Chit Chat
Options

Buying a home

I like to lurk on the home buying board on TN, but it moves kind of slow so I get impatient. H and I just put an offer on a house and it was accepted. It seems pretty great, fully updated and well maintained. The inspection is scheduled for next week and then assuming all goes well, we'll be closing and moving by the end of this month. Any homeowners have any advice or words of wisdom for me? This is our first home and while I am trying to be informed and proactive about things, I'm sure there's plenty I don't know. Any success stories, horror stories or just tips on things to think about or questions to ask would be appreciated.
Peggy

Re: Buying a home

• Options
    I would just say even if you have an inspection to go through and lift the rugs up in the bathroom, turn on all the faucets and let them run for awhile, along with the outside spikets (since its almost summer they should be open), and that the sprinklers have been blown open and work.... Just talking from buying/selling experience.  Thins that should have been checked and weren't
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    MrsBee11MrsBee11 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Thanks MilkDuds, it sucks the first few didn't work out. I'm really hoping it works out. I'm trying not to get my hopes up about it, but I just have a good feeling about it. I know that seems silly. But it doesn't happen too often so I'll take it!

Amber, luckily the inspector takes a look at all of the water pressure and leaks, plus there are no rugs in the bathrooms. We're even paying a little extra to have the water tested and well as radon exposure to be on the safe side.

Did anyone have to do an appraisal and have the deal fall through because of it?
    Peggy
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_buying-a-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fc9d4dab-f5a9-4be3-9a30-25babe4a90dbPost:66da4bb5-0a31-4088-9f22-338fb485e9f4">Re: Buying a home</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks MilkDuds, it sucks the first few didn't work out. I'm really hoping it works out. I'm trying not to get my hopes up about it, but I just have a good feeling about it. I know that seems silly. But it doesn't happen too often so I'll take it! Amber, luckily the inspector takes a look at all of the water pressure and leaks, plus there are no rugs in the bathrooms. We're even paying a little extra to have the water tested and well as radon exposure to be on the safe side. Did anyone have to do an appraisal and have the deal fall through because of it?
    Posted by MrsBee11[/QUOTE]
    We did an FHA loan, and we had to have 2 inspections and 2 appraisals. <div>Luckily, our appraisals came back WAY above what the asking price was. </div><div>
    </div><div>ILs though just bought a house, and it appraised for less than they were asking. I believe the seller just made up the difference in price though.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_buying-a-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fc9d4dab-f5a9-4be3-9a30-25babe4a90dbPost:cf8698c3-4bbb-400b-a071-70fea6c1f6f3">Re: Buying a home</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just say <strong>even if you have an inspection to go through and lift the rugs up in the bathroom</strong>, <strong>turn on all the faucets</strong> and let them run for awhile, along with the outside spikets (since its almost summer they should be open), and that the sprinklers have been blown open and work.... Just talking from buying/selling experience.  Thins that should have been checked and weren't
    Posted by amber0389[/QUOTE]

i agree with this! when we bought our house, the girl that sold it to us was a firend of the family and pointed out a few small flaws and said i just want to be completely honest with you guys, so we trusted her.
       After moving it we started realizing so much more was wrong, and really regret not checking <strong>EVERYTHING </strong>ourselves.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The next few weeks could be frustrating, hang in there!  I hope everything goes well for you :)  Also, strongly suggest you get a pest inspection on top of the home inspection - we found bugs and our inspection came with a 1 year warranty - they've already come out and sprayed THREE times for us for free! :)
  • Options
    Be sure you have an inspector you trust.  Ditto checking for pests, including mice, etc.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Make sure you get a good inspector!  Also, if he says there are any issues, if you want to move forward on the house, get quotes from contractors for actual estimates on the cost to fix it and work that into the price of the house.  One of my friends bought a house where the inspector told them they might have needed to re-do a portion of the roof, which might be around $5K.  They had a roofer come out and give them an estimate and found that the entire roof needed to be replaced for $20K.  If they hadn't gotten that quote, they would have immediately been sunk by $15K
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We've owned this house for over 5 years and from day one we had issues. It was built for us, so brand new when we moved in and just under 6 years old. SInce you aren't building, not sure exactly what advice to give you on buying except what I have seen on TV shows.  Get a good inspecter.  You just never know what can be wrong, go wrong and what will go wrong by looking.  And Good luck.  Finally almost 6 years living here, we're fixing up all the minor issues.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_buying-a-home?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:fc9d4dab-f5a9-4be3-9a30-25babe4a90dbPost:79f57aa3-bab6-4b33-9af4-13e80caebfe2">Re: Buying a home</a>:
    [QUOTE]The next few weeks could be frustrating, hang in there!  I hope everything goes well for you :)  Also, strongly suggest you get a pest inspection on top of the home inspection - we found bugs and our inspection came with a 1 year warranty - they've already come out and sprayed THREE times for us for free! :)
    Posted by Jinxed329[/QUOTE]

The inspector we have has pest inspection included, thankfully. He also offers a warranty which gives extra peace of mind. I'm glad that ended up working out for you. Having an insect or vermin infestation is almost worse to me than finding we need to replace a boiler or something.
    Peggy
  • Options
    Thank you all for the tips and well wishes. I always heard people talking about how intense or stressful this process can be but you never quite understand until you're in the middle of it. I'm excited and overwhelmed at the same time.

I think we have a very good inspector. He has a lot of experience, is certified in just about everything you can be certified for and came highly recommended by our real estate agent. So all that's left is to see what happens.  : )
    Peggy
  • Options
    The biggest thing I would say is to have a real estate lawyer throughout the process, if you don't already.  Ours was a lifesaver.  We actually had a number of things go wrong both before and after closing, so I'm not sure what we would have done without her.  Similarly, you want her to look over all your paperwork because you don't want to get screwed because you didn't see or understand something.  I've heard of that happening to more people than you would imagine.
  • Options
    Ditto on the real estate lawyer. We bought our house two years ago and have actually had to sell it already in order to relocate for FH's job. Our lawyer found a $1100 mistake in the math on the contract and found that the 15 days we had to move out after close had been switched to 7! (we got that fixed, move out friday) Those contracts can be VERY overwhelming to read. If you don't go with a lawyer, ask to see the contract a day or two before close so you can read over the ENTIRE thing before hand and not be stuck in a tiny room reading over it all. Good luck! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards