Chit Chat
Options

Delayed HM

I have seen this on here discussed before but want to be reassured. We have to delay our HM a week because of my classes which, I know isn't a big deal, but I feel kind of sad that we won't be leaving right away. What are the pros of leaving a week after the wedding? I'm hoping it'll give us something else to look forward to instead of having the whole shebang done and over in a short period of time then having nothing to do. Of course I will have finals the week after my wedding, which.. No way to spin that into something good but I didn't expect to be in nursing school this semester. Oh well.
158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Delayed HM

• Options
    I'm having a delayed honeymoon.  Mostly because my FMIL will be staying with us for a month after (FI has a cousin getting married 3 weeks after and FILs aren't living in the US).  So the travel back & forth would have been a nightmare.  So we decided to delay the HM so that when we go, we will be relaxed & come back relaxed rather than all stressed out and have all this stuff to do.  Plus it gives us time to do all the TY notes early as well :)
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    The pros...
    1) You don't have to worry about packing for your HM the week before your wedding which can be a hectic time
    2) You will have plenty of time to open your gifts/cards and cash any checks that you may get
    3) You will have time to rest up and get rejuvanted so you won't be so exhausted on your HM
    4) Even though you have finals you may be able to squeeze in a few of those time consuming and hand cramping thank you notes so you won't have to do so many after you get back

• Options
    We went on our HM 3 weeks after the wedding. It was the best decision. There was less to worry about before the wedding and we got time to look forward to it more.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We delayed our HM a whole 6 months due to vacation time from work issues and I don't regret it a bit. We also met a few other newlyweds at the resort we were staying at who had also delayed their honeymoon a few months. So delaying the HM a week seems like no big deal at all to me.

Waiting to take a big trip definitely gave me something to look forward to once the wedding was over. We were also able to hang out with some friends and family who were still in town the day after the wedding without having to be stressed about having to catch a plane right away or pack. As previous posters mentioned we also had time to deposit all the checks we received.
  • Options
    We're only delaying our HM by four days, but I do think it has it's bonuses.  In those 4 days we can rest some, pack, open gifts, cash checks, and for us, finish moving FI in because we don't live together yet.

SaveSave
  • Options
    The week after our wedding we spent in bed - exhausted and sleeping the entire time.  We took our honeymoon over our one year anniversary and we had the energy to actually enjoy it.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    we went three months later (just got back actually). it was a great decision.  It gave us a little more time to save, after making major last minute extra spending for the wedding. So, we weren't penny pinching during the honeymoon.  And, gave us a minute to relax after the wedding, and just really look forward to the honeymoon.  We went to a hotel the night of the wedding, but went home the next day. We were glad to be in our own bed after being so tired at the wedding.
  • Options
    We've already committed to two weeks at the beach with our families this summer (which we're very much looking forward to) and FI doesn't have the vacation time left for a honeymoon. We're going to a spa/hotel about an hour from us for two days the week after the wedding. 

Everything we looked at honeymoon wise seemed like we were settling because we could afford it or because he had the time for it. We want to start TTC immediately after the wedding so depending on how fast I get pregnant, we'll either take a two year anniversary trip or a five year one. It'l be one we both really want to go on and give us the opportunity to really save and plan it right. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going on mine a month after the wedding. It saves us almost $800 by waiting. Plus I figure we will have enough stress around the wedding so this way we won't have to stress about the honeymoon too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI and I plan on doing a mini-moon for a couple of days right after, then going on our honeymoon over the summer.  It just works better with our work schedules.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FI is in law school and we might delay a real honeymoon until he's done (about 2 years). BUT our wedding is in CA and we live in DC, so spending a week in the bay area isn't exactly nada... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    FI and I are postponing our HM indefinitely, which makes me sad, but I get why we are doing it. I'll just be finishing grad school and assuming I get a job right away I won't have any vacation time so we want to wait. Our condo is also for sale and due to a lot of foreclosures in our complex bringing down the appraisal rate, when it does sell we will be losing money so we need to make sure we have money to pay both the balance on our loan and commission to our realtor.
  • Options
    FIs family will be town from Europe for a few days after the wedding so we won't leave until a few days afterward to make sure we spend some quality time and give them a good send off.  But it will be less than a week before we leave so it's cool.  We will have time to sort things out in the house before we go.
  • Options
    yup, we are delaying too. We own a business and could no way close for the wedding and honeymoon all at once. We also will have have a lot of OOT guests so want to be able to spend a few days after the wedding seeing family and friends. Right now we are planning to go a month after the wedding, but recently looking at other options we may delay 3 months and go around my birthday.  No matter when you go it will still be your "honeymoon."

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards