Chit Chat
Options

Gift Opening?

Does anyone do these any more? Are u?

Re: Gift Opening?

• Options
    I think some people do. I was recently at one wedding and there were some, but def more cards!
  • Options
    I would have been very uncomfortable opening our gifts in front of people.  H and I sat down together in private to open our gifts.  I wouldn't have had it any other way.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    As much as people despise them, they still seem to occur at every shower I've been to. I never saw them at Weddings, though, that's a new one to me...
  • Options
    Our family got together the day after to open gifts. It's a tradition in my family, but I don't know about others.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In my area at least, I know a lot of couples who hold a brunch the day after and open gifts then.
    Oct '11 Siggy Challenge: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think wedding gifts should be opened in front of anyone except maybe immediate family IF they really want to be there.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    I went to a wedding once where after the ceremony we went back to the couple's house and had to watch them open gifts for what seemed like hours! It took up the majority of the reception time and what's worse is that we got in trouble with the groom's parents for talking while they were opening gifts! I felt that it was a bit tacky and I definitely wouldn't do it at my wedding. I feel that the wedding gifts should be opened in private or with close family members the day after.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Simply Fated - why dont think people should open the gifts at a shower???

In my area bruches the next morning where the B&G open boxed gifts is very common but we are not doing it.  We're having brunch at the hotel where everyone is staying but no gift opening.
  • Options
    For B shower, definitely.

But for weddings, I've usually seen the presents loaded into wedding car at end of night but not opened. I don't plan to open my wedding day presents until afterward

• Options
    For the wedding we are going to have just our parents and my sister over to open the wedding gifts the next day. I hadn't thought of this at all until my sister asked if I minded doing it, because she did it after her wedding and really wanted to continue the tradition after mine.

I don't mind...if they want to watch us open gifts I'm okay with that. I would just have to show them the things I got later anyway when they ask to see them, hahaha.
    my read shelf:
    Elysia's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    amberb612amberb612 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    Thanks! I don't plan to do one because I think it's tacky, but my mom is pushing me to do it because it's tradition in her family. I think I'm going to hold strong and say no. Plus I don't plan on getting up early for anything the next day!
  • Options
    My parents and my FI's parents are doing a brunch the day after the wedding so we can open our wedding gifts. I've never heard of opening presents at the actual wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

September 2011 Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Location

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_gift-opening?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a0f52320-77ad-4b52-b5d2-bc74a65d8dc2Post:7e692e96-7342-4f3f-aa2d-6f3144d24a78">Re: Gift Opening?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our family got together the day after to open gifts. It's a tradition in my family, but I don't know about others.
    Posted by NillaWafer10[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what we're doing. Couldn't imagine opening in front of guests - and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be overly excited to watch either
  • Options
    I went to one wedding when I was a kid (so over 25 years ago) where the couple opened their gifts at the reception but I don't remember people paying much attention to it.  Every other wedding they have just loaded them up and taken them away.  One of my cousins opened hers  the next day at her parents house.  We had continued the celebration that day so it was more than just opening the gifts.  A friend did hers right after her reception at her parents house, with some family and close friends.  But neither was made into a big deal it was more of "hey, they're going to open their gifts now if anyone wants to watch"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Until I read this, I had totally not even given a thought to when I'd open the gifts people brought to the wedding.  Oops.

I've never seen gifts opened AT a wedding.  I imagine we'll do it the next morning.  Since our parents will be staying in the same hotel, I imagine they might join us.
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards