Chit Chat
Options

Vent/Need advice (cliff notes at bottom)

My fiance and I are getting married this summer. We have been working very hard to save (I have taken on another job and we have put everything we can into our bank account instead of buying things or going out). It's very important to us to be able to pay for everything ourselves if only because we feel that it is important step for us to be able to have such a huge financial goal and meet it. So far, we are in great shape and should have no major problems paying for anything. I also like the freedom that paying for things ourselves affords us, because it means that we can have the wedding of our choosing.

It turns out that this is a good idea that we have saved so carefully because we wouldn't be able to get much help financially from our families. FI's father got audited by the IRS and owes quite a bit of money. I feel badly for their situation, and I also feel bad because I am sure that FFIL would like to contribute if he were in a different position (that's just his personality- he is a very giving person).

As a result, his father seems uncomfortable even discussing anything to do with the wedding. I have tried to include FI's mother in the planning, but she has made it clear that she is not interested. In fact, she has been pretty rude about almost every aspect of our wedding (which is probably a separate issue from the $). She criticizes the dresses, the flowers,  the food, and the venue and has not had one positive word to say. At this point, I don't even like bringing the wedding up to her because I am tired of feeling like it isn't good enough. I was trying to make sure that she felt she was included and the fact that they weren't chipping in didn't matter- the contributions of her support was enough. (Just to be clear- I never discussed money or lack thereof with them after the initial conversation that they could not help- I was just asking for her opinion because I know my mother wanted to be more included in my brother's wedding).

Basically, the problem is that FI does not want to plan much without getting his parent's' approval. He thinks that his parents may want to contribute after all, and thinks that we shouldn't plan certain aspects like the transportation or the RD because  they will want to try to find a way to pay for it and should therefore make the decisions. He doesn't want to insult them.

I don't want to wait much longer, because the places that I am looking at booking happen to fill up their dates pretty quickly. I also definitely don't want FI to ask his parents about it because I think it is incredibly unlikely that they will be looking to pay for anything and I don't want to make them feel badly about it. I feel like asking them would be tantamount to asking for money, and that the most we should do is mention our plans (i.e...hey, we were thinking of booking this restaurant- does that sound good?) and if they don't have any objections, just moving forward.

Basically, I just want everyone to have a good time, not worry about how things are getting paid for, and I just want to get a move on! This makes FI upset. How do you think I should approach this situation to create the least hurt feelings possible?

CN: We are paying for the wedding. FI's parents have said they cannot chip in, but he thinks they may change their minds and does not want to book vendors because he doesn't want to insult them. For example, if they were paying for the RD, then they should choose where it is. I want to start making deposits as I feel that they have been clear enough and I don't want to have any conversation that even remotely seems like we are asking for money.

Sorry if this was really long and convoluted!

Re: Vent/Need advice (cliff notes at bottom)

• Options
    If you have been responsible and have been saving for the wedding that the two of you want, the thought that there may be some small possibility (and from your story, it sounds rather small) of getting FIL's money contribution in the future should not stop you from booking the vendors that you want. You have been saving, it should be you and your FI's choice on where things are or what vendor you have for each area of the wedding. I know it might be hard for your FI to accept that they don't want to help or can't, but it isn't their wedding and if you put deposits down, and then they offer to help, that's great. But if they make a comment on the person/place you are using, you can politely say "We feel this person/place fits our vision best, and it was what we both wanted for the wedding. We appreciate your contribution and hope you can support us and our decisions." If they want to take their money back, so be it, but either way you will have what you wanted.
  • Options
    Good for you OP, for your wise planning.  Feel free to book your wedding.  I think your FI is being unrealistic in expecting his (now broke) parents to suddently want to contribute.

Have the wedding you planned!  Congats!
  • Options
    I would go ahead and plan what you want, if they do decide to offer some $$ then you can deal with the details then. If you already have stuff booked, it's not like you are going to have to unbook it just because they suddenly decide they want to offer some money and be part of the planning :)
  • Options
    You are on the right track.  Your FI is misguided here.  His parents have already said they won't be contributing, and they've made it pretty clear that they aren't interested in participating in the planning.  Whether it's that they just don't care or that they feel bad about the money doesn't matter.

Just plan things the way you want, and operate as if they aren't contributing.  If things change down the line, and it turns out that they are in a position to help and decide they want to, you'll be able to upgrade some other plans or put the money toward something else.  
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I guess I will just keep on planning (and probably keep more of my plans to myself). I was just worried about how to handle things with his FI, because I think he is pretty hurt about the whole thing and didn't want to make him even more upset. I guess he will just have to be ok with how things are. I'll try to get a thicker skin when it comes to his mom's comments, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards