Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Ivory Dress. Groom's Tux Shirt Color?

Hello,
My dress is ivory, and my wedding coordinator warned that my groom's tux shirt should also be ivory (the color of the tux itself will be black with a black bowtie).  She warned that if he goes with a white tux shirt, it will clash with my ivory dress.  

However, my groom is adamant that he wants a stark white shirt to have the classic tux look.

Any thoughts?  I don't want to clash, but want my groom to be happy with what he's wearing.  

Re: Ivory Dress. Groom's Tux Shirt Color?

• Options
    sorry groom.... an ivory shirt is very close to white, it won't really change the look of his tux at all I don't think.

I agree with the wedding planner it should be ivory that way in pictures your dress won't look slightly dirty next to him and during the day in general.

I understand how thats tough. I hope you two can decide on something and be happy with your choice! all the best!
  • Options
    Have you been to the tux shop to look at the shirts?  I got the same advice (my dress is somewhere between white and ivory) and I hated the idea at first.  We also wanted the classic tux look, but the ivory at Men's Wearhouse is really pale and you can barely tell a difference so that is what we went with.  I think it will look better with an ivory dress.  On the Men's wearhouse website they have a Build-a-tux feature.  It might help.
  • Options
    Actually, most of the ivory shirts I've seen are quite dark.  Lots of girls here have had ivory dresses with white shirts.  All you see of the shirt is the cuffs and collar anyway.  My gown is ivory, FI's shirt is white.  Let the man wear what he wants, it won't clash.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I agree with aerin--the ivories I've seen are kind of dark.  This all depends on how ivory your dress is.  In pictures, your groom is wearing a coat, vest, tie, etc., so it isn't as though there is a ton of shirt showing.
  • Options

I'm wearing ivory and FI is wearing a white shirt, black tux, ivory vest/tie.  I personally didn't care for the ivory shirt and thought it looked too yellow.  I don't think you can ever go wrong with classic white.  As PP said, very little of the shirt will actually show in pictures.

I suggest that you and your FI go take a look at the colors in person and decide what's best for you!  GL

• Options
    Actually, I think ivory shirts are really dark as well. Not to mention, who is to say that the ivory shirt will match your ivory dress? There are many different shades of ivory. Your groom is absolutely 100% correct - let him wear white.

Please see my signature photo - white shirt, ivory dress.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ivory-dress-grooms-tux-shirt-color?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:00358c2d-1c28-40ba-b4d9-9c8b09e93e9cPost:929e7af4-4a35-4479-a768-90f2907850aa">Re: Ivory Dress. Groom's Tux Shirt Color?</a>:
    [QUOTE]sorry groom.... an ivory shirt is very close to white, it won't really change the look of his tux at all I don't think. I agree with the wedding planner it should be ivory that way in pictures your dress won't look slightly dirty next to him and during the day in general. I understand how thats tough. I hope you two can decide on something and be happy with your choice! all the best!
    Posted by joanoffrance[/QUOTE]

A dress is huge - it won't look dirty. However, just hints of shirt sticking out from under a jacket will look off.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    What about a white shirt w/ ivory vest/tie combo? My FI and I both preferred the white shirt but were still thinking of going with ivory vest/tie since my dress is ivory. Anyone ever done this combo? How did it work out? TIA!

Finally Married!
  • Options
    My dress is ivory and FI is wearing a white shirt. The ivory shirts the tux shop had looked dirty and WAY too dark. It was not pretty.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  This helps a lot.  I have a swatch of color from my dress that I will have my groom take with him.  I'm leaning toward letting him wear white, but we'll see what the ivory in the tux shop looks like.  Thanks again!
  • Options
    I had the same problem with the ivory shirts at Mens Wearhouse...the shirt used with the bow tie is the "right color ivory" but the one used with a regular tie is...HORRIBLE!!! I couldn't believe how dirty it looked - the sales lady said that is the reaction all brides give her. They actually gave us a deal and we bought the "right color ivory" shirts at retail (part of the GM gift) - GL though - I think a lot of ppl are shocked at the different shades of ivory that are out there!
  • Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2010
    My husband and all his groomsmen wore the ivory shirts from Men's Wearhouse with the regular ties and it looked great... not dark or dirty at all. :)

Then again, I didn't see them until the wedding day so I didn't have anything to compare it to... but it definitely looked great, even against the stark white snow that was still on the ground from the Feb. 10 blizzard.

• Options
    I say white DEFINITELY. I've seen so many ivory shirts which just look dingy or gross.  I think a classic tux should have a white shirt. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards