancing till the reception is over
  • Options
    For me it's all about the food. I don't care about an open or cash bar, or the music/dancing. I don't mind how a venue is decorated, since it's personal to the couple, not me. But if the food sucks, it brings down the entire reception experience because I usually end up hungry and wanting to leave.
  • Options
    Definitely the dinner. A well put together menu tells me the bride and groom cares about their guests and is honored to have them spend their special day with them. I don't have to have an open bar, but some alcohol provided is always nice. I could care less about the photobooths and all that extra stuff. I am more of a practical girl.
  • Options
    We made sure to have great food and a 5 hour premium open bar.  We also want a fun DJ.  Those are the important things.  We want to make sure people leave happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Having a great group of co-guests. Nothing is more lame than going to a reception and there are only a few othere people under the age of 60. Don't leave out all your old college buddies so grandma can invite her bridge club!
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • Options
    I like the food.  It doesn't have to be fancy or a full meal, but I love it when the food tastes delicious and that deliciousness is consistent.  Not soggy pasta or limp green beans.  The best non-baked macaroni I ever had was at a BBQ reception.  And we went to another where the cocktail hour food was so amazing that the typical wedding food buffet was a letdown.  My aunt had a cocktail reception when I was in HS and I just kept on going back for more.
  • Options
    great food, great drinks, great music, and not an extremely long gap between church and reception
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Good food is definitely important.  I'd rather have a well-made burger than a bland steak.  I also like when the couple's personality comes through.  It's a little sad when anyone could be standing in for the bride and groom and it still works.  The best weddings are always very "them".
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    For me, it's a comfortable venue and (plenty of) good food.  I want to relax, watch people, and enjoy the party.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_guest-value-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:8ec56271-4601-4f0a-bfbd-d08868f9ecfePost:4257e67f-c144-40b3-9500-b76c7846c940">Re: As a guest, what do you most value in a wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the food.  It doesn't have to be fancy or a full meal, but I love it when the food tastes delicious and that deliciousness is consistent.  Not soggy pasta or limp green beans.  The best non-baked macaroni I ever had was at a BBQ reception.  And we went to another where the cocktail hour food was so amazing that the typical wedding food buffet was a letdown.  My aunt had a cocktail reception when I was in HS and I just kept on going back for more.
    Posted by gottahavashorti[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  I don't care what meal it is, as long as it's good.  I hate leaving a wedding hungry.  Sure fire way to end your reception early. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_guest-value-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:8ec56271-4601-4f0a-bfbd-d08868f9ecfePost:0589af37-0fd6-48c3-90bf-3728b462d68b">Re: As a guest, what do you most value in a wedding reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Having a great group of co-guests. Nothing is more lame than going to a reception and there are only a few othere people under the age of 60. Don't leave out all your old college buddies so grandma can invite her bridge club!
    Posted by RochelleAnn2302[/QUOTE]

I second this.  The best weddings I've been to had plenty of people who I knew and could chat it up with.

I also really like it when people incorporate different traditions that are important to their family into the wedding.  Chinese weddings, Indian weddings, even pagan weddings are terribly interesting to me.  I like to learn something new sometimes :)
  • Options
    Good music and lots of dancing! I agree the food is always a plus, but I hate when you go to a wedding and nobody is dancing! I want to get out on the floor and have fun but I don't want to be the only one.
  • Options
    For me, it's all about the music and dancing.  There is nothing worse than going to a wedding where the DJ plays nothing but the chicken dance and the YMCA. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    1. dancing and if people are having fun
    2. dinner -was it tasty?
    3. alcohol. any interesting drinks?  Was it free and was there enough?

everything else would make an impression on me about whether the wedding was elaborate or nice but it wouldn't have an effect on whether I had fun.  Having fun is determined mostly by other guests at the party.  If they dance and have fun then the wedding is fun.  
  • Options
    I voted for dinner but I'd say equal parts dinner, drinks and good music.
  • Options
    Food, music, drinks
  • Options
    I hate to dance, so I'd say the extras are what I value since they're what will entertain me. That and the co-guests as people have mentioned.

One of my good friends now is someone I met when I was seated at a table with her for the wedding of a mutual friend. We had so much fun it is one of my favourite weddings I've ever been to - and I really appreciate the seating plan that introduced us!
  • Options
    Free booze!

No, seriously, food and drink for sure.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    For me the most important thing is the atmosphere. If people are open, friendly, and ready to have a good time, the wedding's a hit! The best wedding I've ever been to was really low budget. They didn't hire an expensive caterer or have fancy decorations, just lots of awesome people, amazing music, and an open bar....everyone partied til 2 in the morning!
  • Options
    Music is very important to me (for anything), but I have come to terms with the fact that most "wedding music" is not going to impress me. I don't like rap, pop, country, or cheesy 80's and 90's ballads, which basically leaves Frank Sinatra and any minimal classic rock that's played.
    SO... I put a lot of emphasis on everything else that makes the wedding a real experience: candy buffets, photo booths (even though I've never been to a wedding with one, it sounds like so much fun!), traditions like the bouquet toss and the dollar dance, and co-guests. If I can eat cake, have a few drinks, enjoy the festivities, and talk to other attendents - I'm happy.
  • Options

As long as they have good music to keep the party going it's all good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    #1.  Good food, more importantly...enough of it.  No one wants to hear about how GREAT the mini-lamb chops were...if they couldnt get there hands on them.  On the flip side, I don't care if you serve simple sliders, just make sure there's enough for everyone.  I have been to many weddings, and although I cannot remember any particular dishes...I CERTAINLY remember the 2 weddings I went to and left hungry, having to stop at McDonalds ont he way home :(

#2.  Please make sure there is ample seating.  A friends wedding comes tommind...the venue was RIDICULOUS, beautiful views of the city.  Cocktail hour was on the veranda, everythign was gorgeous, and there was my 7 month preganant with twins girlfriend with nowhere to sit, not good.

#3.  Being treated acoordingly...DO NOT write 'Black Tie' on the invite and then not have enough staff to attend to your guests (there was 1 bartender for approx.150 guests), a serve yourself buffet (how cute was that when the ladies in ballgowns got to serve themselves on the buffet line?), and lastly...you run out of basic over the counter chocolate (hersheys...minis, not even full size)-favors.  VERY tacky.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Food, drinks, and personality. From the three most recent weddings I went to, what I remember most:

1. This one must have been SUPER expensive! It was in a fancy place and had apparently fancy food, but nothing was really stand out to me. I felt like they did a bunch of traditional stuff, just because they felt they should, not because it was right. We kept going back for the spanikopita, though. It was delicious.

2. This one was outdoors and didn't have enough seating, which meant everyone had to stand during the ceremony. I was in heels, essentially aerating their lawn for them. Not fun. But they had TONS of alcohol, so I can't say I remember too much of the rest of the night ;-)

3. This one was PERFECT. I remember the buffet being delicious, the cake cutting was done with a sword, and the bride and groom made sure to talk to everyone (including me, although I was just a +1!). Everyone was genuinely happy to be there, and the personalities of the bride and groom were evident everywhere. I've become much closer to this couple since, mostly because I felt like I knew them so well after the wedding. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot Check out my blog musings at: www.geekyhostess.com
  • Options
    Personalization.  I like to feel that this event is completely personal to the bride and groom, that I am immersed in their celebration of their love, and as such, this wedding is a re-confirmation of everyone else's marriages and a celebration of marriage and love.

Forethought for the guests:  That means NO buffet because trying to manage a heavy dinner plate through a line of people, scooping out my own serving of food from a trough/tray and then carrying the plates back to my seat - when I'm wearing dress clothes and heels which I wear infrequently...  well, it's too much.  And that means NO drama show by the BMs and groomsmen fighting and crying in the bathroom that all the guests have to use.  And that means NO toasts that include stories about the bride or groom drinking to excess, puking, fcking, getting arrested/jailed/whatever.
  • Options
    i didnt have a choice but i voted for fun extras. well, i guess i could have done little details. i value the seating arrangements. i always have blasts when im sat with peple close to my personality. last wedding i did that i made new friends.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Consideration for the guests including no buffet, seating for all, and a heartfelt welcome/thanks from the bride and groom top my list.  I get really offended if the bride and groom don't make an effort to say hello and thanks for coming to everyone present.
  • Options

For me it's the company..the other guests...even if the food is great, if there's no good company, I also want to leave early

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The food definately makes it or breaks it for me! And like others have posted, make sure there are people there that you can have fun with and dance!!
    "I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you." imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    the food & music
  • Options
    With planning my wedding I've thought back on the weddings I've attended and what I remember.  I don't remember what the chairs looked like.  I don't remember the centerpieces.  I don't remember the ceilings (except where the bride made a point of telling me about it in advance).  I kinda remember the food.  I remember the 6pm reception that didn't serve a meal (and that was in 1986).  I remember the weddings where they paid for a DJ and then hardly anyone danced so we just kinda sat around wondering when it woul be over.  I remember throwing away just about every favor I ever got. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards