Chit Chat

Moving Overseas

Hey everyone!

H and I are planning to move to Europe (Estonia hopefully) from Canada and are beginning the process of gathering tips and info.  We're planning on moving in about 4 years (so that we will qualify for our Old Age Security benefits later in life) so we're not in a rush and nothing is set in stone or anything. Does anyone have any advice in terms of adjusting to life in a new country?  We're also planning on going back to Ireland for at least a month before getting to Estonia and backpacking around Europe for a couple months before settling in the Baltic region.  I know a lot is going to change economically in the next four years and I'm not looking to make any concrete plans any time soon I'm just trying to collect some travel tips.

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Moving Overseas

• I would start by visiting the Canadain Embassy of Estonia webiste (or something of that nature) to read about the local culture, etc. That will help give you and idea of what life is like there.

Also, what language do they speak? Have you started learning that language? Have you thought about what you will do for work there/researched what papers you need to legally work?
    Anniversary
  • They speak Estonian.  It's a lot like Finnish. Both H and I are starting to learn it (wow is it difficult...).  It's probably going to take the next 4 years to get a good grasp of basic conversation.

I've already researched the legal immigration stuff - a lot can change between now and when we actually get there but I will keep on top of all news on that topic.

I'm more or less looking for personal travel stories, or tips I guess. The longest amount of time I've spent outside of Canada has been the month I spent in South Africa so I'd like to hear what it's been like for others to adjust to living in a new country
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Try paging SnippyLynn, she hangs out on the Etiquette board mostly. She's lived in Italy and is in Sweden now.
    Anniversary
  • The hardest part, IMO is adjusting to the language, slang, and getting/keeping your papers in order. I'm moving from the USA to England after my nikah (wedding) and that's kind of difficult so far. The worst though is the visa work. I'd definitely get some kind of attorney to help you tackle that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards