New Hampshire
Options

Average for a 3 tier cake?

Just wondering what some you ladies are finding is the average for a 3 tier cake? Nothing too over the top...just want to see what the average is out there before I start looking so I can have something to compare it too. We are probably looking at Fredericks Pastries and Jacques. We are trying to figure out if we should do the package or find our own vendors so any responses are helpful, thanks :) 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Average for a 3 tier cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting our cake through Jacques.  Our cake came included in our package, but there was one that Jacques made that we fell in love with, so we decided to pay extra to upgrade it.  We have a 3 tier cake that looks like a birch tree with a bunch of sugar work on it.  They charged us a $150 upgrade fee. That was all we paid because the rest came with the package.  If we didn't decide to do that then we wouldn't have paid anything.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    amanda489amanda489 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Court!
    We called Jaques yesterday to see average and they said for classic 3 teir was about $450. They also recommended to do a smaller cake then have a sheet cake in the back that they would serve to your guest to save some money =)
    Hope you are having fun planning!!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting this cake from Jacques, but only 3 tiers with a side cake in the back, which is for 165 guests. Cake flavor is plain white/tradition (special flavors cost more) and fillings we chose were raspberry and amaretto (which I dont think cost any more). We will also be using monogram topper instead and our colors of course. Total cost of cake and delivery is $585 which we found to be the best deal for what we wanted. Definitely make a lot of cake tasting appointments, they're so fun :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Both Jacques and Fredericks are very good...but expect to pay big $$$.  Their cakes START at around $4-5 per serving and go up from there depending upon the cake design.

FI didn't like them though--thought that their frosting tasted "too buttery".  So we ended up going with another baker, (in MA), who has a much lighter frosting that isn't as heavy and sweet.  Her prices were less expensive--about $3.50 per serving.

Although many of the bakers will deliver--I advise that you check out bakers that are fairly close to your venue, esp. if the wedding is when the weather is warm, (don't want the cake travelling far in a hot automobile).

September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
  • Options
    courtyAcourtyA member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amanda! So funny to see you on here! 
    Thanks ladies for all the advice, just knowing the average is helpful! I def don't want to miss those cake tastings Tongue out
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got a three tier from Jacques.  We figured it on 50 people and then had a sheet cake in the back for the rest.  The only difference in size between the one we got and for 100 is the diameter.  It literally saved us a few hundred dollars.  We paid around 300 I believe
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Lilac++Lilac++ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got our wedding cake from Fredericks. It was $4 per slice and that included the flowers, the ribbon on each tier and a simple design in white (the linked hearts). We found other places like to charge extra for those things, whereas they are included in Frederick's base price of $4/slice. I absolutely loved our cake. It was so yummy and looked amazing. We chose to have it half white almond pound cake with rasp. filling and the other half a four layer combo of: white almond pound cake, raspberry filling, chocolate cake, fudge filling, chocolate cake, raspberry filling, white almond pound cake. Buttercream frosting on the whole thing. Mmmmm I want to break into the freezer and eat our top tier right now :)

Total cost: $320 + $90 delivery fee (served 85 people with a whole bunch left over that was great at our brunch the next day!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My two favorite cats!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    singing_lynsinging_lyn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked at Eva's Bakery in Troy, NH and for a 4 tier cake that serves 150 her price is $560 with a $25 delivery charge. For a 3 tier cake that serves 100 her price is $480. She said that we should get the one that serves 150 since that's how many guests we're going to have, but I know bakers always say the cakes serve a lot less than they actually do so we might go with the smaller 3 tier one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • Options
    beckles403beckles403 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $480 from Jacques to feed 110 people. "Special" flavors included in that price. Almond, Carrot, etc. Also, fresh hydgrangeas included. Honestly I thought their pricing was EXTREMELY reasonable... and their customer service was fantastic. I felt like I was sitting with family when discussing our cake. They laughed with us, asked us how we met, etc. It was really nice.
    ~Rebecca~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    luvgsdluvgsd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! I wish I'd been a member of The Knot when I got married a couple of years ago! You all are so helpful to each other!! I'm helping my SIL plan her wedding and hope you all don't mind if I search your boards for recommendations. :-)  I recently left a review for my baker on Wedding Channel and saw that it was somehow connected to Knot, so I ended up here.

My cake was from Cakes 5th Avenue in Pelham, and was a 3 tier for 150 for $487.50 not including dlvry.  We went with a fresh lemon cake with strawberry preserve filling.  We really liked the one on one approach and totally felt like I was chatting with a friend over coffee. I'd recommend them to anyone!

Best of luck to the OP with your cake tastings! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards