Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

HELP! Cocktail attire for my husband

So my husband and I are from South Dakota where weddings are VERY casual.  We are going to my cousins wedding in Seattle this weekend and the invitation said that we should wear cocktail attire.  I really hate to buy a suit jacket for one occasion, is this really necessary?  Could he get by in a blue shirt and tie or maybe a black shirt and tie with black pants?  TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: HELP! Cocktail attire for my husband

• Options
    I'd suggest calling your cousin and find out what they mean by cocktail attire.. everyone has a different idea of what that means.
    for me a Black shirt and tie with nice dress pants would do it for me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

i'm not sure i'd bother your cousin w/ this since she's probably pretty busy.  do you know any of the other guests that are attending?  what are they wearing? 

i think a shirt and tie should be fine.  does your H not have a suit at all?  he could wear a suit and bring a tie just in case.

• Options
    Thanks ladies.  I didn't want to bother my cousin with something so silly and all the other guests I know are the rest of the family from SD, who are equally as stumped on the attire.  HAHA!  I think I will just buy him a black shirt to wear with his tie and dress pants, at least he'll have other chances to wear this again and if everyone else is wearing black suits, he won't stick out so bad.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In our circle, "cocktail attire" would definitely entail a sport coat or suit. I would have your FI wear the black shirt, pants, and tie, and take a sport coat/suit jacket in case he needs it. "Cocktail attire" is a fairly vague term, and can mean several different levels of formality depending upon location, circle of people, etc.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    yes...i agree w/ PP.  if i saw "Cocktail Attire" - i would have FI wear a suit minus a tie...but i'd bring one of his ties just in case.  i live in San Francisco - which i think its pretty comparable to Seattle.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i agree with pp, but to me, cocktail means the man wears at least a sportcoat.
    and i'm in seattle!
  • Options
    TheCranberryTheCranberry member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I'm in NYC, and cocktail attire means sport coat here too.  A nice look would be a suit with no tie (bring it just in case).  Are you really set on doing the black on black shirt/pant combo?  If he doesn't want the suit look he could wear dress pants with a coordinating jacket not in the same color.  I just don't love the black shirt black pants combo.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards