Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

I picked up my dress! ....BUT...

Ok, so I got the call today that my dress was in!  The place I went is a little boutique and only open by appointment.  So between the owner's schedule and mine (going out of town for 10 days for vacation) and needing to either pickup or pay the balance within 10 days, only tonight worked to actually go pick it up.  No one could go with me so I went by myself.

I got there and tried on the dress.  I noticed the same couple things about the dress that I noticed with the sample -- the appliques weren't totally "tacked" down on the hip and the train was all wrinkly but the skirt wasn't at all.  I mentioned both of these things to the owner, and she assured me "Oh, that's how they are done - everyone's body is different so they don't tack down the ends so they don't pull funny.  You can have whoever does your alterations tack them down."  And then for the train she just they steam them after the alterations are all done. I just thought it was weird the skirt was nearly flawless but the train was seriously wrinkled.

So I didn't think a lot of it all until I got home and realized there were no tags on it, and then I started to wonder if she sold me the sample and was trying to pass it off as a new gown.  Do wedding dresses come with tags??  Like on the outside?  This has the size/designer/care tag on the inside like it should, but no hangtag on the outside.  Obviously it will be an uncomfortable conversation to "accuse" her of selling me the sample, but I ordered a new dress for a reason, and I just get the feeling it's not all on the up and up. 

Thoughts?

Re: I picked up my dress! ....BUT...

• Options
    My dress came with outside tags as well as inside ones.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I got an Eddy K.  The dress is clean but so was the sample.  In fact the daughter of the owner told me only 2 or 3 people had tried on the sample and tried to sell it to me the day I ordered. 

I found one picture the daughter took of me in the dress back in June that was an uber-close-up and compared it side by side.  I found a loose thread in the exact same spot and a noticeable crease/wrinkle in the exact same spot...I think I'm convinced enough to at least ask.  I just want to avoid a confrontation, but I'm hoping if I'm polite about it she'll find some way to prove it or just come clean.

• Options
    i would say something... that is wrong on so many levels if she did that to you. If I recall correctly, almost every dress that I tried on had a tag with the designer name on it and those were just the samples!  I feel for you... i'm getting fired up just thinking about it. i hope everything works out for you :) 
  • Options
    I'd check to make sure. A couple of months ago, there was a case on People's Court where something very similar happened-in that case the dress was discontinued, and instead of teelling the bride, they just gave her the sample.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_i-picked-up-my-dress-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:20406eb6-35c7-4437-aa91-6b0df3a6e52cPost:ede6c6d5-e060-48a8-96f9-97f00d6ea11e">Re: I picked up my dress! ....BUT...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got an Eddy K.  The dress is clean but so was the sample.  In fact the daughter of the owner told me only 2 or 3 people had tried on the sample and tried to sell it to me the day I ordered.  I found one picture the daughter took of me in the dress back in June that was an uber-close-up and compared it side by side. <strong> I found a loose thread in the exact same spot and a noticeable crease/wrinkle in the exact same spot...I think I'm convinced enough to at least ask.  I just want to avoid a confrontation, but I'm hoping if I'm polite about it she'll find some way to prove it or just come clean.</strong>
    Posted by lamoeller[/QUOTE]

Combined with the lack of tag, this is definitely fishy.  My dress definitely came with a couple outside tags.  Good luck getting it sorted out!
  • Options
    If you can, bring someone with you when you go back, to act as a witness. I'm sorry to say it, but it definitely sounds like it is the sample. You could try calling the North American office too, tell them your story and see how long their lead time is for ordering a dress. Ordering in June and receiving it now sounds awfully quick to me. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yes: let us know what happens, please!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It definitely sounds like it's a good possiblity she's sold you the sample. I did buy my dress at a sample sale (it was a fairly new sample that had not visible damage/dirt) and it did have a hang tag but it was one put on by the store with their stock number and price.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Is it at all possible to contact the designer directly?  And find out if the order was ever placed?  You could explain your situation.  Or at the very least, you could express your surprise that it was delivered to you at a less than excellent standard -- and ask how it should have been delivered.

Contact info for the North American head office, if you decide to try that:

Eddy K
    6300 Parc Ave.

Suite 316
    Montreal, Quebec H2V 4H8

Tel: 1 877 678 3235 (toll free)
    Tel: 514 223 9345
    Fax: 514 223 9346
    Email: info@eddykcollections.com

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain my dress had no tags.  But every sample I tried on was noticeably worn and dirty.

Do you recall the size of the sample you tried on?  The size of the one you ordered?  Could you go by the store with a friend (undet tthe guise of shopping for shoes or accessories) and ask to show your friend the sample?  If the sample is no longer there, then yeah, I'd definitely start asking some questions.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    When you go back, ask her to see the sample so you can compare the 2 gowns.  If she cannot produce the sample, you pretty much have your answer.  Although, if that is the case, she will probably just tell you she sold it to someone else. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ask for a shipping label or proof of shipping for the new dress! Everything that is shipped has some sort of invoice to go with it. It definitely sounds fishy to me. You don't need to see a price, but you do need to see a shipping invoice with a date with your dress clearly stated on it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_i-picked-up-my-dress-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:20406eb6-35c7-4437-aa91-6b0df3a6e52cPost:f864c3f1-05da-471d-8813-e1107e905001">Re: I picked up my dress! ....BUT...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Ask for a shipping label or proof of shipping for the new dress! Everything that is shipped has some sort of invoice to go with it. </strong>It definitely sounds fishy to me. You don't need to see a price, but you do need to see a shipping invoice with a date with your dress clearly stated on it.
    Posted by RussoWill[/QUOTE]<div>
    <div>Good point!

</div></div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I bought a sample dress and even that had outside labels.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well, I've been trading calls and emails with her all day today.  I had come to the conclusion this morning that if she didn't come clean, I wasn't going to push it -- the small things that are wrong with it from being a sample can be fixed or would only be noticed by me.  However, after talking with her, I just got more and more upset.  So I was as polite as I could while she was basically telling me I'm being a crazy bridezilla.

She gave me a story about a girl who bought the sample b/c her grandmother was hemming her dress and hemmed it too short, so that's why the sample isn't in the store anymore.  So side note, if that's you, please let me know - haha! 

So anyway, the sample is not there, she said everything else I found was a complete coincidence....basically just trying to say whatever will get her out of it.  She claims she'll find the tags and invoice/packing slips from my dress shipment and mail or fax them to me.  So I guess stay tuned to whether she's unethical (in which case I'll reveal the shop name in a review or 12), or whether I owe her a big, fat apology!  Thanks everyone for the input! 

• Options
    Lamoeller, I think you should complain to the BBB, and also the fraud division of the state attorney general's office. You purchased a new, unworn dress, not a sample. You should never have to pay full price for a sample dress. It sounds like she's scamming you. I think you need to find a way to contact the designer directly-they'll tell you if it shipped. The designer won't want her running a scam either. If she did sell you a sample, small claims court isn't expensive to file and you should get your money back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well, big, fat apology it is.....

The owner's daughter faxed me the shipping invoice...I had to eat some serious crow and apologize.  The invoice clearly said the designer, style, size, color, etc.  The shipping date was 8/2/12, which is entirely consistent with receiving it just under 3 weeks later given time to get through customs between Canada and the US.  I am so glad I kept things polite and posed the question like it could have been an honest mix-up, but I am still flabbergasted how the two dresses could be SO similiar in the areas I found the loose threads and creases!  Well, I'm sure they both think I'm just absolutely nuts now....and hopefully the seamstress that is putting in my bustle can fix the ripped threads easily and will steam it, because I want to avoid having to go back to the shop ever again!

The only thing I am glad about this whole situation is the invoice said "with Shawl" and they did not give me the shawl.  It's an April wedding in Minnesota, so chances are with any outdoor pictures, my shoulders could get cold and it will be nice to have that in between pictures.

• Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2012
    well... just because they produced an invoice, doesn't necessarily mean they gave you the dress that went with that invoice.  I probably would still call the designer...  cuz, the whole thing sounds fishy to me.    I would also call back and ask for the shawl. 
  • Options
    If you have the copy of that invoice now, definitely contact the designer and ask them to verify that it's legit.  If they do, then you're good.  If they do not have a record of it, then you know that they quickly whipped up an invoice to appease you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_i-picked-up-my-dress-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:20406eb6-35c7-4437-aa91-6b0df3a6e52cPost:3806fc63-107f-487e-8992-ca3e3c5789e2">Re: I picked up my dress! ....BUT...</a>:
    [QUOTE]well... just because they produced an invoice, doesn't necessarily mean they gave you the dress that went with that invoice.  I probably would still call the designer...  cuz, the whole thing sounds fishy to me.    I would also call back and ask for the shawl. 
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I'm the least confrontational person ever so I'd probably let it go IF the seamstress can fix the dress to your satisfaction and the dress isn't dirty or obviously used, which you mentioned it wasn't.

It almost sounds like you and another bride placed orders for the same dress around the same time, and instead of ordering both dresses, the owner decided to sell one of you the sample. That's the only explanation I can think of for the similarities between the dresses, the existence of an invoice and shipping label, and the fact that the sample is no longer in the owner's possession.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards