Chit Chat

MRI

2»

Re: MRI

• I don't have any MRI advice as I have never had one, but good luck tomorrow and I think it will go very well, especially if you use some of the techniques the ladies have listed here. I hope you get some answers for your headaches; that must be really scary.

I also would look for a new neurologist. For the longest time I hated my primary care doctor. She had no bedside manner, was rude and condescending, and just overall not good. I stuck with her longer than I probably should have. I finally realized I was paying her for her services and didn't need to put up with her crap and I found a much better one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • edited January 2013
    I have chronic headaches due to a sleeping disorder, and have had all sorts of MRIs to make sure I don't have aliens in my brain. It's gotten to the point where I actually fall alseep in the machines. My advice is to of course close your eyes, like others have said. Other things you can do for distraction is count the thumps of the machine, like sheep jumping the fence. It's very rythmical and soothing, and gives you something to focus on that isn't the space. Also, most of them give you a mirror to look at that aims outside of the unit, so you can see outside. If you feel hemmed in, you can look at the outside world to calm down. And always, ALWAYS keep in mind that you are 100 percent in control. If you need it to pause, they'll pause and pull you out. Nobody is there to force you, its your show. They'll even pipe into your headphones at several points and ask you if you are doing alright. It always wakes me up and disorients me, lol. You can do this, aint no thing!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Just got home from the MRI! I kept my eyes shut and had them put a towel over them and didnt open them once so I never saw the tube around me. The noises scared me more than anything. Some of them I was able to turn into a song kind of but there was one that I flinched every time I heard it. They gave me a ball to squeeze if I needed to get out. The woman could tell I was nervous lol, but I managed to keep control and picture myself just laying on an open table and not inside of a tube. Unfortunately they didnt allow music, but I don't think I would've heard it anyway. All the advice was wonderful ladies, THANK YOU! TP that everything comes back normal please... Oh and I did find a new neurologist, we have an appt Feb 8th. Thank goodness.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LizM61409LizM61409 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    1. Tricyclic antidepressants like elavil CAN be effective for chronic pain including headaches. It has nothing to do with whether you're depressed. I agree that your doctor should have spent more time explaining this and answering your questions though!

2. Agree with closing your eyes and trying to take a nap. And remember the MRI machine is specifically designed to have a person pass through and come out fine, unlike caves or other small spaces that claustrophobic folks tend not to like. Also, bring a book or something to distract yourself while you're in the waiting room beforehand.

3. The MRI is a huge magnet, that means no metal allowed. If you wear a bra without an underwire and pants without any metal such as yoga pants, they'll prolly let you stay in your own clothes instead of putting the hospital gown on. And leave your jewelry at home

ETA: didn't read page 2, thought you hadn't had it yet! Glad it went well
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • my stepsister use to have to get MRI's done a lot (she had a lot of head trauma as child) and she would freak out completely.

ask about a very light sedation.. it helped her out a lot.. it took her off the edge and they could get what they needed...

i hope everything's okay. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards