Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Where to buy dress? DC or CA?

So, I wrote this post (http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_which-dress-3), and I feel comfortable moving forward with the dress I like better (and that you all liked better).

Here's my problem, I'm getting married in CA (where I tried the dress on initially), but I'm moving to DC in the next month. Does it make more sense to try to buy the dress in DC so I can be there for fittings, etc, and then transport the dress back to CA with me? Or does it make more sense to buy it in CA? The only time I would be able to go for a fitting in CA would be late March. 

Thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: Where to buy dress? DC or CA?

• Options

It depends on how often you will be in CA before the wedding.  I probably wouldnt' do a fitting as early as March for an August wedding.  But, if you'll be back say... late June, then it's not a bad idea. 

However, the dress will likely come in LONG before then, if you order it soon.  And many salons won't hold the dress.  So, it may be better to just order it locally in DC and bring it with you when you come back and just have it steamed before the wedding to get out any wrinkles.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_where-to-buy-dress-dc-or-ca?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:1d97e2c3-5d75-4c3e-921e-57dc872a486aPost:f77ceb9c-0311-4dca-bbc1-ee03ce16b9a3">Re: Where to buy dress? DC or CA?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on how often you will be in CA before the wedding.  I probably wouldnt' do a fitting as early as March for an August wedding.  But, if you'll be back say... late June, then it's not a bad idea.  However, the dress will likely come in LONG before then, if you order it soon.  And many salons won't hold the dress.  So, it may be better to just order it locally in DC and bring it with you when you come back and just have it steamed before the wedding to get out any wrinkles.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

<div>My mom lives in CA, so she could pick the dress up, but I'll be back in March and no other time. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_where-to-buy-dress-dc-or-ca?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:1d97e2c3-5d75-4c3e-921e-57dc872a486aPost:7e107497-74c4-445d-9b61-ca9221f75678">Re: Where to buy dress? DC or CA?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where to buy dress? DC or CA? : My mom lives in CA, so she could pick the dress up, but I'll be back in March and no other time. 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

I'd probably go for DC.  You'll probably want to try the dress on when you pick it up, just to make sure it fits right, the sizing is correct, there are no random stitching or rouching issues.  my BM picked up her BM dress and it looked fine on the hanger, but when it was on her body, we could see that the side was sewn wrong and it was hanging totally wrong.  We had to send it back and order another dress.

I'm sure they take more care with bridal gowns... but, once it leaves the salon, you are sort of stuck, and you'll want to do your final fittings closer to the wedding date.  So, my vote is for DC.  :)
  • Options
    I'd also suggest DC. You want to be available for fittings and any other issues that come up.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    My vote is for DC.  This way you can pick up and inspect the dress yourself, be available for fittings, and for anything else that may go wrong.  Also, you can easily transport the dress to CA as a carryon.

• Options
    Foreverly Bridal in Alexandria is where I got my dress. They are small you will need an appointment but their customer service is awesome.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

And thank you for the suggestion dewingedpixie! I'll see if they have the dress I want. 
  • Options
    Emee know that this store does pretty much only boutique custom gowns but they have a beautiful selection. I bought a Joy Houston dress. She's a local designer but the dresses compare to what you'd get at a kleinfelds.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards