Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Bridesmaid dresses similar to my dress?

I selected halter bridesmaid dresses in lapis deep purple for my wedding. However my dress is also a halter white but that is the only thing that is similar. Several people have commented that they are too similar to mine and that the should be different. I don't know if there are any "rules" but I want the dresses to compliment mine, which I think they do. Any thought?

Re: Bridesmaid dresses similar to my dress?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-dresses-similar-to-my-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:24234aba-03ca-44d3-8a14-2666b6d452a7Post:f7c72ea2-054a-4e3e-9fce-b4220de35c95">Bridesmaid dresses similar to my dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I selected halter bridesmaid dresses in lapis deep purple for my wedding. However my dress is also a halter white but that is the only thing that is similar. Several people have commented that they are too similar to mine and that the should be different. I don't know if there are any "rules" but I want the dresses to compliment mine, which I think they do. Any thought?
    Posted by Jill0701[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think there are any rules on coordinating dresses, but I think it works better when the bridesmaids' dresses do sort of keep with the feel of the bride's dress.</div><div>
    </div><div>No one is going to be confused about who the bride is! I wouldn't think twice about having strapless bridesmaids with my strapless bridal gown. The bridesmaids' dresses *are* different... they're purple, and bridesmaids are in them. :) 

</div><div>Do you have pictures of the bridesmaids dresses/your gown?</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• Options
    There are no set rules about bridal dresses having to/shouldn't be coordinated with the bride's outfit. In terms of my own wedding, we're doing a 1940's old Hollywood theme so my gown and their dresses as well tend ot stick with that theme, other than that they have no design commonalities. 

I think you should do what makes you happy. As long as you like the dresses and your bridesmaids support your choice nothing else anyone says should matter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Do whatever you most like! I wanted my bridesmaids to compliment my dress, but not be the exact same. We found a dress that was almost the same as mine that we all loved, it was shorter with the same neckline, same tiering that my dress has, etc. However, I felt it was a little too similar to my dress so we went with one with the same neckline, same material, and same "feel." If you like what you've picked, just go with it. This is a day about you and your fiance after all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Get them if you like them, there arn't any rules other than the rule of being courteous to your BMs about the dress choice.

If you are a stickler for tradition, and someone keeps bugging you about how similar they are, give them this historical gem:

Bridesmaids were originally intended as decoys for the bride on the wedding day, and thus were dressed exactly as she was.  It is believed in many cultures that evil spirits attempt to distrupt weddings and attack the bride, thus having 'false brides' around confused the spirits.  This also became convenient if a political coup occured and a gang of bravos arrived to kidnap and ransom the bride.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    That's really odd, when I went shopping for bridesmaid dresses, they asked to see my gown in order to MATCH them. I thought it was a cute idea. My dress has flowers on the side and so do the bridesmaid dresses. However the material of the dresses are different and mine is strapless, while theirs has a one shoulder. 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. When I first put my dress on, I knew it was the one. When my bridesmaids walked out of the dressing rooms with the halter dress on, I loved it on all of them. Now looking at the David's Bridal virtual dress your wedding, my choice was correct. The halters give it a uniform look, just like I imagined. Now I just have to wait for the big day in March!
  • Options
    Yeah, I chose my bridesmaids dress with a sweetheart neckline specifically to match the neckline of my dress (from putting the pictures together it looks very put together that way)

And, honestly, the tradition used to be for bridesmaids to wear exactly what the bride was (since they were there to confuse evil spirits which one was the bride) them wearing different outfits is actually *against* that tradition
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards