Chit Chat

Olympic Spoilers Rant (no spoilers here, just talking about spoiling)

Sorry to hijack the entire board... it's slow at work.

I am pretty furious with everyone who is spoiling the Olympics for those of us that either a) prefer to watch them on primetime or b) are at work and have no choice to wait.
I just find it hard to believe that these people are such diehard gymnastic and swimming fans that they are truly that excited about the outcome. Moreover, they want to be the 'first' and ruin it for others.
I know it sounds so ridiculous, but I've defriended two people on facebook because I'm just like, dude, come on? You're clearly trying to tell everyone before they find out the way they want to (which for most people is primetime).

/Rant Over/

Re: Olympic Spoilers Rant (no spoilers here, just talking about spoiling)

• I feel you.  I have now decided that I am no longer going to look at FB until the Olympics are over with.

As for my mouthy co-workers who stalk the internet all day to find out the results, not really sure what I am going to do about them.

• ems27ems27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_olympic-spoilers-rant-no-spoilers-here-just-talking-about-spoiling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:b4ecfa7d-e937-42fc-ab2a-026d9c49de2dPost:db939bb2-454d-44b0-81df-c4f95aced8f2">Re: Olympic Spoilers Rant (no spoilers here, just talking about spoiling)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel you.  I have now decided that I am no longer going to look at FB until the Olympics are over with. As for my mouthy co-workers who stalk the internet all day to find out the results, not really sure what I am going to do about them.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

Literally just had someone loudly announce to our room a big result. Whompwhomp. 
    June 2013 August Sig Challenge
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, that really sucks.

I occasionally check our local news site and they've got the tally of medals, but thankfully aren't putting who won on the main page (or if they are, Im completely oblivious).

I have a semi rant too. .
    We just got cable on Saturday. So NBC has been talking about live-streaming the Olympics online and DH and I were really excited because we would get to see more (this was before we got cable). Well, the cable men weren't coming until 5pm Saturday, and some of the things we wanted to watch were already taking place. Sooo we were like 'cool, we'll watch online'. . . Nooope. Apparently you've got to have cable to watch the events online. At least, that's the issue we were running into. So I'm really happy we have cable and can watch things live right now, but feel for those who don't and possibly miss some of the events they wanted to see.

/> end rant.

I hope people stop spoiling things for you!! :o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have cable, but H can't remember our password. He's working non-stop & can't deal with that right now so I'm Olympic deficient.
  • edited July 2012
    I really wish NBC would show the super popular events live for those of us are ARE able to watch live during the day. In 2012, with message boards, Facebook, Twitter, the news online and on TV, it's near impossible to avoid hearing results before the events are played live.

I know everything is available online if you have a cable subscription, but our internet is very, very slow and very choppy (we get it for free, so really can't complain) AND I was gone while the women's team gymnastics event was playing so I couldn't have watched. If it had been available on NBC, I would have DVRed and watched as soon as I got home, before seeing any spoilers online.
    Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • Agreed Ace!

Im getting used to this whole DVR thing (we haven't had cable in 7 years).
    I wish you could select which events you'd like to record. Right now, we have all olympic events on DVR recording, but I know theres only a couple that we really want to watch.

I also think NBC should have been a bit more upfront about the fact that you HAD to have cable in order to live-stream it.
  • cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_olympic-spoilers-rant-no-spoilers-here-just-talking-about-spoiling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b4ecfa7d-e937-42fc-ab2a-026d9c49de2dPost:8421d692-5204-413d-b198-8c2c874fc0e8">Re: Olympic Spoilers Rant (no spoilers here, just talking about spoiling)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agreed Ace! Im getting used to this whole DVR thing (we haven't had cable in 7 years). I wish you could select which events you'd like to record. Right now, we have all olympic events on DVR recording, but I know theres only a couple that we really want to watch. I also think NBC should have been a bit more upfront about the fact that you HAD to have cable in order to live-stream it.
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

We actually don't have any cable, and I've been going to my mom's to watch it, and SHE just has digital sattelite, no cable and certainly no DVR. So basically I am watching the Olympics like 1996, but having to suffer through current day social media spoilers.

But DH and I have an XBox hooked up to our Wifi and we gladly would have paid 50-100 for streaming access to all of the Olympics.

ETA: I really have no one to blame but myself for not having access to cable or a DVR so maybe I should just shut it.
  • F MY LIFE!

I just looked at the NBCOlympics page to find out what time Archery is on and they had the freaking results (picture style) on the main page of something I'm waiting to watch tonight. . .
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_olympic-spoilers-rant-no-spoilers-here-just-talking-about-spoiling?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:b4ecfa7d-e937-42fc-ab2a-026d9c49de2dPost:045c7688-54e0-4557-bf78-929e0f866e97">Re: Olympic Spoilers Rant (no spoilers here, just talking about spoiling)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olympic Spoilers Rant (no spoilers here, just talking about spoiling) : So basically I am watching the Olympics like 1996, but having to suffer through current day social media spoilers.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

But in 1996 the Olympics were in Atlanta so I believe we could watch everything live! ;-)
    Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • My MOH went to the women's gymnastic finals yesterday.  She posted after the event that the USA won gold.  I wasn't the only one who was a little peeved at her posting the results, especially since I was really looking forward to watching the event last night.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards