Chit Chat
Options

Graduating from college...

So I'm graduating from college and and my parents are throwing me a graduation party. I really didn't want to have a party because I am getting married next March. I felt like my guests would think I was just trying to find a way to get more money. Am I over thinking it? I am proud of my accomplishment and do want to celebrate. I just feel wierd because my wedding is coming up too.

Re: Graduating from college...

• Options
    I agree. Even though they are years apart, I was able to have a lovely graduation, and I will have a lovely wedding. It is normal to have celebrations for both! Congrats!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_graduating-from-college?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:f192a685-83ec-4be7-b225-09cf0608d228Post:44653bc5-25ca-4dcd-88f9-aa2c7658eb70">Graduating from college...</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I'm graduating from college and and my parents are throwing me a graduation party. I really didn't want to have a party because I am getting married next March.<strong> I felt like my guests would think I was just trying to find a way to get more money.</strong> Am I over thinking it? I am proud of my accomplishment and do want to celebrate. I just feel wierd because my wedding is coming up too.
    Posted by One3402[/QUOTE]

I think its fine to celebrate both.

I dont understand the bolded part? Are guests expected to give you money at a graduation party?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_graduating-from-college?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:f192a685-83ec-4be7-b225-09cf0608d228Post:b7dd3c65-975a-4eb8-bbc0-e287db8b607d">Re: Graduating from college...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Graduating from college... : I think its fine to celebrate both. I dont understand the bolded part? Are guests expected to give you money at a graduation party?
    Posted by RailWayWife[/QUOTE]

This may be a regional/social circle thing, but cash gifts are really, really common at graduation parties where I live, so I'm guessing it's the same for OP.

OP, it's fine to celebrate both - it's not like you're having your grad party one weekend and then your wedding the next.  Your parents are throwing you a grad party, and then you're getting married nearly a year later.  It's completely fine to celebrate both of these events.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Don't worry about it.  Where I'm from, cash gifts and gifts in general are really common for graduation parties.  But the two things are far enough apart to where no one will think you're being gift-grabby.  Graduation deserves a party in my opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    You are totally fine with two parties. I am graduating college May 11th, my birthday is May 22nd, and I am getting married June 23rd. Of course the only person who will (potentially) give me money for all three is my father. And i dont expect them to give me anything for graduation but my parents are big on what we do for one child we do for all three and i know they did something for my sister when she graduated. Your situation could be worse!!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards