Chit Chat
Options

Fur baby rash?

Hi puppy people,

My 3 year old Yorki Poo has been nibbling at his paws and his chest.  His chest is missing some hair in one area and there are red marks in that spot, like a rash..  It's been happening for about a month now but I noticed the other night that it's gotten worse on his chest.  Has anyone experienced anything like this before with their fur baby??

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fur baby rash?

• Options
    Yep. Take him to the vet. He might have developed an allergy to grain (extremely common in dogs), or even to grass. I am not a Dr., but worked at a vets office for many years. There are simple remedies and cheap medicines to correct this, if this is what it is.

Could be boredom, allergies, stress.. A vet visit is going to tell you the most.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    Dogs can develop allergies as they age just like people. The most common is a food allergy. Your vet can recommend a new diet to see if that help and also prescribe some anti-inflammatories etc to help the rash/itchiness subside.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    A month? Sweet mercy. Of course, I'm the dog mom who panics and takes the dog same day/first appointment next morning. My fiance has had to calm me down and say 'omfg it's just his allergies, just give Bellamy some Benadryl and his eye swelling will go down in the morning like it did the last time you took him to the doctor.'

Sounds like allergies though. Bellamy's allergic to wheat and corn, so when he eats those, he loses clumps of hair, gets rashes, sneezes and scratches at his ears nonstop. We just give him allergy medication when it's allergy season (he has environmental allergies), Benadryl when he gets home from visiting my parents (he's allergic to cats) and feed him grain free food and homemade treats.

• Options
    My dog has allergies and chews on his paws.  He has white fur and the area where he chews makes the fur reddish.  My vet told me the saliva is what tints his fur.  He also gets a hotspot on his neck, related to allergies.  He scratches it until it gets raw.  I have to cover that up with a light bandage then put a sock around his neck so he can't get to it.  Vet recommends benedryl, which I give him on occasion.  But it really zones him out.
    Vet thinks it is outside allergies causing all this.  We wipe him down with diaper wipes when he comes in to try and remove as much pollen/mold as possible.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fur-baby-rash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d777bb16-9c3c-4d87-83d8-1f264b9ff2ecPost:00f7efe7-67b7-420f-860f-fc0b819960e2">Re: Fur baby rash?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dog has allergies and chews on his paws.  He has white fur and the area where he chews makes the fur reddish.  My vet told me the saliva is what tints his fur.  He also gets a hotspot on his neck, related to allergies.  He scratches it until it gets raw.  I have to cover that up with a light bandage then put a sock around his neck so he can't get to it.  Vet recommends benedryl, which I give him on occasion.  But it really zones him out. Vet thinks it is outside allergies causing all this.  We wipe him down with diaper wipes when he comes in to try and remove as much pollen/mold as possible.
    Posted by IamTheMommaOfTheBride[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't recommend covering hotspots. The reason they form is because of moisture. You want to dry it out as much as possible. Leave it uncovered if you can. Also, when you wipe him down with anything wet (or give baths, or if he is out in the rain) make sure you thoroughly dry him.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fur-baby-rash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d777bb16-9c3c-4d87-83d8-1f264b9ff2ecPost:a182aaa6-ea25-46a0-aac5-a14d6e61f3e4">Re: Fur baby rash?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A month? Sweet mercy. Of course, I'm the dog mom who panics and takes the dog same day/first appointment next morning. My fiance has had to calm me down and say 'omfg it's just his allergies, just give Bellamy some Benadryl and his eye swelling will go down in the morning like it did the last time you took him to the doctor .' Sounds like allergies though. Bellamy's allergic to wheat and corn, so when he eats those, he loses clumps of hair, gets rashes, sneezes and scratches at his ears nonstop. We just give him allergy medication when it's allergy season (he has environmental allergies), Benadryl when he gets home from visiting my parents (he's allergic to cats) and feed him grain free food and homemade treats.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

Yes I hope it's not bad that I have waited, but just walking into my vets office costs $300 here, so I was hoping it might go away!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fur-baby-rash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d777bb16-9c3c-4d87-83d8-1f264b9ff2ecPost:172b1ee6-3eb0-4f1b-8c63-1e2ae091b49c">Re: Fur baby rash?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fur baby rash? : Yes I hope it's not bad that I have waited, but just walking into my vets office costs $300 here, so I was hoping it might go away!
    Posted by Benny618[/QUOTE]

A regular office visit for us is like $75, but that's usually covered by insurance. He's also fond of getting hot spots (the Corgi, despite flea and tick medication, brings fleas in, and he's allergic to those too), and those are about $270 a pop with only about $120 paid back to us.

I feel like 75% of our vet bills are related to Bellamy only and the girls just end up needing their yearlies and that's it. Bless his sweet heart.

• Options
    So you have a mut, and live in NY, and don't have a vet you could ask for advice? If you love your pet, bring it into the vet for a visit and get it the right medication to fix the issue. I'm sure oyu have a few bucks to spend on your designer dog. After all, it IS your furbaby. Barf at that. It's a dog.
  • Options
    I really LOVE when someone has the center format wrong in their signature and don't bother to fix it, and all the follow up replies are centered because of it.LIATRIS.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_fur-baby-rash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d777bb16-9c3c-4d87-83d8-1f264b9ff2ecPost:f5968661-51f3-4c08-acda-397e4345ace5">Re: Fur baby rash?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So you have a mut, and live in NY, and don't have a vet you could ask for advice? If you love your pet, bring it into the vet for a visit and get it the right medication to fix the issue. I'm sure oyu have a few bucks to spend on your designer dog. After all, it IS your furbaby. Barf at that. It's a dog.
    Posted by FlaNYtattoogirl[/QUOTE]

Wow you are super judgy... you have no idea where I live or how I got my "designer dog"...reign it in honey, your bitterness is showing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for fixing your signature, LIATRIS.

Oh sweetie, I am not bitter. But I am not delusional to think that Yorki poo is an actual breed, when it's really a mutt (or, mixed breed) that doesn't have an official AKC name.

Under your Knot name says New York. So unless you made up a fake address for your signature, I assume you live in NY. And if you have money for a designer dog, you have money to take it to the vet when it is sick. Of course I don't know you, but you own a dog, and with that comes responsibilities, such as BRINGING IT TO THE VET WHEN IT IS SICK.

I guess I am bitter because I bring my pets to the vet when they are sick, but I don't know why that would make me bitter.
  • Options
    I never said he wasn't a mutt, I don't get why you are so angry about a mixed breed dog, or why you claim to act as if you know how much money I have.

Anyway I did bring him to the vet and he is not "sick" ....he's allergic to the dog food at my parents house, which is why it got worse after he spent a few days there.  As long as he continues to avoid it his rash will go away.

Thanks for all the helpful advice here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You waited a month to take him to the vet, and apparently only took him yesterday after posting about it. Great job of taking care of your "furbaby".
  • Options
    Ok Flany, so WW finally drove you away so now you've come to troll around CC? I'd watch it if I were you or Hoboken will ban you for harassment. There's a huge difference between having strong opinions and voicing them in an appropriate manner and raging against internet strangers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Chewing their feet releases antihistamine. He definitely has an allergy of some sort. I see this quite a bit at work from flea allergies all the way to pollen. Take a look at the dog foods ingredients and talk with your vet about Benadryl. It could be seasonal allergies. update Sorry I missed the post that said you already too him to the vet. The vet will try to upsell you some expensive food. There is better food out there that doesn't have as many "McDonald's" type fillers. Natura has a few. the ones that i found most helpful were from california natural. They have chicken/rice, lamb/rice, herring/sweet potato. Good stuff, decent price and they eat what their body needs so they eliminate less if you know what I mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards