New Hampshire
Options

Recently Engaged/ New To The Knot/ Advice?

Hello All,
I have decided to join the knot after realizing how much of a resource it is.  I just got engaged and already feel overwhelmed with the planning.  I booked my venue, DJ and videographer.  I am still searching for a photographer, dress and just about everything else.

I would appreciate any advice you could give as i am new to these boards and to wedding planning.

Thank you in advance

Jules

Re: Recently Engaged/ New To The Knot/ Advice?

• Options
    DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  When is your wedding date?  What venue are you using?

I don't have a whole lot of advice for you, as I'm fairly new to wedding planning myself.  However, the ladies here are awesome resources, you can ask anything on these boards and get answers, advice, and tips!
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    JuJuBee1977JuJuBee1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi DrPB2b13 ,
    Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

My wedding is 9/23/11

I am having the reception at Promises To Keep in Derry, NH.  We attended a wedding there back in 2006 and just loved it.  We are still determining if we will have the ceremony onsite or not, this is a big decision right now.

Where and when is your wedding?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome to the board!! The girls around here have TONS of good advice to give and plenty of good reviews for vendors.

I don't know what your budget is for photographer...but Melissa Koren Photography is AMAZING and she travels..not that your venue is very far from her anyways. Here is her website if you want to check her out! :D I had my engagement shoot with her already and it was so easy and fun!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    290image Made the Cut!!
    175image Are Ready to Party!!
    56image Are Party Poopers!!
    59image Still Checking the Calendar!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!! I am from out of state and all the ladies here have been so helpful with resources!!! If you are having cake, Jacques pastries is the way to go!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

As PP have said, the ladies here are fantastic! Don't be shy! :)

For dress shopping, I'd recommend Marry and Tux in Nashua. I worked with Stephanie and she was great!

Oh, and ditto on the Jaques cake! Yum! :)

Happy planning! :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I am pretty new to all of this as well, everyone on this board is super helpful! I feel waaaay less lost on all of this than I did before I started reading/posting here!

Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies,

Thank you for reaching out and i am so excited to be part of this community.  I feel like I got a team behind me and that lifts alot of weight off my shoulders.

We are actually are leaning toward Jaques for the cake and so many people have recomended them to us, so i am taking that as a sign. 

Our photography budget is somewhere between $2,000 - $3,500 and I feel like we could get a good company with that.  We are considering Parmar Photo and Black Thumb since we have seen there work first hand, but I do not believe either of them are available.  My fiance is on dj/video/photo duty and has already booked our videographer and DJ.

Do any of you girls know of a limo company in NH that rents party buses that hold over 20 people?

Thanks!

Jules
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Grace and Black Tie are awesome to work with.  I think both of them have party buses.

Flowers: Check out Lyndsey Loring
    Cake: Chickadee Hill, Jacques and Fredricks
    Photography: If it was in my budget I would go with Thomas Michael Photography
    Dress: Country Bridal (amazing prices on designer gowns), Mary & Tux, Modern Bride and Alfred Angelo just opened a flagship store in Danvers, MA
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow...your photography budget is sure to get you fabulous pictures! Melissa's prices start at 800 dollars...I get her for eight hours at 1500.00. Good luck with your search. 

Jacques is yummy for cakes!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    290image Made the Cut!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out creative cakes by debby also. So amazing :) For photography with your budget I would look into a photographic memory as many girls have used them and their work is amazing. If I had a bigger budget they would have been who we went with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations & welcome!  I'm newly engaged as well and although I've done a ton of research on vendors I don't have the personal experience to recommend any just yet.  Good luck in your planning though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Congratulations on your engagement!  Welcome to the board. It seems that you have gotten quite a bit done already!
     I am lucky enough to have a talented brother to take our wedding pictures. I have no idea what he charges but his website is  www.kylehoffmanphotography.com if you are interested in checking him out.

Anniversary
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi All,
    Thank you for your reccomendations, I will look into all of them.

Our budget for dj/photo/video is around 6k.  I personally would not spend that much but this is a gift from FH's uncle and he insists for us to spend it in all the right places.  We got our DJ for 1k (5 hours) and our videographer for $1500 (7 hours) so that leaves us a good amount for photo.  Though i may cut photo down a bit and add uplighting through our DJ...not sure yet.

My future mother in law is driving me crazy already, because she used to be a party planner, she feels the need to plan our party..NO THANK YOU! but i am trying so hard not to be rude.  I could def use advice in that area.  Do not want to get into a battle with that woman before my big day.

thanks!

Jules

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and good luck!!
    For photography we're using Keith Berry Photography.  We LOVED our meeting with him.  We condsidered Black Thumb as well, but they weren't available on our date when we talked to them. 
    Still debating our flowers and cake options....Jacques is out due to dietary restrictions, but we're considering Frederick's and I dream of Jeanne cakes.
    4/29/12
  • Options
    FireDancer04FireDancer04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats! 
    I have a tight budget but here are Photographers that I would liked to have if I had a bigger budget.

cmorrisphotography.com

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratulations on your engagement.  I'm getting married the day after you!  How exciting!!!

Good luck with your planning.  Any questions...ask away!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Catharine Morris's website is cmorrisphotography.com
    **It's okay, firedancer :)

You can see some of her work in my married bio. I second Jacques as a cake vendor - YUM!
    Dave Lynch was our DJ, and he was AMAZING!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oops...I've got a ton on my mind right now. I'll change it.
  • Options
    SoonToBeJRE11SoonToBeJRE11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations,
    you are doing great so far with planning your vendors.  Here are my recommendations

Limo bus that seats 20, GRACE LIMO, we got the black limo bus...beautiful, its picking me, my girls and my parents up at my parents house to go to the church.  then from the church the entire wedding party will ride in it to the reception.. i can't wait. 

Photography.  John Loconte.  for us this was a huge check off our list. While i'm not a professional photographer i love taking photos and creating photo books.  So it was important that we were able to have the rights to the images.  The other thing that was important was creative editing that was different from other photographers out there.  John Loconte had both and had many RAVES from many knotties.  We had looked at at least 100 sites and met with John and 1 other and we booked John and I felt like we scored big time by booking him.
    http://www.johnlophoto.blogspot.com/

DRESS, I tried on dresses once in the summer with my sister at Davids Bridal.  it was my first time and while i loved 1 dress i didn't have that ah haaa moment.  Last month I went back to davids with my mom, sister (moh) and my future step daughter.  Again very pretty dresses nothing i wowed over. 
    Same day had an appointment at Marry and Tux, showed her what I liked from brides mags and told her our budget.  The very first one I tried on, was the one.  My consultant picked it out, it was in my budget, it was a designer I loved, and me and my sister cried.  I had the A Ha moment you see on say yes to the dress. 

I hope you enjoy your planning, it is truly a once in a lifetime experience and you should relish in it rather than just get through it.  I even had a pretty big snafu with my venue and I am still coming out on top and I get to re-plan my wedding at a different venue, and I get 2 more weeks to drop those necessary pounds Kiss  again enjoy it, take it all in. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats everyone who is newly engaged! It's going to go by SO quickly...enjoy every second of it and take time to just be with your FI during this time. :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    290image Made the Cut!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    For what its worth, I did not have a good experience with Catharine Morris. Id be happy to show you my album that I paid waaaay to much for. And Id be willing to give you the password to my proofs on her client page for you to see that they are nothing special. Compared to her other work I definitely did NOT get what I paid for in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've seen more recent work the Catherine Morris did, Chicas & Arez's weddings were both beautifully photographed. 
    You can see Arez's vendor reviews here:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome!

I will always recommend my photographer Dave from A Photographic Memory!
     http://www.apmnh.com/

I also love Melissa Robotti's and Leah Haydock's photography style as well!
    http://melissarobotti.com/
    http://www.leahhaydock.com/

Happy planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards