Chit Chat

I have a question about tipping!

Hey ladies!! I just have a quick question so i can make sure i work this into our budget. I was just wondering what people you are supposed to tip for your wedding. I know you are supposed to tip your bartender. I was just wanting to know from you ladies who are already married or just know the answer to this. Also what percent is appropriate. Any help would be great so i make sure not to leave anyone out on accident!

Re: I have a question about tipping!

• Also i should add that we are already paying an 18% service charge to the venue if that makes any difference!

• The 18% service charge is their grat. If you add another 15-20% to that, you're paying crazy extra per drink. 
  • Ok thanks. So im not sure who all the 18% service charge covers. With our package deal we bought with the venue we got our wedding planner and one assistant for the wedding day. Also our officiant, pianist, and then the bartenders and stuff.   The florist and cake decorators and DJ are all seperate vendors not affiliated with the venue. So what is typical to tip these people. Also are you supposed to tip photographer, ect. This stuff is all over my head!! We are 2 1/2 months out from the wedding and its getting to the stressful part!! Money! Lol so i wanna be sure i have it all figured out!

• The service charge should include the tip.  We also tipped the flower delivery guy, the limo driver, and our ceremony musician.  You should tip the DJ, videographer and photographer if they are not the owners of the company.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-have-a-question-about-tipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b52ea4dc-4da9-4a86-aa50-1cf41316c6bdPost:bec21afc-08a6-4acb-9225-e07f5e179a99">Re: I have a question about tipping!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The service charge should include the tip.  We also tipped the flower delivery guy, the limo driver, and our ceremony musician.  You should tip the DJ, videographer and photographer if they are not the owners of the company.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]
     <div>Thank you. The Photographer and DJ are both owners of their own companies. They are friends of mine, but both very successful with their businesses. So i should tip them still. No limo driver. </div>
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-have-a-question-about-tipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b52ea4dc-4da9-4a86-aa50-1cf41316c6bdPost:bf2a4220-7274-4d60-ad38-11c59df87f27">I have a question about tipping!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey ladies!! I just have a quick question so i can make sure i work this into our budget. I was just wondering what people you are supposed to tip for your wedding. I know you are supposed to tip your bartender. I was just wanting to know from you ladies who are already married or just know the answer to this. Also what percent is appropriate. Any help would be great so i make sure not to leave anyone out on accident!
    Posted by fleab2oo3[/QUOTE]

<div>Tips for our wait staff, bartenders, etc were included in our service charge (but Stage is right - you need to ask if it's included.  Not all venues include the tips in their service charge).  We also tipped our photographer, DJ, and officiant.  They own their own businesses, but they also far exceeded our expectations - so we felt that tips were appropriate.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: I also obviously tipped the stylists at the salon that did my nails and hair.  I think that's a given though.</div><div>
    </div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-have-a-question-about-tipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b52ea4dc-4da9-4a86-aa50-1cf41316c6bdPost:898d817b-301b-4c9a-9a10-bc6bcf7b8efe">Re: I have a question about tipping!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I have a question about tipping! :   Thank you. The Photographer and DJ are both owners of their own companies. They are friends of mine, but both very successful with their businesses. So i should tip them still. No limo driver. 
    Posted by fleab2oo3[/QUOTE]

<div>If the are your friends, you could always give them a gift if you are not sure a tip would be appropriate. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-have-a-question-about-tipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:b52ea4dc-4da9-4a86-aa50-1cf41316c6bdPost:2cdc54c6-cd15-4717-9c49-cb9512e09a14">Re:I have a question about tipping!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, I hate the don't tip if they own the company rule. I can tell you for a fact that my good friend who is a photographer makes less money when she does a wedding than those who work for a large photog company and get paid an hourly wage or flat fee. Same with my MoH who is a hairdresser. All of the products used when he goes onsite to do hair come out of his pocket, as opposed to if you hire him through the salon and go there, so he often ends up making less because he has the cost of the product, the cost of gas for travel, losing the possibility of other clients, AND no tip. I tip anyone who provides amazing service, regardless of ownership.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This. While etiquette dictates that you don't need to tip the owner of a company, it is never wrong to tip for exceptional service.  Our DJ was the owner of his company.  However, he MCed and helped keep the toasts going throughout the dinner, even though it was only in his contract to do the ceremony and dancing portion. He also kept people on the dance floor all night.  It was literally never empty from 6:45 to midnight.  We thought he did an outstanding job, so we gave him a tip even though he was the owner.

</div>
  • Thank you so much ladies! Great advice! Stage, im glad you mentioned to ask if gratituity is included because i would not have thought of that. I appreciate the feedback and feel much better about this now :)

• We tipped our DJ, Videographer, wedding coordinator(she didn't make much extra), our priest, had a catholic wedding outdoors, so he did this for us.  All together I think we ended up tipping a few hundred dollars.  We also decided to send out tips later with thank you cards, just since I figured tipping on how they did, and not what we were hoping made it easier for us to geive how much we wanted to each person..  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards