New Hampshire
Options

NWR - Cat Advice (long)

You ladies were amazing for wedding planning, so I'm sure someone will have some advice for me! We found out about a month and a half ago that my adult cat Rocky has cancer in his saliva glands. It since we started putting him through tests the main tumor has gotten bigger and 2 other tumors have appeared and grown. He was in a cone to keep him from opening the biopsy site for about 3 weeks. He is now out of the cone and healed, but now him and my younger cat don't get along. He only leaves the spare room if I pick him up and bring him somewhere, and then once he's there he won't leave unless we move him. Now he's barely eating on top of everything. I've been force feeding him wet food through a syringe, but I just don't feel it's right. He is drinking water, but not nearly as much as usual..I guess my question is, how long do I let it go, before it's the right time to let him go? He's nowhere near the cat he was before we took him in to get the lump tested. Thanks ladies for any advice you've got!

Re: NWR - Cat Advice (long)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry you're going through this.  I've been fortunate that I've never had to decide to put a cat down (our family pets just die in our home).  But a close friend of mine (who is one of the best pet moms you can imagine and provides all the best care available for her pets) recently had to put two pets down.She used their eating as a guide.  She said if they weren't enjoying there food then she decided their quality of life was pretty low and she didn't want to keep them around for her own piece of mind.  Obviously, defer to your vet and ultimately only you can make the decision, but if his quality of life isn't improving - it may be time to consider it.((Hugs))
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not the right person to answer this. I have 4 furrbabies and I would be devestated to be in the postion you are. Hugs I know you'll make the right choice. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI's brother has had his cat for about 10 years, and  he was recently diagnosed with cancer, and was behaving the way your Rocky is.  It wasn't looking good, the vet thought he'd only make it a few weeks.  They prescribed steroids and the cat is back to normal - although, it's clearly always a matter of time with cancer.  This all happened back in February, I believe, and Tigger is still going strong this much later.  It may be worth it to look into that avenue before you make this big decision quite yet.  I know FI's brother was as lost as you must feel now, and this option worked for him, so far.  You're in my thoughts.  This sucks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I am so sorry! I think the other girls have given you excellent advice. I know when our family cat started to go downhill after being diagnosed with diabetes, we did everything for him. We gave him the shots and basically spoon-fed him. We decided after a week of doing that, if he wasn't going to die on his own within the week, we would put him down. He must have overheard us because he died the next day. You've done so much for him and loved him with all your heart. If you believe he is suffering, contact your vet and see what they recommend. *Hugs*
  • Options
    Starfish724Starfish724 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry that your kitty is not doing so well. I can only imagine how you must feel, if my kitties got sick I would just be beside myself. The only advice I can give you is to go with your instincts. I've had to put two cats down in my lifetime and it was so hard both times. They came to a point where they just weren't enjoying themselves at all anymore. Hardly eating, not playing, etc. It was better to put them down then to watch them suffer any longer. ((hugs))
  • Options
    Steffy3217Steffy3217 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the support ladies. We couldn't get into the vet today, so we have an appointment on Tuesday. Until then we'll keep doing what we've been doing. Hopefully the vet has some advice or something!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards