New Hampshire
Options

Registry question

Hi everyone,I'm not sure if I'm too early but I'm thinking about registry stuff already (I'm getting married 9/10).  My FI and I really don't want to do a registry, unfortunatly we're not financially ready to buy a house yet and our apartment is just about all set with anything we need for now.  How do you go about letting guests know that if they would like to give you a gift, you would like cash instead?  I want to be polite about it but I'd hate to see a guest buy a gift we never use!  My poor mother is old school and can't see us without a registry either, is there a way to register for a few small items for older guests more used to this tradition?Thank you!

Re: Registry question

• Options
    ddumireddumire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can't really tell people directly.  You can register for a few items including gift cards.  I'm sure you could find someway to store items that you'll want for the future.  You can mention to a people if they ask and have your mom tell people who ask her that you're saving for a down payment on a house etc.
  • Options
    AmyLou09AmyLou09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP word of mouth is best but not coming from you, that's tacky.  Tell your parents if their friends/family ask them that you would prefer money to put towards a home.  Then I would register for a few things that you may need once you get a bigger place or upgrade some of your older items!  We live in an apartment too and a bunch of the stuff that we registered for just doesnt fit so it's currently in our kitchen closet and I take a few things out when I need them (ie: crockpot, serving bowls, etc).  If you dont make a registry people (especially older people) are going to buy you things anyways except they will probably be things you don't want or doesnt match with your decor.  You're better off at least registering for some things to lead them in the right direction!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were in the same boat, had an apt. full of stuff that was good but my Mom thought it would have been rude to tell people we'd prefer money. So, we "sucked it up" and registered. Now I'm really happy that we did because I was able to get some really pretty things. Think about things you wouldn't normally buy yourself: new curtains, wall pictures/home decor, throw pillows, fresh new sheets & towels are always a nice to replace. You can also register for a really nice vacuum or register at Target for electronics (new camera for the honeymoon???) Try and think outside of the box because like Amy said, people are going to buy you gifts regardless so take the plunge and register for gifts that you'd like to receive rather than random stuff. You can also register through travel agents for honeymoon, some photographers have registries and you could register at a furniture store too! Have fun with it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd wait to register...  we were pushed to do it too early, by my overzealous MOH, and most of our stuff went on clearance and sold out before we ever had a shower.  Now I can't get all the cool stuff I literally designed our dining room around.  Have someone else spread the word (by word of mouth only) about preferring $ over gifts, but DEFINITELY register.  You can ALWAYS upgrade your current stuff.  The way things worked out for us was we had 2 tiny showers (with some overlapping of guests, even), so everyone else (probably 75% of our guests) had NO CLUE where we registered, so we ended up getting lots of cash/checks as a result.  Unfortunately, we also got a lot of very random, very very random gifts. 
  • Options
    MrsWilson0611MrsWilson0611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Candi on the honeymoon registry!  Take a luxurious trip to somewhere that you never would have paid for on your own - so much more priceless than home items that you already have.
  • Options
    jesse1328jesse1328 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha this may seem totally tacky, but I used to work at Bed Bath and Beyond so I learned the tricks there...  Their registry program allows brides to return any items purchased off their registry for cash back.  (no gift receipt needed, no store credits, nothing).  So if you HAD to register somewhere but really weren't thrilled about it, you could always pick Bed Bath and Beyond to register for a few things and then anything you really don't want, return for cash anyways.  Haha like I said, sort of a sneaky way to do it, but something to keep in mind if you are going to register but don't really want to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards