Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Shoe color after Labor Day?

So, I have a pair of shoes that I had picked out for my wedding. They're orange Melissa+Vivienne Westwood Lady Dragons, and I do love them. Both my grandmother and my mom hate them and think they look "cheap." While I realize that, yes, this is my wedding, and yes, they are my feet, I'm now wondering about going with something a little more classic. I'm thinking of wearing the orange ones at the RD and my grandmother (who did pay for my dress) has offered to pay for some new shoes. She is partial to something that is ivory to match my dress (Casablana 2051 with the top of 2004).  While she isn't being too insistent, she and her opinion are very important to me and she's not really given too much input on any other aspect of the wedding. 

Here's the question, are ivory shoes after Labor Day a really bad idea? Anyone else get married after Labor Day and wear white or ivory bridal shoes? Did anyone say anything to you?

Re: Shoe color after Labor Day?

• Options
    I don't think, for weddings, that it is even an issue. I think that 'white after labor day' rule is fading away anyways.
    I don't think anyone will think twice, and it would make your grandmother very happy.
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Do people still care about wearing white after Labor Day?  This is a complete non-issue.
  • Options
    I've only ever heard of 'no white after Labor Day' in movies, and even then, it seemed ridiculously stupid.

But to answer your question since you asked, yes, I wore white bridal shoes in my November wedding, and no, no one said anything about it (again, because it's ridiculously stupid).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I didn't even give that "rule" a thought. I just ordered my ivory shoes for my October wedding.

I don't know if I looked at the right shoe but the lady dragons look like rubber. Yea, I would go with classic and save the lady dragons for the RD. The dress you chose is beautiful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So...  you're only allowed to wear white on Labor Day? Huh?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..."

Harry on Sirus to the Dursleys. HP Prisoner of Azkaban
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_shoe-color-after-labor-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:02e35d16-d7b6-4fa7-8bf5-ea293ba72c29Post:5ad3494c-4ffe-4de5-8092-0eb0589db583">Shoe color after Labor Day?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Here's the question, are ivory shoes after Labor Day a really bad idea? Anyone else get married after Labor Day and wear white or ivory bridal shoes? Did anyone say anything to you?Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

Ivory shoes for a wedding are fine, any day of the year.  I assume, though, that you don't really want to wear them; you don't need the "no white after Labor Day" rule to rationalize sticking with your orange shoes.  Wear what makes you happy!
  • Options
    divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_shoe-color-after-labor-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:02e35d16-d7b6-4fa7-8bf5-ea293ba72c29Post:5ebafe59-daae-475f-ab86-9fcd933a74e7">Re: Shoe color after Labor Day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So...  you're only allowed to wear white on Labor Day? Huh?
    Posted by Britoz[/QUOTE]

<div>It's a pretty old tradition in rules of dress that you aren't supposed to wear white shoes after Labor Day or before Easter. Weird, I know, but, especially in the South it's still something people go by. I still wouldn't think of wearing a pair of white shoes during that time except in this specific instance. It's just ingrained. The other few pairs of shoes I started looking at and am in love with are ivory or champagne, so they might technically skirt the white rule, but, even if I get them I won't re-wear them in the winter. </div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE]I didn't even give that "rule" a thought. I just ordered my ivory shoes for my October wedding. I don't know if I looked at the right shoe but the lady dragons look like rubber. Yea, I would go with classic and save the lady dragons for the RD. The dress you chose is beautiful.
    Posted by nychica636[/QUOTE]
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you for the dress compliment. :) Yes, they are rubber, and they smell like bubble-gum. They're really cool, but I had them before I really even dress shopped. The dress is a lot more conventional  and elaborate than what I thought I might get, but it looks perfect. I just think it needs different shoes. </div><div>
    </div><div>As I've seen a few pairs I really like I'm becoming less attached to the orange shoes. I can always change into them later  (we're changing and continuing the party) or just wear them to the RD. I love them, but I don't know that they suit the dress and I'm more than willing to have another pair of shoes. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_shoe-color-after-labor-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:02e35d16-d7b6-4fa7-8bf5-ea293ba72c29Post:8b12b12c-b4a7-439e-8768-7ea422a0af76">Re: Shoe color after Labor Day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Thank you for the dress compliment. :) Yes, they are rubber, and they smell like bubble-gum. They're really cool, but I had them before I really even dress shopped. The dress is a lot more conventional  and elaborate than what I thought I might get, but it looks perfect. I just think it needs different shoes.  As I've seen a few pairs I really like I'm becoming less attached to the orange shoes. I can always change into them later  (we're changing and continuing the party) or just wear them to the RD. I love them, but I don't know that they suit the dress and I'm more than willing to have another pair of shoes. 
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

That's cool that they smell like bubble gum! What will they think of next? LOL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the only time people saw my feet were when my MOH helped me put them on, when my photographer asked me to lift my dress to take a photo of them, and when I took them off.  I think you are overthinking this one, whether it is the white or orange ones =]

Maybe wear the orange ones until your feet hurt enough to switch to flats?  And maybe buy a nice pair of "traditional" ivory flats?

FWIW, from what I've seen lately colored wedding shoes seem to be more of the norm these days anyways.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm wearing ivory shoes in November. They match my gown, so it wont be silly at all. I think that rule mostly goes for springy/summery white capri pants, and light airy skirts. I wouldn't think twice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I kinda love the Lady Dragons, but they're not really my style. But if they're yours you should run with it, especially if you've got a classic dress. Unless it's really short, people won't really see your shoes much, and it'll be a fun, cheeky twist for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards