Attire & Accessories Forum

Usher attire at a casual wedding

My Fiance & his groomsmen will be wearing long sleeve button up shirts, kackis, & matching ties. He has chosen seperate ushers. Any ideas what they could wear? Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Usher attire at a casual wedding

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_usher-attire-at-a-casual-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:03c51237-6129-4ffd-9921-f1dfb2540814Post:f9800081-e5f5-4119-8a7c-30f03591ce0c">Re:Usher attire at a casual wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I think unless you are paying for their attire, you should just let the ushers wear whatever they would normally wear as a guest. Renting or buying specific clothes for a wedding that you aren't even in the WP for sucks.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>This.   It sounds like you're having a pretty casual wedding; it'd be inappropriate to ask the ushers to get something specific to wear.  I can understand asking them to get tuxes for a very formal wedding (and then including them in the RD, getting them a WP gift, etc), but it just doesn't seem necessary in this case. </div>
  • Will they be included in pictures? If so, then have them dress like the other guys. If the are ushers, they are still "in the wedding". And look at it this way -- If at the last minute a groomsman drops out, you have someone dressed to take his place!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_usher-attire-at-a-casual-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:03c51237-6129-4ffd-9921-f1dfb2540814Post:71c75027-df40-405e-8a22-a4c7b2d4c409">Re: Usher attire at a casual wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Will they be included in pictures? If so, then have them dress like the other guys. If the are ushers, they are still "in the wedding". And look at it this way -- If at the last minute a groomsman drops out, <strong>you have someone dressed to take his place!</strong>
    Posted by ttatum35[/QUOTE]

<div>No. You never replace anyone in the WP. If they drop out, so be it, they won't be in the wedding. But to replace them implies that they are replacable and the replacement will feel like the second choice they are.</div>
  • becky659becky659 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I personally would ask if they could wear khaki pants and maybe a certain color polo/button-up, if you'd like them to match.  Most guys have that combo in their closet anyway, and if they don't, wal-mart can easily provide for about ten bucks. 

Depending on how many ushers you have, I'd probably offer to buy their shirts if they can bring their own pants... BYOP haha.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_usher-attire-at-a-casual-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:03c51237-6129-4ffd-9921-f1dfb2540814Post:92707ec1-94f7-443f-b478-9f887a843cb8">Re: Usher attire at a casual wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]<font color="#800000"><strong>In Response to Re: Usher attire at a casual wedding : No. You never replace anyone in the WP. If they drop out, so be it, they won't be in the wedding. But to replace them implies that they are replacable and the replacement will feel like the second choice they are.
    Posted by artbyallie</strong></font>[/QUOTE]

<font color="#0000ff"><strong>Emergencies happen all of the time. Ushers ARE part of the wedding party, they just do not stand down front. Dressing them like the groomsmen allows you to maintain the symmetry of pictures, if, god-forbid, an emergency requires that a groomsman is not able, at the last minute, to stand with the bride and groom. As long as the ushers understand that they may be conscripted to stand in -- what's the problem? Besides that, a picture that involves everyone will look better if all of the guys are dressed the same. Since there are no labels in pictures, people viewing the wedding pictures don't know who is a groomsman and who is an usher.
    </strong></font>
  • Because the wedding is casual, that doesn't necessarily mean that the bride is going the cheap route.  She didn't say anything about the guys being poor, but instead she asked about style.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_usher-attire-at-a-casual-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:03c51237-6129-4ffd-9921-f1dfb2540814Post:4b8704c6-4905-4ec4-8873-3622c7be2d65">Re: Usher attire at a casual wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Usher attire at a casual wedding : Emergencies happen all of the time. Ushers ARE part of the wedding party, they just do not stand down front. Dressing them like the groomsmen allows you to maintain the symmetry of pictures, if, god-forbid, an emergency requires that a groomsman is not able, at the last minute, to stand with the bride and groom. As long as the ushers understand that they may be conscripted to stand in -- what's the problem? Besides that, a picture that involves everyone will look better if all of the guys are dressed the same. Since there are no labels in pictures, people viewing the wedding pictures don't know who is a groomsman and who is an usher.
    Posted by ttatum35[/QUOTE]

<div>But they're PEOPLE, not props. Symmetry is completely irrelevant. Plenty of people have uneven wedding parties these days and I can guarantee you I don't look at my pictures and count heads or weigh bride v. groom ratios. I see my friends and family. Oh, and none of our bridesmaids or groomsmen or ushers wore the exact same outfit, but our pictures still look beautiful because we're all so happy in them.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards