Chit Chat
Options

Off Birth Control Pills...side effects?

I been off birth control for a week now (was taking Ortho) for about 2 years. Any of you had issues when you got off them?  Read online some get moody, some lose weight, others gain weight...what's been your experience? Thanks

Re: Off Birth Control Pills...side effects?

• Options
    I got off birth control after I got engaged, and I haven't noticed any weight fluctuations.  I am moody sometimes - but I attribute it to the stress of wedding planning and not going off of birth control.

I have noticed though that my nightmare periods are back with a vengeance.  On the pill I had a pretty light flow for one day, and then another day or two of hardly anything worth a tampon.  Now it's a week-long suckfest complete with cramps, sore boobs, and general feelings of crappy-ness.  Yay! 

Another thing I've noticed is that I'll get pimples.  I don't break out, in fact, I've always had pretty clear skin - but before I was on the pill if I got a zit, it was like fecking Mt. St. Helens on my face or something.  On the pill?  Nothing.  Zilch.  And I've noticed now that once in a while I'll get a zit.  But that could be due to stress too.

I can't wait til I get back on the pill a couple months before the wedding.  I LOVE being on the pill.
    panther
  • Options
    I stopped hormonal birth control about 9 months ago for health reasons, after beeing on various forms for over 10 years (alesse, ortho, ortho lo, the patch and Nuva Ring). I haven't had any unexplained weight fluctuations, but my periods are more crampy and heavy than they have been since I first started having them. I never remember them being like this.

Other than that, my cholesterol has gone down significantly with no other lifestyle or diet changes, so mission accomplished.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I've gone on and off before and I gained weight or lost it (depending on the pill).  The things that were consistent were heavier periods (which on BC they are almost non-existent for me), moodier and increased bloating.  Everyone is different, but from what I understand these are the most common side effects.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Due to some insurance problems I was off the pill for a month or so and I had terrible headaches just about everyday. Some of that could have been stress but I contributed it to a change in hormone levels.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    Mine was weight loss.  I have been working out since February.  After three months with a trainer, I had lost one pound.  Three weeks off the pill and I've lost another five.  Five more and I'm at goal weight.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I was on the pill for 12 years and went off because I was worried about fertility (not worried anymore). My first period off the pill was THE most painful thing I had ever been through. Take pain reliever when feeling the cramps come on. It was terrible. Also, when I originally went on around 18 years old, I lost weight and boobs got bigger (weird, yes!). When went off, besides terrible cramps, I got heavier periods and acne on and off. I'm back on the pill because of the acne. The changes back on are cramps, soreness, headaches but no acne!! So yes, everyone is different but I know what to expect for me now, whether on or off.
  • Options
    I was on the pill and gained a TON of weight...I've always worked out regularly, and worked out even MORE on the pill to prevent weight gain. didnt work. went off it and all the weight went away. I am not back on the pill.
  • Options
    I definitely had terrible cramps... also, It took me 3 months before I got my first period.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards