Chit Chat
Options

friends

My two best friends live out of state.  I work with women that are mostly catty and much younger than I am.  I am having a hard time meeting nice people.  I tried Craigslist and did meet one woman but she only really wanted to text and we barely hung out.  I joined a group on Meet Up.com and it went horribly when I went to an event.  I will be starting classes soon at a new University so I am thinking that is a good opportunity to meet new people.  I love being with FI but I have realized that he is the only person that I hang out.  I need some girl time.  Ay suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks :)

Re: friends

• Options
    School should be a good way to meet other women.  You could also consider doing volunteer work.

I find it hard to make female friends as well -- so instead I've focused on staying closer with the friends I already have via facebook/email, skype, and occasional visits.   I still make new aquaintances, and some of those have blossomed into friendships, but I try not to force it or spend too much energy worrying about finding new friendships.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Maybe try an exercise class? I find that sometimes people are more open in those sorts of environments? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I joined Camp Gladiator, which is a fitness boot camp for all levels, and I met tons of girls there. I also ran into an old friend from college that I didn't even know was in it, and we've reconnected as well.
  • Options

I would also suggest an exercise class or something like that. I met some of my really good friends at ballet class and one of them is a BM.

Anniversary
  • Options
    School is the best place to meet people! Youve got a common interest in doing well in the class and it's SO easy to be like "hey how'd you do on that test? I know, she never went over that part!" blah blah etc especially for me being in classes with all nursing perquisites you meet others are all trying to get into the nursing program so you always compare scores, help eachother study, it really is the best way to make friends. Nursing school is even better for it because it's sooo hard and you're relying on your friends to give you the motivation to get through it. You'll Meet people at school don't worry
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    shaina925shaina925 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for all of the replies!  I do belong to a kettlebell gym, and take classes several times a week.  A lot of the women who go are significantly older than I am, but there are a few around my age.  It seems like everyone already knows each other, so I guess I will just have to be friendly and introduce myself :)
  • Options
    Good luck :)

I am really only close IRL to my sister, my mother to some extent. I have a couple of woman I occasionally go to dinner with IRL, but my really-know-me friends are online and I see them once a year. I consider myself very socially inept, and guarded. I think you have some great ideas here, and like the concept of seeking someone that already enjoys a hobby that you do.
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree with PP, but also, don't close people off due to age. I have close friends who are 10 years younger than me and up to 20 years older. Our common interests and/or mutual friends brought us together but we're a really diverse group. I love it when we all get together.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:ab8822fa-be38-45a3-90b0-c5d4b6138d22Post:64db8507-ade8-40d4-9a85-6c648a568001">Re: friends</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PP, but also, don't close people off due to age. I have close friends who are 10 years younger than me and up to 20 years older. Our common interests and/or mutual friends brought us together but we're a really diverse group. I love it when we all get together.
    Posted by balletdawn[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more about the age thing. I got hooked up with a running group by a mutual (non-running) friend who recommended I contact a girl she knows who lives near me and likes to run too. Now we are a group of 4 women (of whom I am the youngest by a good ten years), but we have a blast, and it's great for some female companionship (which I need after working with guys all day). We're not best friends, but it definitely helps:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Oh definitely true about the age thing.  I am actually friends with the woman who I used to babysit for back when I was around 16 years old and she is in her mid 40's I am late 20's,  She is a lot of fun!  Oh and plus we have FI's best friends parents who are in their 50's and we always LOVE getting together with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards