Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Ideas to "dress down" my fancy wedding dress?

First of all, it's okay if you think I'm crazy for even posting what I am. I have no interest in a big fancy wedding but my father is vicariously living through me to fulfill all of his fancy pants dreams.

I love my dress, it fits me so well and looks good. I happened upon it at a trunk show and got it when my grandmother cried when she saw it on me. Now that I am farther into planning I am seeing my laid-back outdoorsy tastes coming through and I'm afraid that our earthy wedding will look perfect minus me in my fancy dress. 

My dress is http://www.ellabridals.com/dress.php?id=121 in their Magnolia color with matching belt (which I don't think I'll wear).

Do you have any suggestions to help me not look ridiculously overdressed (and feel more comfortable)??

Re: Ideas to "dress down" my fancy wedding dress?

• Options
    I would wear the dress with out the belt and have you hair done simply.  Also only put a small comb if you want something in your hair instead of a tiara or veil.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    wow...i LOVE your dress!!! I agree with the previous poster, leave off the belt and have your hair done in a simple way. It will look beautiful in an outdoor wedding. Its not too poofy, I was expecting a huge ball gown which would definatly not work. But I think that dress will look amazing in any wedding.
  • Options
    no belt, simple hair, FUN shoes that are casual--like boots or flats or those running shoes that Annie wore in Father of the Bride. :)

and that dress really isn't that fancy--it's honestly perfect for an outdoor wedding,  imo. without the belt.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    Your dress is beautiful, and very classic and elegant.  I was expecting a huge ball gown covered in sequins after what you were saying.  Do you love the dress?  You won't look overdressed, I don't think.  Simple hair and flowers and voila, perfect
  • Options
    I love your dress, and I Dont think it's too fancy at all! I had similar concerns with my dress being too formal, but it's was wayyy over the top compared to yours. Wear it and smile - after all, its your wedding day. You are allowed to dress up a little :-)
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    I have a friend who wore a "fancier" dress to her 4th of July, outdoor wedding. She chose to wear a chunky, bead necklace, and it looked really cool.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think it's too fancy for an outdoor wedding. Keep the hair and jewelry simple :]
    Photobucket
  • Options
    A loosly crocheted bolero jacket (short sleeved) would make it a bit more casual... and it wouldn't add a whole lot of heat to the ensemble. 

But a lot of that depends on the weather.  I agree with PPs, it would be great without the belt.  You could down play it by having your "something blue" be your shoes.
  • Options
    Honestly, it's ok for the bride to look a little more dressed up than anyone else--it's her wedding day.  You could definitely keep the hair and makeup natural, etc. Look at the model. She is in an outdoorsy beach setting and looks great in that dress.  I am sure you will look great too.
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of what's already said.  The dress is fabulous as is, just get a simple hair style, natural make-up, and lose the belt.  Find casual shoes to complement the dress. 
    68 Looking Forward to Mtn Airimage
    31 Afraid of Altitude Sicknessimage
    4 Being Hunted By My Bounty Hunter Bridesmaid image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2010 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Location imageimage{Bio} (updated 3/2)
  • Options
    Beautiful dress, my friend wore the same one to a wedding on the beach (no belt) and it looked great. She kept her hair in a low pony tail without any jewelry on it. Just wore small earrings and that gave it a perfect look. As long as you don't go crazy with the accessories, you wont look fancy.
    Who would have thought that it would take more than 5000 miles to find you? BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    What a beautiful dress! I think its fairly simple and will be fine in any wedding, but wanted to say, regardless, who cares!
    My wedding was years ago, and what I learned most of all is just do what you want. If you want to wear a ballgown and get married in a barn, go with it. Who cares, its your day! But I don't think this dress will look out of place at all.
  • Options
    It's not covered in embellishments so I think without the belt it would be perfect!
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    your dress is lovely and I agree with the other ladies that it is your wedding day and you can be as dressed up as you want to be.  I am also agreed in that having your hair down and simple make-up should give you the look I think you are looking for.

Good luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    i think it's simple as is. it's pretty & will be fine. just do your hair down or casual & no veil, maybe sandals or flats, & just earrings or simple jewelry. i don't think it's too fancy at all.
  • Options
    the dress is very pretty and i don't think that it is to dressy.  you should keep the belt.  keeping your hair down and wearing flats is a good way to help dress it down. I think no matter what it will look great.

• Options
    Thank you all so very much. I think I will take the chunky jewelry and blue shoes suggestion (if I can find some!). You've made my day, thank you so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards