Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

wedding dress in november......

im gettting married in the middle on november next year. In west virginia. Ive never been there myself but my fiance says its really cold. i always wanted to get married under a huge oak tree. outdoors, with tents for the reception. and i really like strapless dresses. is there any tips out there from someone to help me find some kind of compromise?

Re: wedding dress in november......

• Options
    I'm in new hampshire so it's a lot colder here then in Virginia but you could always have pashminas or a fur wrap to cover up. I would find out what the average temperature is for that time of year before planning a tented/outdoor wedding. Some guests (elderly or not) will not want to be out in the cold weather like we have here so do some research first.
  • Options
    I also haven't been to West Virginia but I think your best option is a fur wrap, bolero, or pashmina.  And pantyhose.  And long dresses for your BMs. 

If you keep the ceremony short (<15 min), and warn people it is an outdoor ceremony it's not unreasonable to do it outdoors.  Just make sure people know so that they can bring their coats/mitts/scarves/whatever they need to keep warm, and have food and drinks waiting for them as soon as the ceremony is over.
  • Options
    Ditto pp. I am from Ohio and know that W Va. can be similar to Ohio in November. I would definitely do a pashima, fur wrap, shawl, something along those lines for you. And for the BM's I would do long dresses and then also do wraps for them as well. If it happens to be a warmer November, then you may not need them, but better to be safe than freezing your butt off. You can always either use them for a different event or sell them after the wedding.
  • Options
    I think you could do a short ceremony outdoors, but I would definitely do an indoor reception.  Even with space heaters, it will be very uncomfortable for guests to be in a tented reception in November, and I guarentee you they will leave early. My wedding is next November as well...in Arizona, and I still think it's too chilly at night to do an outdoor reception.

As for your attire for the ceremony, I think a fur pashmina would be nice and sufficient for a shorter ceremony.
    Anniversary
  • Options

I'd definitely vote against a tented reception in mid-November--that would be too cold for me.  I wouldn't do a ceremony outside either, but like PP said, if it was short, that might be okay.  Just remember that guests will be out there longer than you will and my dressy clothes aren't particularly warm.

For you, I'd probably wear a cute bolero for a look that's neater than a pashmina.  A fur (faux or real) would also be nice. 

• Options
    November is a time of unpredictable weather.  Plan for an outdoor ceremony, but make sure you have a back-up indoor ceremony spot in case.  Definitely have an indoor reception. 

Congratulations!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Stary indoors, but go with the strapless.  I got married in December and wore a strapless with no problems.  If you want the outdoor feel, perhaps find someplace that can give you that - a lodge, or someplace in a wooded setting?
  • Options
    I'd say have the wedding indoors and find a nice tree to take your pictures under later.  I've been to WV in November and it can be too cold to be outside for that long.  I was there for my father in law's funeral in early November, and the trees were already bare, so most likely there won't be any pretty leaves for you. 
  • Options
    FAUX FUR PLEASE!!!! Don't be a murder just for your wedding :)
    Photobucket
  • Options

A friend just went to a wedding in North Carolina in early November.  She said it was HORRIBLE having the ceremony outside (it was only 15 minutes but you had to get seats, wait for it to start, file out, etc- which adds up to more like 20-30 min).  I can imagine West Virginia can get a lot colder.

If you're going to do it, realize you may have some angry guests, and make sure to really warn them.  It was not told to my friend ahead of time so they were not at all prepared!

• Options
    Don't do it outside. 

According to a quick google search the average high is about 50 degrees and the average low is about 35 in WV in November.  That's cold!  Guests will want to show off their party clothes; not hide under coats and outerwear. 

PP who suggested doing pictures under a tree makes a very good point. You'll still get the pictures and the look you've envisioned and the guests can remain comfortably inside. 

• Options

That oak tree will probably be beautiful in early October if you could move the wedding and I don't think uncomfortable due to weather. 

I'm a little confused as to your exact plan, but my wedding was actually in a tent in December in New Jersey.  Fortunately, it was a very nice night; two days later it was brutally cold with snow flurries.  I have no reason to believe anyone was uncomfortable because the propane heater was very efficient. 

We tented a garden area of a bed and breakfast just for the extra space.  Guests were moving in and out all evening, and one guest said he went to the tented area where it was cooler; the inn with guests and both fireplaces going was a bit warm even for December. 

I do want to emphasize that we tented a walled garden, which had only one open side; we weren't actually outside and it was a small area so the propane heater kept the area comfortably warm even for women in cocktail dresses.    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards