Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Taller than my groom?

Hello ladies! I have one year left until my wedding and finding wedding shoes will be the death of me. I am 5'7 and my fiance is 5'9 or 5'10(on a good day) and at first, he was not super happy about me being taller than him on our wedding day. He then said it doesn't matter and he just wants me to get whatever shoe I feel the most beautiful in. I have looked at both flats and heels and it seems that all the shoes I fall in love with are 4 inch heels. What are your opinions about being taller than your man at the altar? His mom made a good point saying that I could wear heels at the ceremony and change to flats at the reception. I also wear heels out regularly and it doesn't bother me that I am taller than him then, so not sure why I am worried about being taller at our wedding. I just sometimes worry what other people think before myself and I don't want to look awkward in pics, but how come all the tall heels are so darn cute? ;)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Taller than my groom?

• Options
    Do you often wear heels when you go out together? He knows how tall you are and should accept that. It's not like that's something that will ever change.
  • Options
    I'm 5'10 and FI is 6'0.. I'm wearing ballet flats but it's simply a personal choice!

Honestly, I'd try to take what you both want into account. 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat on this one. I'm about 5'6 and my fiance is 5'8 or so. I LOVE wearing tall heels, it usually doesn't bother him, sometimes he'll say "you're towering over me". I personally, don't want to be taller than him when we're standing at the alter. So my love for heels will just have to be pushed aside. I'm not a normal flat shoe person, but I will be on that day so that we can both be comfortable. But go with whatever you both feel comfortable with:)
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I was in my wedding shoes for ten hours.  I wore flats and I was very comfortable in my shoes.  If I had been in 4" heels for that period, I would have either sprained an ankle or taken off the shoes.   There are gorgeous flats out there too.  I bought twelve pairs of beautiful flats in my search for the right shoes. 
  • Options
    If you still have a year, don't sweat it too much.  That's plenty of time for new styles to come out or your shoe priorities to change.

I have the opposite problem, with myself at 5'2 and the groom 6'1, it will be awkward to dance with him if I don't add a little height. FWIW, I think the absolute cutest of wedding shoes is those little vintage-y kitten heels-- but have back problems that flare with heels so I'll probably be in flats.
  • Options
    I'll be taller than my groom unless he's the one wearing heels.

That being said, i'm wearing complete flats to mitigate the height difference as much as possible.  It isn't weird for him to reach up to kiss me when i'm wearing giant heels on a normal day, but for our wedding?  I don't want the picture to look like that, you know?

I love heels too, but the thought never entered my mind to wear them for the wedding.
  • Options
    I am an inch shorter than my FI and am choosing to wear flats.

You on the other hand seem to be in love with the heels, If I were you I would wear the heels and change into flats latter. that way you get to wear the shoes you love and your feet wont be killing you by the end of the night
  • Options
    peachykdpeachykd member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    FI and I are the same height. I'm wearing heels for my bridals and I feel that'll be enough. Definitely flats on the day of! Your FI can look into getting Lift Kits (google them) and its little wedges that slip in his shoes. A lot of celebrity men wear them. My FI has them and is going to wear them.
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012

Wear what you want, but definitely remember that 4 inch heels might be pretty uncomfortable.  I'm 5'10" and my H is 5'8" -  I wore flats, although he would have been fine if I had worn heels because I wear them when we go out all the time.  My feet were still pretty sore by the end of the night so I can't imagine what they would have felt like if I'd been in heels...

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I'm 2-3 inches taller than my fiance, and though heels are often the more attractive shoes, I am definitely going with flats for his sake (it IS his day too!) and because I would like to avoid being miserable by the end of the reception because I've been in these shoes for 10 hours.  Go with what is agreeable for both you and your fiance...don't ignore his feelings!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love this seller! http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrystalSlipper?ref=seller_info  Beatiful flats!
    Two Drifters Off To See The World...
  • Options
    I don't understand how I am being self-absorbed. I care more about what other people think than I do. I know it's not my own day, but both of our day. I was just asking what other people thought. Don't comment if you're going to be a piece of crap. My fiance doesn't care what  I wear and thinks I am beautiful no matter what. After reading, I am going to just keep on the hunt and stick to flats. I know I will find some that will make me eyes shine!!!! Thank you for everyone else leaving HELPFUL comments. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think anyone was in the least bit rude in their responses. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_taller-than-my-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:13efc9f7-7a56-41b2-acf1-11080228c3f3Post:78488fd4-978d-477d-a60f-7819ec58a6cb">Re: Taller than my groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand how I am being self-absorbed. I care more about what other people think than I do. I know it's not my own day, but both of our day. I was just asking what other people thought. <strong>Don't comment if you're going to be a piece of crap.</strong> My fiance doesn't care what  I wear and thinks I am beautiful no matter what. After reading, I am going to just keep on the hunt and stick to flats. I know I will find some that will make me eyes shine!!!! Thank you for everyone else leaving HELPFUL comments. :)
    Posted by ashamaly345[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, that was way ruder than anything anyone said to you.  How about if you don't be a nasty cow?</div>
  • Options
    I hate even posting on this website because you get dumb people like you that fight over the internet. All I did was ask a question and I am not being a nasty cow. Some dumb lady told me I was being self-absorbed. How could she say that? She knows nothing about me. I don't even know how half of you are engaged/married when you're all so immature. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_taller-than-my-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:13efc9f7-7a56-41b2-acf1-11080228c3f3Post:79b92660-6930-4512-a209-88016589ffa6">Re: Taller than my groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<font color="#ff00ff">I hate even posting on this website because you get dumb people like you that fight over the internet.</font> All I did was ask a question and I am not being a nasty cow. <font color="#ff00ff">Some dumb lady told</font> me I was being self-absorbed. How could she say that? She knows nothing about me. <font color="#ff00ff">I don't even know how half of you are engaged/married</font> when you're all so immature. 
    Posted by ashamaly345[/QUOTE]

I think these statements are immature. If you don't like posting please feel free to leave. But honestly, there are better ways to respond to something you don't like then name calling and insulting people's ages/maturity.
  • Options
    Oh shut up you weird looking alien. I've done a few posts and only a few people really help. I am going to weddingbee, they have open arms there. See ya!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow. That's all I can say. I am taller than my FI and was coming to leave some advice but the hypocrisy of the author calling posters "immature" got the best of me. Good luck with wedding planning and that attitude towards others!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    thanks, horseface! ^
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards