New Hampshire
Options

September or October, that is the?

Hi ladies,

So I was all set for the date of our wedding but everyone is telling me it might be too cold then.... October 15th. I hear what they are saying considering this is New England but I really want to soak up the right time of the Foliage.

Having thought about it and not wanting to chance it being cold or rainy or not have enough color, I am considering bumping it up to September 10th with hopes that we still have warm weather and the Fall colors are coming through.

What do you guys think? We are getting married in the Lebanon area.

Thanks!! Undecided
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: September or October, that is the?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    October 15 is right around Columbus Day. It's usually not too bad. I don't think you'll have enough colors coming through in mid-September. They usually don't pop until mid-October.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got married October 11th, 2009.  it was a surprisingly warm day - it's still early enough to catch a few great days.  I was afraid the leaves would have turned too much by then too, but it was perfect - although that's probalby due to the crappy summer weather we had last year...
    Regardless of what day you pick, there's always a chance of cold or rain...  it's New England. 
    I say, go with the day YOU want, and don't worry about the weather.  Your day will be beautiful because it's your wedding day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chayer makes a very good point! We are getting married in July we could have rain and cold. After last summer, you just never know.  Good luck with your decision! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think October will be fine.  I agree with PP that the colors are usually better in October anyway.  Good luck!
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think that if your goal is pretty fall colors that oc is a better bet--with that said, weaather might be worse then, but for the last couple of years it has been perfect.  good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing an August wedding and the one thing you can't control is the weather.  I say pick the date that you want.  After all, it is your big day!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the ladies - the leaves will likely be better in October and you might have a HOT day - you never know. Let's not forget that last Wednesday was 80 flipping degrees out. Nothing is sacred in NH. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got married October 3, 2009 and it rained the whole day.  Every day that week before Saturday was beautiful and so was the week after.  Its always going to be a crap shoot no matter what time of year.  The colors were still beautiful that day and we got some nice outside shots with umbrellas, etc.  I think if your goal is to get fall foliage then go for October.
  • Options
    MrsScotty1011MrsScotty1011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Lesson #1 here, Everyone has an opinion! Has to be my biggest pet peeve so far out of wedding planning. Just had to point that out :-P

I think if you are aiming for color, October is a better option. I will also say, we wanted some color, but wanted a better chance with warmer weather, so we opted for the end of September. Could it snow on our wedding day... of course! It's all a gamble. You can only control so much. I say, go with the date you want and plan accordingly. That's all that is in your hands :-) Let us know what you decide.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married October 15th this year, so if you pick that date, I'm crossing my fingers for good weather!

I think it will be totally fine. We're having an outdoor ceremony and everything, so I wouldn't worry too much! There won't be much foliage at all in September (we looked into it, do a quick Google search on NH foliage) so if that is what you want, you want October :)
  • Options
    EDK2010EDK2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say October will definitely give you better color! I always wanted a fall wedding but because of my DH's profession March made the most sense! We got married on the 27th and it was about 40 degrees and sunny, to be honest it was fine even to take photos outside, just a little chilly. My MOH got married in August and it was a hurricane, so I guess you can never win with weather!
    TTC #1 Since July 2011
    BFP #1 2/28/12- 3/3/12 CP at 4w3d
    BFP #2 4/1/12- 5/7/12 Missed M/C at 8w4d (measuring 6w3d)
    TTC on hold until December
  • Options
    siriuscielsiriusciel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts and ideas, it really does help. I think I finally have decided to go with what I want and not so much about what other people's opinions are. It is my day and if I want to chance it in October with 80 degree's or snow, I know what I am getting into.. plus, you just never know the weather is going to be like no matter what date you pick like many of you said. In the end, it will be me and my FI with the memories.. so October it is!!! :)

Thanks again everyone.. and best of luck with your continued planning. I know we will all need insight from each other from time to time on here and I really appreciate all the feedback! :)

EDK, you look gorgeous in your pictures and it looks like you had an amazing day... Congrats!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You will get the best color in October.  The place I'm getting married said everyone has put off their weddings until Sept/Oct for that reason.  I actually wanted Oct. myself, but my FBIL's anniversary at the same cermony site was in Oct so I decided 9/18 to avoid the guff I would get.

It was actually decent the day in Oct and it was outside, I wore a sleeveless dress, plus your guests should just plan on typical fall weather and bring a sweater.

GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards