Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

love/hate my dress

sometimes i love my dress, sometimes i hate it! i'm not small girl so right from the get go finding something flatter was the most important thing. I'm definately more traditional or offbeat bride and not trendy at all. but sometimes i think my dress is just plain ugly. i chose it because it was the most flatter on me - sometimes i think the sleeves are great they stream line my really chuncky upper arms, other times i think they are so ugly and 80's. sorta feel the same way about the reembroiderd lace on it - sometimes i think its pretty and sometimes ugly and told mature/old fashioned and not in the good way. here is the dress from the online pic w/ short sleeves: [IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/cynasmin/Dress1.jpg[/IMG] and two w/ me in it. [IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/cynasmin/IMG_0903.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g214/cynasmin/IMG_0902.jpg[/IMG] wedding is like 12 days away so clearly this is what i'm going with. I did decide that my hair needs to be more swept to the side in the front and i think that will help w/ my overall satifaction w/ my wedding day look as well as makeup. ugg.....atleast i feel good when i'm wearing the dress even if i don't like it sometimes.
BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: love/hate my dress

• Options
    No the dress is beautiful and also beautiful on you!  I love the sleeves and the back (hard to see the front w/the flowers).  I have never seen sleeves done so beautifully - not 80's at all!  And the greatest thing is that you feel good in it!
  • Options
    if you are concerned about your arms i would remove the sleeves or better yet cap them and/or wear a stole. You look beautiful in it either way.
    Definition of WEDDING 1: a marriage ceremony usually with its accompanying festivities : nuptials 2: an act, process, or instance of joining in close association 3: a wedding anniversary or its celebration! Hence a 2nd wedding forum isn't JUST for ppl getting married again! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    for my arm shape unfortunaltly cap sleeves are the worst! i actually have the short sleeves to this dress and my arms look better in the full sleeve. i'm the kinda girl that needs short sleeves to go almost to the elbow. my shoulders and back are broad and then w/ the thick arms longer sleeves are best. good idea thought! i do have a wrap thing, i have one what is ivory and one that is brown. my girls dresses are brown and they have ivory wraps (incase its cold, out door wedding) maybe i'll like the brown wrap. w/ it i'll have to try that out.   This am i am feeling a bit better. even its its not most stylish dress it is very flattering on me - which was the most important thing....plus all the hip and stylish dresses I didn't like.
  • Options
    thanks for easing my mind about it being 80's. :)
  • Options
    My sister wore this dress (the sleeveless version) for her wedding a few years ago and the photos do not do it justice!  She is built similar to you and received nothing but compliments all day.  The train is gorgeous and the neckline is really flattering.  It is a classic dress--not 80's at all!  You look great--enjoy your day!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    ya i'm thinking it more classic than 80shttp://www.fashion-era.com/Weddings/1984_old_wedding_photos.htm the 80's ones have very poofy sleeves and the V at the waste. and netting/tulle over the otherwise open part of the neckline  
  • Options
    Definitely classic (not 80s!), and I think the shape is really pretty and flattering. It looks great on you! Don't stress. I also like the short-sleeved (actual sleeves, not caps) version in the photos, so you could always have it altered quickly if you're nervous about the long sleeves? Either way, I'm sure everyone feels like this leading up to the wedding (or at least I know I will!), it's just your mind playing tricks on you.
  • Options
    thank you all for your feedback. i'm feeling so much better. i just decided to go w/ the long sleeves two weeks ago at the tailors after deciding they looked better on my arms than the short. i sometimes have problems where short sleeves ride up. so i think i'm just going to be more comfortable/not worrying about it in the long. they aren't full lenght all the way and the angle in and they ride up a bit too and my guess they will end up at 3/4 for most of the day. normally this is the type of stuff my fi is great as helping me with but he doesn't know anything about the dress and i'm trying to keep it that way. certainly not the first thing i had a love hate thing w/ in my planning - did it w/ my e-ring, my shoes (4 times!) and my tiara/headband. the e-ring and dress i stuck w/ the shoes and tiara i changed but that was because i fell in love w/ something else.
  • Options
    I agree, definitely not 80s!I've not started shopping yet and I'm plus sized but I've already decided I'm going to get the dress I LOVE not necessarily the prettiest plus sized or most flattering (although that will probably contribute to me loving it). The way I see it is, all the people at my wedding know me, they love me and they know I'm not skinny. My fiance loves me the way I am so why worry if my arms look flabby? They've all seen my arms, you know?Not to say I don't want to be gorgeous and breathtaking on my wedding day but I am also not going to obsess if I look chunky cause, frankly, I'm chunky!:)P.S. I may change my tune when I start dress shopping ;)
  • Options
    i hear ya! for me i think i've found some things make me look good and are flattering while some are not. and even though isome tthings they just don't flatter my body. certainly doesn't hide a flaw but does make its not worse than it already is. i tried on this one dress that was pleated at the waist like. i loved that dress but the pleats were in the wrong spot for me. it made my already wide hips seem enormous to me. but thats how i am w/ my daily cloths too. fit and silohouette have become more important to me pretty much anything else. so hard to choose a dress that fits your venue your personality and your body! and still love it :/ i'm happy w/ loving mine most of the time. oh ya and my price was really really right so that helped sway the decisions because its only 5hrs of my life!
  • Options
    The dress is gorgeous and definitely not 80s, old, or ugly! Plus, it is super flattering on your shape and I actually really like the sleeves!! You made a great choice on your gown!!
  • Options
    i don't think it is 80's it is just a very traditional dress. 
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards