April 2012 Weddings

Opinions on Inviting Distant Family Members/Old friends?

This relates to my FMIL Drama post, but I figured it deserved its own thread, since other people might be wondering this too!

Should you invite a bunch of cousins/family you've never really been close with? Same goes for old friends?

My FMIL is insisting that we invite her 2 brothers, which is no problem. She assured me they will come. She is also insisting we invite their children (whom Scott is not close with) and their stepchildren, as well as their young/er (8-18) children (Scott has met them all once). These cousins all pretty much live in VA and probably won't come. They don't really know Scott and certainly don't know me. 

My grandma thinks that inviting too many people you aren't close with but are family makes you seem gift hungry. She feels that just because your family doesn't make it all fine and dandy if you aren't close. While I certainly don't expect them to come or send a gift, she says we just shouldn't even send an invite because they will just toss it. But FMIL says if we don't send an invite, they will feel left out and gossip.

So I'm torn. Should I send an invite to be polite, but waste the paper if they don't come and risk looking gift grabby since we aren't close, or not invite them and risk looking bad for leaving them out but saving paper? I really don't want to invite them, because I don't want a lot of people there who don't have a vested interest in our future. 

If they want to plan a family reunion, that'd be great. I just don't think our wedding is the place for it!  I don't want to step on her toes, and I'd like to make things as wonderful for everyone as I can, but she can't have her way with everything. We're all going to have to compromise. 
April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards