Chit Chat
Options

NWR- colleague back to work after baby

One of my friends and colleagues is returning to work next week from her maternity leave. I found out the date via her facebook post, which used the word "heartbroken" to describe her feelings about it. I feel like we should do something nice for her on her first day back, but not really sure how to go about it- cake? a nice card? Other thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR- colleague back to work after baby

• Options
    I think that's a really nice thought.  It won't make it any less hard to leave her baby, but I think it would be nice to return somewhere and be welcomed like that by people. 

I haven't had a baby so maybe some working moms could help, but I feel like you want to make it clear that you're happy she's back without going over the top and making it embarrassing.  I think a nice card and maybe a few treats would be nice.  Or some fresh flowers for her desk so she has something nice to look at.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-colleague-back-to-work-after-baby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:e996a94e-94c4-400b-a41b-db0367974279Post:880ac044-685f-490d-a9b9-0daa72b99cc4">Re: NWR- colleague back to work after baby</a>:
    [QUOTE]What do you do for all the other mothers returning from maternity leave? If you as a friend want to get her a card go ahead but don't set a precedent for your company to do things for all returning mothers unless they approve.  Keep in mind if you do something for one you'll have to do it for all.  Most mothers are probably at least a little sad when their maternity leave ends.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

This is also true.  I didn't think of this.

• Options
    J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Maybe if you DO do something, in order to avoid hurting feelings or setting precedents, you (or you and a couple of her other friends that's she closest to there) can do something a bit more privately for her.

• Options
    PP's have good ideas, maybe if you are close, something like a frame for a picture of the baby if she has a desk area to keep it would be nice. I have a pic of our kiddo on my studio monitor and it alwways brightens things if the day gets stressful. I agree not to get the whole office invloved and make a production about it.
  • Options
    That's a great idea! I'm fortunate enough to spend most of the day with my little one although I'm not sure how it's going to work out after the 2nd one this summer. Emotions run amok even after you give birth so she'll need some time to adjust being away, but planning something nice will help to keep her mind off the baby for a bit. Good luck!
  • Options
    I wouldn't do a cake. I like the idea of flowers or a picture frame. 

I was a mess the first day back to work after maternity leave. Part of the reason I'm a SAHM now. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    To avoid hurt feelings around the office (by other moms); you can just take her out to lunch and buy her a card with a small flower bouquet or Stage's edible arrangement idea was also good.

One of my co-workers was on medical leave for 2 weeks and when she came back, I bought her flowers and balloons. It really made her day. It's nice to know people actually care.
  • Options
    I think whatever you decide to get her (the ideas of a nice card, an edible arrangement, some cupcakes, flowers, etc are all great ideas) I would get into work early and place them on her desk.  I wouldn't make a big fuss out of it.

Also, if there is a group of you that are close you can all take her out to lunch.

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately we work at a hospital so she doesn't have her own desk/cubicle/office, and there's no such thing as going out to lunch. I'm thinking a card plus or minus flowers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards