Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Miserable wedding dress experinces

Dress shopping sucks...I'm a bride who wears a size 12 and helf the dresses I like I can't even get on or I get them on and you can't even zip them...how can you order a dress when you can't see an accurate idea of the fit.  Why must they make wedding dress samples in size 2's or 5/6's

Re: Miserable wedding dress experinces

• Options
    this seems unusual...how many places have you gone? the sizes of samples everywhere I have gone so far are in the 10, 12, 14 range...maybe it was just the place? often times you can get an idea of what a dress is going to look like (for the most part) even if you can't zip it completely but I totally understand your frustration. The first time I went shopping I tried on one dress that I couldn't get on and that was a little irritating..I would definitely recommend trying different places because from my understanding most places don't carry 2's and 6's for samples...good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm a street 10-12. I found some samples were tiny, others were close to my size.What style are you looking for? I found that corseted dresses were easier to try (many can be ordered as a zipper too). GL!
  • Options
    Let me change that... others WERE my size!
  • Options
    Unless you're 5'8" and wear a dress size of 10-12 you're gonna have this kind of a problem.  If they order dresses too big, they'll swim so much on the little girls that they won't get an accurate idea of what the dress looks like.  If they order samples too small, larger girls won't be able to fit into them.  But, dress shops have to pay for the dresses themselves, and it's just too expensive to carry the same dress in multiple sizes.  So they split the difference and go with something average and in the middle.  I know it's frustrating, I just don't know how else to do it.
  • Options
    Have you tried David's Bridal?  They have lots of different sizes to try on, then you could try on styles you like, and could purchase elsewhere if you wanted.Dress Sizing is weird though...@ David's I was a 0 and the dress I ordered (not DB but MS) was a 6...and I could have gone with an 8
  • Options
    I have a small figure and it is also very hard for me to try on dresses. I went to Demetrios because I love their dresses, but the sample sizes were size 10. In fact the only size 2's or 4's that I've found were at David's Bridal, and none of their gowns really worked for me. I am very stuck on dresses. I have found a shop locally that can order dresses for me try on that are very close to my size, but it will cost $40 per dress to get a sample try-on, and it will still probably be a size or two too big. chasegl- I don't know if you'll read this, but I looked at your dresses that you are trying to chose from. I really loved dress #2! It was very figure flattering and the shimmer of the material was beautiful!
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • Options
    CHASEGL - I also looked at your dresses..Gorgeous.  Both of them.  I went to a wedding last month and the bride wore your #2 dress.  She looked great!  If you want to see pics of another person in your dress email me and I'll send you a couple pics. lindseymsantos at yahoo dot com
  • Options
    i had the opposite problem. all of the samples were huge!
  • Options
    shopping for a dress is no fun I was in the same boat...I agree that the corsett dresses are better. That is what I purchased but I didn't get to use it. Beautiful Maggie Sottero Valencia dress its a size 16 though so probably would need altering... if you would like to see it let me know otherwise good luck!
  • Options
    CHASEGL -- I know this is not your post but WOW on dress #1.  If you're still undecided, my vote goes to that one. Haha.
  • Options
    I feel your pain!  I am short and well endowed with a small waist, everything looked odd on me.  I went to an upscale salon and they used these industrial clips to hold the dress closed on me so I could get an idea of what it looked liked.  It was a bit humiliating.  The other salon I went to I had some of the same problems, but I also found dresses that fit me perfectly, other than being like 2 feet too long!  Davids Bridal is a good idea to get an idea of styles that look good on you, and then go from there.  I think dress designers are just a little bit mean.  I am a street size 6, but my wedding dress is a 10.  You would think that they would make them run big so you could have a smaller number on your wedding day!
  • Options
    Add me to the list of those who feel your pain! I am a street size 8, but my dress was ordered in a 16! Here's why: The sample dress was a size 12 ( a very small size 12!), from Enzoani, who I learned, tend to run small on their sizing. I could get in on, and could get the back zipped, but it was just too tight, so we let the back out and clipped it so I could walk and breathe to go out and show my Mom!! Then when I was measured, my measurements were 38-30-39 &1/2. According to the dress maker's sizing chart, I would fit their size 14...but I was still concerned that if I gained even 5 lbs or so, that the dress when it came back may "just" fit or be tight, so I erred on the side of caution and ordered it in a 16... But I do hear ya! I understand why they order one sample size, and that you can't please everyone, but sheesh!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LOL - thanks for the replies ladies.  I am still undecided, but it's getting doesn to the ordering wire and I have to order this week.  Must. choose. somehow.
  • Options
    Ask your local board to suggest some salons that carry larger samples.
  • Options
    This isn't encouraging to me at all. I'm very much a plus sized bride, and looking for a coloured dress to boot. I have a very little bit of waist and am "well endowed" in more places than I want to be. I'm finding it hard to get up the bravery for the embarrassing dress shopping, as I'm not looking forward to seeing how little stuff might look good on me...
  • Options
    I had the complete opposite problem trying on dresses. All of the samples in the store I went to were 10s, 12s, and 14s. The smallest sample I tried on was a 6 and that was still too big. I definitely agree that it can be hard to get an accurate idea when the dresses don't fit you. I would do what pp suggested; go to your local board and ask which stores carry larger sample sizes.:)
  • Options
    This is exactly why I'm terrified to go dress shopping. My weight is a huge issue for me and I simply cannot imagine myself shopping at this size - I frustrate very easily when shopping for normal clothes, so dress shopping would be disastrous.On top of that my mother and sister just moved thousands of kilometers away, so I can't even count on them to make me feel better about it while shopping. It's going to be ages before I work up the courage to go dress shopping, even though I'm absolutely itching to go now. :-/Good luck! I hope you find something you love..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards