Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

When to begin alterations?

So, the wedding isn't for a year and a half, but I found the PERFECT dress. FMIL's friend owns the shop, so I got a tip off that she's doing a sample sale in two weeks, which includes my perfect dress, that happens to be REALLY close to my size (I was planning on slimming down a bit anyways...). I took it as a sign, called FMIL, and arraged for her to pick up the dress for me (we live out of state). YAY!

Now... Since the wedding is so far off, and I started dress shopping so early, I have no idea when I should be looking for a seamstress to do the alterations. How long does it typically take to raise a hem and take in a bodice? What should I look for in a good seamstress?

Google searches have been helpful, but I'm wondering what everyone else has to contribute! Thanks!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: When to begin alterations?

• Options
    I'd say do your research to find a good seamstress now.  Take the dress to her as soon as you have it so she knows what she'll be working with.  If for some reason she cannot work with the dress you'll know you need to start looking for another seamstress now.  I'd find out how long they'd expect the alterations to take and adjust your timing from there.  Perhaps one month from your wedding date I'd have the alterations done if it's nothing major.
  • Options
    If you need alterations, please check with us, Toast and strawberries inwash,DC.  we've done alterations [and make dresses from scratch for over 20 years.
    We can do estimates over the telphone, etc. Call us 202 723-1707, 9-5pm.  Our work is done in Georgetown.

Congrats and best wishes!1
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_begin-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:06a5fdf7-32d9-48bf-bfed-12c64199aa0ePost:a80db514-762d-4c7f-94f2-43335c93b710">Re: When to begin alterations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you need alterations, please check with us, Toast and strawberries inwash,DC.  we've done alterations [and make dresses from scratch for over 20 years. We can do estimates over the telphone, etc. Call us 202 723-1707, 9-5pm.  Our work is done in Georgetown. Congrats and best wishes!1
    Posted by rosemary reed[/QUOTE]

Vendors are not allowed to post here.
  • Options
    As for your question, you could start interviewing seamstresses at anytime. But I wouldn't book anything until about 4-6 months before your wedding.
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It doesn't take a year to alter a dress.

My dress came in by late March.  I started alterations at the beginning of April (took three weeks) and I had my dress by April 29th.  Wedding was on May 5th.  I had my bust taken in, dress hemmed, crinoline added, cups sewn in and a twenty point bustle added.  <--- pretty normal

If you alter it too soon, you are just asking for trouble because you'll have to stay the say size until the wedding.

I'd find a seamstress in the last three months.  Even my sister's gown, which had to be completely taken apart and re-sewn, was done in three weeks.  Alterations don't take months and months.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_begin-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:06a5fdf7-32d9-48bf-bfed-12c64199aa0ePost:70720d5c-276a-4b5a-980f-d9592e4be5fe">Re: When to begin alterations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It doesn't take a year to alter a dress. My dress came in by late March.  I started alterations at the beginning of April (took three weeks) and I had my dress by April 29th.  Wedding was on May 5th.  I had my bust taken in, dress hemmed, crinoline added, cups sewn in and a twenty point bustle added.  <--- pretty normal If you alter it too soon, you are just asking for trouble because you'll have to stay the say size until the wedding. <strong>I'd find a seamstress in the last three months</strong>.  Even my sister's gown, which had to be completely taken apart and re-sewn, was done in three weeks.  <strong>Alterations don't take months and months.
    </strong>Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

This. My wedding is in February and my alterations aren't for another two weeks, giving them a month, and letting me have it in my hands 2 weeks before my wedding.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_begin-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:06a5fdf7-32d9-48bf-bfed-12c64199aa0ePost:a80db514-762d-4c7f-94f2-43335c93b710">Re: When to begin alterations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you need alterations, please check with us, Toast and strawberries inwash,DC.  we've done alterations [and make dresses from scratch for over 20 years. We can do estimates over the telphone, etc. Call us 202 723-1707, 9-5pm.  Our work is done in Georgetown. Congrats and best wishes!1

FIrst of all vendors are not allowed to post here so you've been reported. Second of all why the hell would someone who lives in Milwaukee go to DC for alterations?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay for finding a good deal on your dream dress!  If you are getting bridal portraits taken don't forget you will need your dress altered before then and then possibly double checked closer to your wedding.  Long story, but I had my bridals taken in November for my April wedding.  I figured to give the seamstress a month to do the alterations (hem and take in bodice) and another few weeks in case anything needed to be touched up (which it did).  I called in mid-August and was advised that I needed to get right in because the seamstress was about to go home to Honduras for a month!  So I was glad I called early.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is in 11 months, and I just tried on my ebay dress today. I need to take it to a seamstress this week to make sure the alterations are doable, otherwise I'll return the dress, but it's good to have this for when I actually want to do the alterations. Thanks, all!
  • Options
    Keep in mind that if your dress is made in a really complicated way, it may take longer for alterations. 
    I would find a place now, tell them your date and ask when they suggest you bring your dress in.
    In my opinion, 3 months seems a little close...I'd go with 5-6 months but I'm a worrier :)
  • Options
    It makes sense to start alteratons about 3-4 weeks before the wedding.  your weight should be right.

We at toast and Strawberries can give you estimates, chat about the problems,etc. over the telephone.

We have over 20 years of experience.
    Give us a call 202 723 1707.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_begin-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:06a5fdf7-32d9-48bf-bfed-12c64199aa0ePost:1b87e6e5-ceb5-410e-aa29-99a0518a9fb3">Re: When to begin alterations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It makes sense to start alteratons about 3-4 weeks before the wedding.  your weight should be right. We at toast and Strawberries can give you estimates, chat about the problems,etc. over the telephone. We have over 20 years of experience. Give us a call 202 723 1707.

Go away vendor. I reported you AGAIN!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards